Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bid Now Upgrade Success Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:47 pm

so i flew in PE on qf02 and back on qf09, bid £360 per pax x 2 and £200 per pax x 2 on the return and both unsuccessful

oh well

thanks
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:16 pm

Aiming for an Upgrade Bid Success Story...

To my surprise, I received an Upgrade Offer email. I'm only PE (T) hence my shock. It's QF118 (HKG-SYD), a night flight and I would LOVE a bed. Any thoughts on making a successful bid? I would imagine many PE passengers also got this email as the cabin is chocked full.

Clicked through the link and seems I can also bid on the return (QF117), but that's a day flight and the cabin isn't anywhere near full (yet), so...

The marker(s) goes from No Bid to AUD1,680. It will be cash only, no points.

And if it increases my chances, I'll cancel my special meal request. (Would add it back, but don't expect a meal (dinner) on that flight, and it might too late to add back anyway.)
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
Originally Posted by DragonSoul

To my surprise, I received an Upgrade Offer email. I'm only PE (T) hence my shock. It's QF118 (HKG-SYD), a night flight and I would LOVE a bed. Any thoughts on making a successful bid? I would imagine many PE passengers also got this email as the cabin is chocked full.

Clicked through the link and seems I can also bid on the return (QF117), but that's a day flight and the cabin isn't anywhere near full (yet), so...

And if it increases my chances, I'll cancel my special meal request. (Would add it back, but don't expect a meal (dinner) on that flight, and it might too late to add back anyway.)
I flew qf 117/118 in January and got the bid upgrade email from QF for qf 117 (did a classic points upgrade in 118)

from premium (T) to U I was successful with a bid of 10000 points + 305 NZD which I thought wasn't a terrible deal
DragonSoul likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:37 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

What is the lowest price after zero? I assume it’s $280? I have been successful at $305
DragonSoul likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:48 pm

Yes, the lowest bid is $280. Would be very happy to get it for $305. Just don't know would be reasonable.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:58 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Yes, the lowest bid is $280. Would be very happy to get it for $305. Just don't know would be reasonable.
It would depend on how full J is. Points upgrades are ahead of you (and maybe staff?). If your departure date is soon and they’re still selling J9, then a low bid is likely to be successful.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:49 am

What is J9?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
What is J9?
Availability of at least 9 in booking class J - that is the number of reservations which the airline is currently prepared to take at any one time in that booking class. You cannot necessarily extrapolate from such figures to any other guess or estimate of how well or poorly the flight is booked, or how full the airline expects it to be on departure, so be cautious about taking too much from availability figures.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Availability of at least 9 in booking class J - that is the number of reservations which the airline is currently prepared to take at any one time in that booking class. You cannot necessarily extrapolate from such figures to any other guess or estimate of how well or poorly the flight is booked, or how full the airline expects it to be on departure, so be cautious about taking too much from availability figures.
Looking at EF, there's only one available seat in J and about 25 blocked seats. There were a few more available seats yesterday morning.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:02 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Looking at EF, there's only one available seat in J and about 25 blocked seats. There were a few more available seats yesterday morning.
You need to look at flight availability, not seat maps.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by sxc

You need to look at flight availability, not seat maps.
Thanks. I'm new to EF, and haven't got a clue! (As you may have guessed.)

Got the result: J9 C9 D9 I9 W6 R3 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L0 G0

That's the J9 you mentioned, right?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:36 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks. I'm new to EF, and haven't got a clue! (As you may have guessed.)

Got the result: J9 C9 D9 I9 W6 R3 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L0 G0

That's the J9 you mentioned, right?
Yes correct. I think you can low ball it - but of course, you can't be certain!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:01 am

Not much of a gambler me. Might drop it $50, which would put it in the higher end of the bottom third.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:48 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Not much of a gambler me. Might drop it $50, which would put it in the higher end of the bottom third.
Let us know how you go!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:14 pm

My Upgrade Bid was ... (perhaps unsurprisingly) unsuccessful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.