FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Woolies thinks QF is on the nose (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1718604-woolies-thinks-qf-nose.html)

glazfolk Nov 3, 2015 4:32 am

Just to add a different perspective ....

Down here in Tas we were never able to get Qantas points from Woolies anyway. One reason I switched to Coles.

mattm199 Nov 6, 2015 8:12 pm

Agree, the new Woolies $ scheme seems a dud.

My second weekly shop since the changes, and again nothing earned Woolies $.
Looked like very few orange tags in the aisles, and on products or brands that aren't part of a typical shop. How can they think you're going to ignore the yellow sale or discount tags, and choose the others for the Woolies $?

AustralianPoochie Nov 7, 2015 8:37 am

Less orange tags mean Woolworths will be keeping more $ seeing they will keep the margin off the products you do buy, and then, not having to account for the few cents to be collected if you do buy the orange tagged products.
Same reasoning that they got rid of EDR, its all about keeping $ within the organisation.
I have cut up my new WR card, and wrote a very terse note on their "contact" section of the WR website, not to send me any more cards, and to take me off their contact list.
Optus gone, that video cd rental that used to give QFF points under Telstra gone, now EDR gone...
Now to collect mass points (ala 800 QFF points for $119 (ADL - MEL)/or $89 if flying JQ ADL - MEL on a plus bundle).

Platy Nov 7, 2015 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie (Post 25677325)
Now to collect mass points (ala 800 QFF points for $119 (ADL - MEL)/or $89 if flying JQ ADL - MEL on a plus bundle).

If you need some points Qantas EpiQure have some nice bonuses in the 5,000 ($250 spend) to 10,000 point ($350 spend) range for ordering certain lots of 6 bottles of quality wine! Far less bother than flying back and forth between MEL and ADL (unless you need to do that anyway being based in the wonderful Adelaide!).

And far more "rewarding" than worrying about one or two 100 points a week lost on your Woolworths grocery bill...

...just an idea I'm trialling myself at the moment...order online from both Coles and Woolworths using their online order and delivery system specifically choosing items on offer from either store as needed/available - it is easy to compare items on sale directly online: reinvest the savings in online wine purchase on bonus offer from EpiQure and earn multiples more points than you would have done on everyday rewards!

...or just use the money saved to buy the points from American Express at $25 per 1,000 and transfer to airline of your choice, including those which offer far better value than QF! First class one way to Europe 127,500 points on SQ first/suites not 192,000 on QF/EK first...50% better value...

...yep, losing a few 1000s of QF points a year due too the changes to Woolworths Everyday Rewards is a very minor issue...

ozziegumby Nov 7, 2015 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by mattm199 (Post 25675896)
Agree, the new Woolies $ scheme seems a dud.

My second weekly shop since the changes, and again nothing earned Woolies $.
Looked like very few orange tags in the aisles, and on products or brands that aren't part of a typical shop. How can they think you're going to ignore the yellow sale or discount tags, and choose the others for the Woolies $?

Yes as you noticed it doesn't apply to the mainstream items. Of my weekly shop yesterday I only had one item (Darryl Lea Rocky Road) that had it applied. Guess it is more of a perception thing to increase the sales of higher margin products. It also looks like the product is a 'special' when it is fully priced.

They rolled out the new scheme very quickly:

* New cards in the mail almost immediately (even thou the barcode did not change)
* Point of sale machines updated with new branding changed overnight
* Those Jetstar Orange tags rolled out swiftly

(seems they have been planning it for a while and wanted the QF logo gone right way) No love lost.

perthite Nov 7, 2015 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by ozziegumby (Post 25678607)
(seems they have been planning it for a while and wanted the QF logo gone right way) No love lost.

I am more inclined to think the decision had been made and planning had been under way for a while. The timing of the leaks, and the announcement by Woolworths seems more aligned with the all the material being distributed to the shops, weekly catalogue being published etc.

moa999 Nov 7, 2015 9:08 pm

Although it does seem strange to still run the QF program concurrent for 3months - costing them double. Be better to give notice, and then launch the new program with even more discounts.

Himeno Nov 7, 2015 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by ozziegumby (Post 25678607)
They rolled out the new scheme very quickly:

* New cards in the mail almost immediately (even thou the barcode did not change)
* Point of sale machines updated with new branding changed overnight
* Those Jetstar Orange tags rolled out swiftly

They send new POS out to stores 1-2 weeks ahead.
IT updates (ie, register branding changes) are uploaded overnight.
They put all the old EDR cards and POS in stores on "recall" 2 weeks before they announced the program changes to store staff (which was 4 days before they publicly released). They claimed a T&C text error and to pull all the EDR stock in store.

og Nov 7, 2015 11:10 pm

I have low expectations of "orange tags" (a bit like the Orange Cancer - AKA JQ). In fact, I can only recall once when I have seen such a tag in my local store. But then again, some time ago my local store was known as the most expensive store in the network. I have only persisted with it because it's in easy walking distance (with Coles a bit further up the road - also walkable). Aldi sits (un)comfortably under Woolies. Also, I have never received any email promotions even though my EDR account was open for sending apam. Now I really can't see any reason for carrying the new orange card in my wallet

PaulST Nov 8, 2015 10:32 pm

For me it really won't make a difference. I get far more QFF points with credit card sign-up bonuses, flying and actual purchase anywhere (especially if they take Amex). I'd hazard a guess and say that I'd have got less than 1000 QFF points from Woolies, yet I've made far more than that with 4 flights with Jetstar...

Woolies was a better car park and is slightly closer so I'll be sticking with them.

SandA4Eva Dec 2, 2015 5:40 pm

Keep quiet

Looks like Woolies have given me 6000 bonus points to stop hassling them about missing bonus points.

given it is now impossible to reconcile points earned with points transferred, I can't be entirely sure. But 6000 is probably about right.

og Dec 13, 2015 8:14 pm

Never say never OR why make it easy when you can do the oppoite

Seems The "fresh food people" (who ever they are) have egg on their face and may be about to make the new system "simpler and fairer" (without apologies to QF spin).

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retai...13-glmnct.html

perthite Dec 13, 2015 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by og (Post 25859494)
Seems The "fresh food people" (who ever they are) have egg on their face and may be about to make the new system "simpler and fairer" (without apologies to QF spin).

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retai...13-glmnct.html

Could also be that by demonstrating they were willing to move away from Qantas, that Qantas has been willing to shift position as well....

serfty Dec 13, 2015 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by perthite (Post 25859518)
Could also be that by demonstrating they were willing to move away from Qantas, that Qantas has been willing to shift position as well....

That aligns with my thinking - may not quite a game of Bluff but getting there.

og Dec 14, 2015 2:51 pm

The deal is done. Time for someone to reach out and tell us about it.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retai...14-gln6rz.html