Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How Does the T4 to TBIT Xfer At LAX Work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Does the T4 to TBIT Xfer At LAX Work?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Question about this - I'm doing this in a week, and it's been decades since I've flown from the US to Australia...there is no need to check-in again with QF? I seem to remember that they had to check the electronic ETA or something. I presume my luggage will be checked through (connecting from LAN to AA to QF, all OW) and I'll have my BP, or can get it at the AC/FL in T4, but even so, there's now no need for that check as there used to be?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by zpaul
Question about this - I'm doing this in a week, and it's been decades since I've flown from the US to Australia...there is no need to check-in again with QF? I seem to remember that they had to check the electronic ETA or something. I presume my luggage will be checked through (connecting from LAN to AA to QF, all OW) and I'll have my BP, or can get it at the AC/FL in T4, but even so, there's now no need for that check as there used to be?
Qantas no longer post staff these days to the AA lounge in T4. At the Gate 44 desk they do, however, check your res and print bp if necessary before letting you on the bus.

Do allow plenty of time. The bus connection is unreliable in keeping to schedule, is uncomfortable in both waiting area and riding, and it drops you off in a remote corner of TBIT quite a walk from where you likely need to be for boarding. In the plus column it is, well, airside. Overall, I'd rather do that than the no-precheck security.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by martin33
Qantas no longer post staff these days to the AA lounge in T4. At the Gate 44 desk they do, however, check your res and print bp if necessary before letting you on the bus.

Do allow plenty of time. The bus connection is unreliable in keeping to schedule, is uncomfortable in both waiting area and riding, and it drops you off in a remote corner of TBIT quite a walk from where you likely need to be for boarding. In the plus column it is, well, airside. Overall, I'd rather do that than the no-precheck security.
Thanks, martin33!

My worry is check-in time if I go landside. I have a six-hour layover, and IIRC QF limits how early you can check in at the counters, even for F. I can always hang out in the FL for a while in T4, but I'd like to get into TBIT and check out the Business and First Lounges since the last time I flew threw, the lounge (singular) was little more than a warehouse with chairs and mini fridges.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Thanks, martin33!

My worry is check-in time if I go landside. I have a six-hour layover, and IIRC QF limits how early you can check in at the counters, even for F. I can always hang out in the FL for a while in T4, but I'd like to get into TBIT and check out the Business and First Lounges since the last time I flew threw, the lounge (singular) was little more than a warehouse with chairs and mini fridges.
Question:

You are arriving from INTL into LAX? (ie AA SCL-LAX)?

Wonder how that impacts the situation...
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Question:

You are arriving from INTL into LAX? (ie AA SCL-LAX)?

Wonder how that impacts the situation...
No, from a domestic flight. The day's itin includes SCL-JFK-LAX-MEL-onwards...
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I just did this a couple of days ago. Actually flew in on US Airways in T6 - walked to T4 and got right on the shuttle. All in all it took me 10 minutes to walk and 10 minutes to transfer. I did arrive right as the bus was leaving and my boarding pass was checked. Can't speak to the frequency of the bus schedule but for me it was easy and avoided me having to go through security again. I've been I the Flagship lounge and the new QF F lounge and the QF lounge is much nicer. It wasn't very busy as the OW lounge is.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
No, from a domestic flight. The day's itin includes SCL-JFK-LAX-MEL-onwards...
Then you should be able to check bags at SCL.

You will see them at JFK and MEL as you will need to collect and re-check bags at both those places (assuming 'onwards' represents an Australian domestic location).

You would not see them at LAX.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 7, 2015 at 9:40 pm Reason: JFK transit
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by martin33

In my experinces, the bus has not been unreliable.

Also, my general walk time to walk from T4 (Flagship Lounge) to TBIT (Qantas First Lounge) in recent months is about 20 minutes - this includes security where there is a premium queue.

I do agree with the other points though and, in general, I do prefer to walk.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by serfty

Also, my general walk time to walk from T4 (Flagship Lounge) to TBIT (Qantas First Lounge) in recent months is about 20 minutes - this includes security where there is a premium queue.

I do agree with the other points though and, in general, I do prefer to walk.
Thanks, everyone. I think if only for getting out of the airport on this 51 hour journey, I'll take all of the advice and walk! Appreciate all of the input.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: QFF
Then you should be able to check bags at SCL.

You won't see them until MEL as you will need to collect and re-check bags there (assuming 'onwards' represents an Australian domestic location).
Nope. Traveling SCL-JFK-LAX-MEL requires bag collection and CBP at JFK.

Transfers at LAX will be much easier when the TBIT-T4 connector opens next year.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno

Transfers at LAX will be much easier when the TBIT-T4 connector opens next year.
Very true. And in my last three-leg trip originating with LAN, they told me they could only print a bag check ticket for the first two legs. If that's the case this time, I'll have them check my bag only to JFK, pick it up and check in regularly so that it's then checked all the way to PER (even though I'll still claim in MEL, I know) and avoid the hassle in LAX. Lounge time is the priority there!
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno

True that! ops:

Still, there should be no need to recheck at LAX (noting the short-check plans)

Last edited by serfty; Aug 7, 2015 at 9:49 pm
Old Aug 8, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: BA

Can OWS (travelling in Y) use the Premium queue, or is it restricted for F and J? I'll arrive into T4 from IAH with AA and have to transit to TBIT for QF16.

Is the walking route easily signposted?

Last edited by expatboy; Aug 8, 2015 at 4:40 am Reason: Q on walking added
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by expatboy
Can OWS (travelling in Y) use the Premium queue, or is it restricted for F and J? I'll arrive into T4 from IAH with AA and have to transit to TBIT for QF16.

Is the walking route easily signposted?
OWS provides access to priority Business Class check-in.

Depends what you mean by "easily". I've never had an issue.

If need be, you can just use the direction of the road traffic as a guide. The traffic runs T1-2-3-TIBT-4-5-6-7-8.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Lounge time is the priority there!
That caused a chuckle here...

Report back your experinces..transfers, lounge..you know the drill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.