Bid Now Upgrade Success Stories

Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Thanks, so if I bought 3000 more points (to total 6000 points between us) this would enable us to bid for an upgrade?
No guarantee you’ll get offered an opportunity to bid.

6,000 for 2 - no. 3,000 for one won’t do it let alone just doubling for 2.

The data point above of SYD-CNS is more indicative. I should add that my comments are based on points only and no cash component. If cash is added, it may be enough.

Last edited by JClasstraveller; Jan 10, 2020 at 12:35 pm
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If you buy more points from QF no guarantee you will be successful. Would guess HTI would be a route with many (high) status pax looking for upgrades.
Would be better to spend your money on exit row seats
Thank you 👍🏼 we already have the exit row so it’s really the value of the lunch!! I’ll save it for Sydney.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
No guarantee you’ll get offered an opportunity to bid.

6,000 for 2 - no. 3,000 for one won’t do it let alone just doubling for 2.

The data point above of SYD-CNS is more indicative. I should add that my comments are based on points only and no cash component. If cash is added, it may be enough.
Thanks for the tips 👍🏼 I did forget to add that obviously I would have to add $$$ to the points.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you ���� we already have the exit row so it’s really the value of the lunch!! I’ll save it for Sydney.
Would have been an expensive meal in points & $$
Depending on the time of the flight may be a snack vs a real meal. Short haul aircraft meals are no better than a supermarket boxed ready meal reheated.
Anyway with BA Silver (=OW Sapphire) better to eat in the QF lounge.
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...t-lounges.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 11, 2020 at 3:58 am Reason: No QF HTI lounge!. Fixing formatting due to software downgrade
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Would have been an expensive meal in points & $$
Depending on the time of the flight may be a snack vs a real meal. Short haul aircraft meals are no better than a supermarket boxed ready meal reheated.
Anyway with BA Silver (=OW Sapphire) better to eat in the QF lounge.
I think it's classed as a lunchtime flight (12:40 p.m.) so even in Y we should get something hot...? It's HTI-SYD so would be stunned if they squeezed in a Qantas Club at HTI!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I think it's classed as a lunchtime flight (12:40 p.m.) so even in Y we should get something hot...? It's HTI-SYD so would be stunned if they squeezed in a Qantas Club at HTI!
Unlikely to be hot at lunchtime - more likely a sandwich or such.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:00 am

I read a trip report where a meatball panini was given out, has this been cut?

Last edited by choosethedrew; Jan 11, 2020 at 3:05 am
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read a trip report where a meatball panini was given out, has this been cut?
That was thirty months ago and while I can't say there will be nothing hot offered, these days the offering tends to be simpler.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
That was thirty months ago and while I can't say there will be nothing hot offered, these days the offering tends to be simpler.
Thanks for that, will grab something at the airport in this case!
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:19 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Thanks for that, will grab something at the airport in this case!
If you routinely need a substantial lunch (as opposed to a snack), then I wouldn't rely on aircraft Y catering to satisfy. The pre-flight airport snack will save the day.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Flying on QF118 (HKG-SYD) tonight, bid 750AUD from Y to J, minimum was 600AUD. Bid accepted this morning. Dummy booking suggests J5 Y0 and absolutely full to the brim on the other flight tonight but I did not look up on expertflyer. FYI fare bucket K, and OWE (BA). Will report if the TP and avios are credited as J or Y.

Delighted to score a flat bed on a red-eye after a day of work but that was as far as I would pay for an upgrade, suspect someone is going to get opup then they took whatever revenue they can.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JulianL
Flying on QF118 (HKG-SYD) tonight, bid 750AUD from Y to J, minimum was 600AUD. Bid accepted this morning. Dummy booking suggests J5 Y0 and absolutely full to the brim on the other flight tonight but I did not look up on expertflyer. FYI fare bucket K, and OWE (BA). Will report if the TP and avios are credited as J or Y.

Delighted to score a flat bed on a red-eye after a day of work but that was as far as I would pay for an upgrade, suspect someone is going to get opup then they took whatever revenue they can.

Tier point and avios credited in J but YMMV
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Missed this thread before I bid. Success both ways. I bid $850 AUD each way or about $550 US. Flying PE originally. Fare was a bit last minute so roughly $4K. Company sprung for the PE so for less than $1200 out of pocket to fly Business RT didn't seem like the worst money i've spent.

3/6/2020 LAX -SYD A380
Return SYD-SFO Dreamliner

First time on both those aircraft so I was pretty stoked. Outbound flight was full. Cannot believe the number of pax the A380 carries. Wasn't thrilled about getting the 3rd degree by ICE or some kind of border cops when boarding but it is a first world problem to be questioned and having your bags rifled through prior to riding the escalator to the upper deck.

I thought the coronavirus thing has killed air flight. Not to Australia - although they aren't taking flight from China etc...

Return flight - I'm not so sure of the load. Don't have EF. I had a decent seat in PE so I was tempted to cancel the upgrade but but I don't see going back to Australia any time soon and I've never been in Intl Business on a 787 (or upstairs on an A380) so I figured "why not?"

YOLO, right?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: Qantas
Hi all,

I am flying to Manila from Sydney later this week (14.04) via QF19 and i would like to place a bid for Y to J upgrade.

One way fare is $2500 for business and $900 for economy.

4 days ago, the minimum bid was $590 and today went down to $420 (max $3500).

I checked expertflyer and there are still at least J7.

I was wondering what would be a good/reasonable bid? Any pointers will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FF2022
I was wondering what would be a good/reasonable bid? Any pointers will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Just saw this - you are probable already in Manila.

With J 7 a week out, I would have put in min. bid plus ~$20.

What was the I availability.

BTW, Welcome to FlyerTalk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.