Same-day flight change options??

Old Jun 29, 17, 1:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Was that in the domestic check-in at the international terminal?
T1 used to offer more (unpublished) flexibility on non-flexible tickets than over at T3, but reports the last year or 2 are mixed.
This was at T1, counter 26 or something like that. She didn't even blink when I asked whether there is something earlier, just asked whether 12:30 works apologising that the 2 earlier flights are sold out in J.
Old Jun 29, 17, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
This was at T1, counter 26 or something like that. She didn't even blink when I asked whether there is something earlier, just asked whether 12:30 works apologising that the 2 earlier flights are sold out in J.
OK. They would not have been so accommodating if you had asked for the same over in the domestic T3 terminal
Old Jun 29, 17, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe that award tickets are eligible to be booked onto earlier flights
Old Jun 29, 17, 11:02 pm

Programs: QFF WP
OK. They would not have been so accommodating if you had asked for the same over in the domestic T3 terminal
No they wouldn't have been, considering that is the Virgin Terminal.
Old Jun 30, 17, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gilby08 View Post
No they wouldn't have been, considering that is the Virgin Terminal.
Indeed - also there is no check in facility in the other terminals at Melbourne ( including T2 where international flights arrive )

I suspect that he was misreading it as a Sydney connection rather than a Melbourne one
Old Jul 4, 17, 7:17 am

Just to add another anecdote into the mix, Qantas readily allowed me to move forward a domestic flight (connecting to international) to an earlier one at SYD DOM. It was a J ticket - pretty sure it was a sale faire. I asked politely when I rocked up and she put me on the next flight departing in 45 minutes
Old Jul 4, 17, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
It may sometimes happen or sometimes it may not.

I would not be relying on or making plans that rely this occurring.
Old Feb 6, 19, 7:59 am

Programs: *A Gold, OWE
Here's my situation. I am a QF Plat and have a QF flexible business class booking for MEL-SYD.
The ticket is on a non-QF(OW) stock with ongoing flights after a stopover in SYD.
I would like to switch to an earlier (30 Min. flight) since that would be an A330.
QF told me "Go to your travel agent".
TA told me "We would need to do a full reissue/new issue" (which I can't/don't do for a specific reason)
If I get to the airport early enough would QF CI change my flight to the earlier one, or is that a "mission impossible".
Old Feb 6, 19, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by TheAirman View Post
If I get to the airport early enough would QF CI change my flight to the earlier one, or is that a "mission impossible".
If your booked fare bucket is 'J' and there are seats in business on an earlier flight then there should be little issue doing this at check in.

If you have no luggage, then the sevice desk at the MEL T1 Business lounge would be a better place to do that.

Note there is always the chance that the 330 will be subbed out for a 737, even on the day.
Old Feb 7, 19, 2:17 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Sounds like it is not full J and the A330 flights MEL-SYD are often sold out in J with WP/SG upgrades that clear the day before .. I've failed to get full J on the A330 for this reason. But really not worth it and often the B737 service in J is better for meal/wine (and how do you use a sleeper seat on hour flight with meal service?). If the ticket is restricted to changes by TA only (and some are for various reasons), then QF can't (no airline can any more thanks to computerization).
Old Feb 14, 19, 11:35 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; SK EBG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, SPG Gold
The comment up thread was the best. In my personal experience I have moved flights in Y, J, upgrades, awards, TA issued, QF issued etc etc from either the machine (proactively offered), checkin service desk, lounge, or service desk near the gates. Always these are heavily restricted tickets. Once at the airport QF controls it.

I have even be told no twice or three times to ask again at another location, and all was fine. I am walking past them anyway so no big deal.

So so I would not count on it, but it may happen based on loads and helpfulness. I also think there is a capability thing, as sometimes it has taken more than a quick click of the keyboard. Or maybe it should have taken a few clicks?

i echo the thoughts on the 330. No real advantage except that you a guaranteed a video screen, but good luck getting through a film on Syd to Mel.

KF