Wiki Posts
Search

QF award SYD-ADL...strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
QF award SYD-ADL...strategy?

Trying to get space for two on a specific QF flight, SYD-ADL next March, on a Thursday afternoon.

Booked one seat in J with Avios. Done. (Only award space QF released was U1..no X)

Need one more seat.

So my choice is:

1. Wait, see if they release U. if not buy a coach ticket for ____? (Was 150 now AUD215...could be much more ?)

2. Buy the cheapest right now, just fly coach

3. Pick up a J award on the next flight (one hour later) and see if they'll let me fly earlier with my SO- this at the airport on day of travel.

This would be either a BA or AA award booking.

Any opinion as to the odds of success for option 3?

Thx!

PS I know J isnt worth the money, miles nor avios...just that they didnt have any coach awards AND I had piles of AVIOS. I wouldnt buy J for a 1:30 flight...
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
1. Could it be much more? YES. It can increase to a fairly large amount. Given the flight is not for another few months and it's already gone up from AUD 150 to AUD 215 suggests that the load may well be high, increasing the risk of a higher fare if you wait.

2. Yes, this would be the sensible option. I'd personally do 2 unless I know the route really well and know how the fares move, as per 1 and am I am happy to "risk" the likely maximum fare by waiting for an award space to open up.

3. Not a good idea. For a start, the earlier flight could well be full. QF will allow a change on a flex ticket but probably not for an award booking (particularly made on another FF scheme) unless they have a compelling reason to do so.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
Do you have a fourth option - points plus pay? You mentioned that you had points to spare.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Looking at seat maps there is one J taken and 8 Y occupied.

But not an accurate reflection of sold space I assume? Seems very very empty though- however I dont know QF polices and how maps correlate.

EF shows inventory a 9 for all classes down to S...no N no O no E no G no Q no X. But just that flight, others before and after have some cheaper inventory classes

I dont think points plus pay works if there is no underlying award inventory...all ears if I am missing. Avios or AA miles only.

Thx!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
On coach fares QF will regularly run a few sales over this period so just keep checking
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by grov
Do you have a fourth option - points plus pay? You mentioned that you had points to spare.
Would that work with non-QF points though? The OP seem to be talking about BA Avios or AA miles.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:36 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
3. Pick up a J award on the next flight (one hour later) and see if they'll let me fly earlier with my SO- this at the airport on day of travel.
I would never do this with my partner, however IME QF treat QF J awards the same as revenue fares in that they will allow you to move flights at the airport (and only at the airport). I have no experience with QF flights booked via Avios, however QF status is likely to also be influencing this situation.

If I was in your position I would purchase the second fare with cash.

Last edited by m0hamed; Dec 18, 2015 at 3:43 am
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:52 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I would never do this with my partner, however IME QF treat QF J awards the same as revenue fares in that they will allow you to move flights at the airport (and only at the airport). I have no experience with QF flights booked via Avios, however QF status is likely to also be influencing this situation.

If I was in your position I would purchase the second fare with cash.
Agreed. Travel on the same aircraft. Otherwise you risk problems in case one person is delayed.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 5:09 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
QF have moved me to an earlier domestic flight on an avios redemption, done in the lounge.

I guess it is a question as to whether you'd be happy on separate flights, if so book the two available award seats and hope you can move to the same flight on the day. Otherwise, book the cash ticket now and one will have to travel economy.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 5:35 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nux
QF have moved me to an earlier domestic flight on an avios redemption, done in the lounge.

I guess it is a question as to whether you'd be happy on separate flights, if so book the two available award seats and hope you can move to the same flight on the day. Otherwise, book the cash ticket now and one will have to travel economy.
But do you know if there was a fly forward directive for operational reasons that day that enabled all pax to move to earlier flights?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 5:45 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by m0hamed
But do you know if there was a fly forward directive for operational reasons that day that enabled all pax to move to earlier flights?
Not sure, but neither flight seemed oversold as there was still J/Y availability on both and J was not full on my flight.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nux
Thinking one step further, if you'd be happy flying on separate flights, does that mean that the choice of the primary flight is not actually critical? Looking at award availability on the day that I think you're referring to, there are later flights that are U2. But of course if there's a reason you need to try to get to ADL by a certain time, that may not work.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the inputs.

- I have a dinner booked at penfolds Macgill. So the early flight really is imperative for both of us. I will likely book Y for cash in the next 3-4 weeks. The later flight is indeed U2, but leaving 1:15 between landing and dinner isnt going to work

- They have various 'fare sales' active- fare codes of ODEAL, EDEALAP, SDEAL, QDEAL exist on this routing...just not O E S or Q inventory on this one flight. Ive set EF alerts, I should be able to grab something if they open that flight

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Dec 18, 2015 at 6:58 pm
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Just checking, is the Thursday you are flying on March, the day before Good Friday? If so, suggest you lock in what ever you have now as it would be very busy at that time as people travel to visit families.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Very good thought....

This is March 17, so the week prior.

Question for QF flyers:

Does QF let people reserve seats when they purchase?? On other carriers (my primary is AA) the Seat Map is a good indicator of load- not perfect, but good. When I look at this flight there are literally 9 seats occupied in Y and one in J (my wife).

If QF has sold 80 seats but only allows their very top tier flyers to reserve this far out, Id like to know...

thx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.