Wiki Posts
Search

HSBC Qantas Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:24 am
VLJ
Original Poster

HSBC Qantas Visa

BIG changes to the awards given for spending on the HSBC Qantas Visa card.

Just completed our European trip and enjoyed the two points per dollar spent on each transaction made available by HSBC Visa, it has been a good points earner overall.

However now it will be one point per dollar overseas and capped at $2,500 and then drops to half a point.
Spending in Australia at one point per dollar but again capped at $2,500
Apparently no more complimentary Club invitations either.
Apparently taking effect from August 1 for customers like us who have had the cards a while.

Enjoyed it while it lasted ... hope we can find another generous option.

Report here:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/hsbc-cuts-qa...-lounge-access
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: AirNZ silver; Qantas Platinum; Emirates Silver.
Thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated!!!

Were you ever informed by HSBC? I don't think I did. Are they planning to just sneak in the changes without anyone noticing? I certainly don't pay much attention to how much points I earn each month, even though that's the primary reason why I have the card.

I guess another reason why I have a platinum card is the complimentary overseas travel insurance.

I'm interested to see if many will retain this card, and if not who are people going to switch to?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:30 am
VLJ
Original Poster

Haven't heard anything from the card provider - the first we heard was via Twitter and the link to the article.
One would assume it's accurate - but I would have thought seeing as it's only next month that these changes apply for longer term card holders, that we would have more notice.
My husband said time to find an alternative and I agree as the change in awards is significant.
I imagine many would feel the same, looking at Qantas site for options but Visa doesn't seem to have the same points awards as it used to have.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
It seems like the price QF charges for one point is so high that it doesn't allow Platinum card issuers to provide 1 point per dollar and make a profit on the cards.

I wonder if we'll see the remaining Visa Platinum card issuers providing one point per dollar to lower that, leaving only Visa Signature and Mastercard World cards with their higher interchange fees to be the only one to give a point per $.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
The Woolworths Qantas Visa card was devalued in the same way earlier this year - 1pt per $ up to $2,500 per statement cycle and 0.5pt per $ thereafter
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: QF Plat & Lifetime Gold, Velocity Gold, SQ PPS
I've had a letter from HSBC telling me about the changes so they don't seem to be trying to sneak it in.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by DI542
I've had a letter from HSBC telling me about the changes so they don't seem to be trying to sneak it in.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.