Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Does anyone actually pay for premium economy on TransPac flights

Does anyone actually pay for premium economy on TransPac flights

Old Nov 20, 15, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi View Post

I'm astonished that Qantas would comp that many upgrades, they prefer to fly with premium seats empty than to give them away for no good reason.
I dated a Qantas Captain. I never got anything for free
Old Nov 20, 15, 11:57 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
to be honest, if a random passenger asks me how I paid for my ticket while I'm hanging around waiting to use the loo I'd either tell him to mind his own business or give him the wrong answer - eg won it for free in a raffle at work. If the other four who claimed to have been comped were Aussies I suspect that you fell for a good old fashioned leg-pull.
Exactly. Its Oz culture (IMHO) to understate things. Few people like tall poppies. Its rare for people to boast that they pay to fly in anything other than the lowest class - if they do discuss why they are not in Y it is likely to be understated. It may be different in other parts of the world.
Old Nov 21, 15, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Tbh, if someone came up and asked me whether I had bought my ticket or been given an upgrade I'd tell them in no uncertain terms to mind their own business.

A straw poll by the toilets and I'd assume they weren't the full quid.
Old Nov 21, 15, 12:36 am

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I dated a Qantas Captain. I never got anything for free
They didn't make you their Cat A beneficiary? Sad face indeed. I got that while going out with a Qantas cabin crew member, but admittedly I never used it for anything more exciting than flying CBR-SYD about every other weekend.
Old Nov 21, 15, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by og View Post
Exactly. Its Oz culture (IMHO) to understate things. Few people like tall poppies. Its rare for people to boast that they pay to fly in anything other than the lowest class - if they do discuss why they are not in Y it is likely to be understated. It may be different in other parts of the world.
Mmm, I'm Australian and I've paid for J (and PEY) with my own cash as well as had companies pay to fly me in J. If somebody asked, I'd just tell them I bought a J ticket, it's no big secret. OTOH if a stranger asked me at the toilet if I paid or got upgraded, I would think its none of their business, so I'd tell them to pi** off. I don't think I'd be too receptive to some random guy asking everybody they could see how they got their ticket, as per the person who "polled" everyone they could find standing near the toilet.
Old Nov 21, 15, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
[mod hat] Just a reminder to stay on topic and not to attack someone personally. [/mod hat]
Old Nov 22, 15, 7:28 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
Mmm, I'm Australian and I've paid for J (and PEY) with my own cash as well as had companies pay to fly me in J. If somebody asked, I'd just tell them I bought a J ticket, it's no big secret. OTOH if a stranger asked me at the toilet if I paid or got upgraded, I would think its none of their business, so I'd tell them to pi** off. I don't think I'd be too receptive to some random guy asking everybody they could see how they got their ticket, as per the person who "polled" everyone they could find standing near the toilet.
Eight people waiting outside the loo - I'd be more concerned about what the J meal was than what anybody paid for their ticket.
Old Nov 24, 15, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Eight people waiting outside the loo - I'd be more concerned about what the J meal was than what anybody paid for their ticket.
Agreed - I've never seen 8 people waiting for the PE loo at any one time.
Old Nov 25, 15, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Plt, HHonors Gold
I did last year when I had to fly out at the last minute from DFW. It was $2,500 for Y, $4,500 for PE or $10,000 for J. No brainer.
Old Dec 9, 15, 8:17 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
AA must think people pay for Premium Economy since they are introducing it across their longhaul fleet (except 767's):

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/premiumeconomy.jsp
Old Jan 12, 16, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
As a 20 something who makes decent money but has competing goals (every 2k gets you closer to that down payment on a house!) I always look at PEY and have splurged for it once on my honeymoon (CX). This May I'll be heading to a wedding in Perth and doing back to back red-eyes PER-SYD and SYD-LAX before catching a connection to work. That extra 2k for PEY sure seemed enticing!

Alas, house wins this round and I'll find a way to tough it through.

P.S. I'm actually very stoked about AA going the PEY route. With systemwide upgrades reduced from 8 to 4 in the devaluation this year hopefully there's a way to upgrade to PEY or an affordable price to play.