Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wasted Points/Money in J with kids?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Wasted Points/Money in J with kids?

I know this is a sensitive issue but I am noticing more and more FF paying for or using points to upgrade to J with 1-4 kids under 10. In each of the most recent episodes (1 international and 2 domestics) it has been a disaster.
Parents couldn't enjoy lay flat seat or a moments rest and selfishly perhaps nor could I. It totally destroys other pax experience in J and one wonders what real benefit J is to parents with zealous toddlers??! They don't seem to enjoy a moments rest. "mummy" or "daddy" reverberating, running around making noise.....I really wish some parents would stop and consider if J is really going to be worth it? Personally its destroyed my experience especially on the international run. I don't think children under 12 should be allowed in J/F class personally. Reminds me of my Gulf Air days when an entire family occupied almost the entire F cabin - infants and all!
Old May 28, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
I know this is a sensitive issue but I am noticing more and more FF paying for or using points to upgrade to J with 1-4 kids under 10. In each of the most recent episodes (1 international and 2 domestics) it has been a disaster.
Parents couldn't enjoy lay flat seat or a moments rest and selfishly perhaps nor could I. It totally destroys other pax experience in J and one wonders what real benefit J is to parents with zealous toddlers??! They don't seem to enjoy a moments rest. "mummy" or "daddy" reverberating, running around making noise.....I really wish some parents would stop and consider if J is really going to be worth it? Personally its destroyed my experience especially on the international run. I don't think children under 12 should be allowed in J/F class personally. Reminds me of my Gulf Air days when an entire family occupied almost the entire F cabin - infants and all!
Their money, their choice!

First and biz class still gets you all the benefits of check-in, lounge, space, no fighting for overhead lockers, food served when you want it.

Babies cry. But it's the attitude of the parents that matters. Are they sitting doing nothing? (very annoying)... or actively trying to resolve the problem? (the best we can expect)

Toddlers should not be allowed to run amok in a cabin. But supervised walks seem fair enough.

How did you deal with the situation on your flights? Did you approach the parents and ask them to resolve the problem?
Old May 28, 2015, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Other pax and crew clearly not impressed. I think crew were not able to say too much. Parents attitude was annoyingly carefree! I don't believe it should be their choice to ruin mine or other pax experience however. I know you may still disagree but thats my strong opinion.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Their money, their choice!

First and biz class still gets you all the benefits of check-in, lounge, space, no fighting for overhead lockers, food served when you want it.

Babies cry. But it's the attitude of the parents that matters. Are they sitting doing nothing? (very annoying)... or actively trying to resolve the problem? (the best we can expect)

Toddlers should not be allowed to run amok in a cabin. But supervised walks seem fair enough.

How did you deal with the situation on your flights? Did you approach the parents and ask them to resolve the problem?
Old May 28, 2015, 10:53 pm

I don't believe it should be their choice to ruin mine or other pax experience however. I know you may still disagree but thats my strong opinion.
Just had a similar experience two weeks ago on EVA. A later flight was going to be delayed so they filled J with a bunch of PAX from that flight. Among them, 6 (!) children in what I remember being a 24 seat class.

I pay full for J, not for food and the big IFE screen, but to be able to comfortably sleep and not lose a working day to recovery. So while this is indeed a very sensitive topic to people around here...I would have to agree with you.

On the instance above, it was nearly impossible for those parents to actively do anything. That particular J was designed to give anyone as much privacy (and hiding spots) as possible. So they couldn't even just reach over to them. One girl (~10 years old) actually had her company somewhere in the back of the plane. While this is just stupidity by ground staff, the result was not the calm flight I was paying for.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other pax and crew clearly not impressed. I think crew were not able to say too much. Parents attitude was annoyingly carefree! I don't believe it should be their choice to ruin mine or other pax experience however. I know you may still disagree but thats my strong opinion.
But what did you personally do about the situation? Did you speak to the parents? Were they uncooperative?

Children don't snore on the other hand Plenty of problem 'adult' passengers. Overall, are children any worse?
Old May 28, 2015, 11:42 pm

I think if I had the money I would totally book J with my kids, because the benefits of good space and legroom totally justify it in my mind as well as the airport lounge\checkin advantages. The food/booze/IFE probably come second but with a kid you can't beat space for them to play on the floor or sleep properly.

But, I would NEVER let me kids randomly run around, make noise or annoy the other passengers. My daughter is being raised to respect other people and on long distance flights she is good as gold and you wouldnt know she's there. She would read, watch TV, sleep and probably behave way better then some adults. I hate carefree parenting on planes and in airports, its not fair on the crew or the pax so its very disappointing to see and it smacks of downright laziness and disrespect for others.

I agree with guidospizza, when I fly J its to give me a chance to be able to get a full days work done on arrival, so if I was travelling with my family I would expect us all to be concious of business travelers and represent their need to relax.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Would anybody who could afford business or first seriously take themselves back to economy so as not to annoy other passengers? Is that what you expect them to do?
Old May 29, 2015, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Would anybody who could afford business or first seriously take themselves back to economy so as not to annoy other passengers? Is that what you expect them to do?
Good point. And why should economy passengers, simply because they fly economy, be subject to inconsiderate parents?

If I'm flying economy, last thing I want is someone from business class coming to walk their screaming baby near me! Stay where you are!
Old May 29, 2015, 1:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Whether the children are well behaved or not is not , I suggest, going to be any different depending on the cabin in which they are seated

If people are prepared to pay for business class or 1st class for children, then no reason for them not to be there
Old May 29, 2015, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If people are prepared to pay for business class or 1st class for children, then no reason for them not to be there
I would like to argue that the airlines should provide a "silent area" on planes, just as they exist on trains and even in some airport lounges. In my experience, that would mean no kids. I am not talking about commuter flights either, but the 14 hour long hauls I have to frequently endure.

Under current regulations, of course, everyone has the right to sit in any seat they book themselves into and I wouldn't expect anyone to downgrade themselves if they can pay for / get into a J class with their kids...
Old May 29, 2015, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guidospizza
I would like to argue that the airlines should provide a "silent area" on planes, just as they exist on trains and even in some airport lounges. In my experience, that would mean no kids. I am not talking about commuter flights either, but the 14 hour long hauls I have to frequently endure.
Perfect! How do we handle people who snore in these 'silent' zones? Can pax or crew wake them up and ask them to move?
Old May 29, 2015, 2:24 am

Perfect! How do we handle people who snore in these 'silent' zones? Can pax or crew wake them up and ask them to move?
The fact that I have only been disturbed by children so far comes from personal experience, thus is admittedly very subjective. Snoring is usually dubbed by my headphones and/or ear plugs, crying children is not. I love being around kids, but I want to be able to count on sleep when I travel J more than anything.

We can always find fault in any rule or regulation, but I think "no-kids-zones" are not entirely unreasonable in international, overnight air travel.
Old May 29, 2015, 2:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by guidospizza

Under current regulations, of course, everyone has the right to sit in any seat they book themselves into and I wouldn't expect anyone to downgrade themselves if they can pay for / get into a J class with their kids...
Silent areas on trains ime relate to no use of mobile phones - which on all but a few airlines is irrelevent

If having to risk sharing a cabin with a child is too high, sounds like a problem that needs a large credit card limit to perhaps book residence on Etihad or private aeroplane

Generally I have found that the passengers most likely to be annoying tend not to be children. As pointed out , would this include a no snoring rule and no talking to other passengers

Cabin A - only for passengers travelling alone who commit to not talking and not snoring in the flight
Old May 29, 2015, 8:50 am
Original Poster

I'd pay for "Cabin A!" That said both arguments are valid; however, it cannot be disputed that it's truly a teeth renching experience to have to tolerate a suite of brat kids with carefree parents and/or a professional decibel destroyer snorer on a long haul night flight(even day time for that matter).

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Silent areas on trains ime relate to no use of mobile phones - which on all but a few airlines is irrelevent

If having to risk sharing a cabin with a child is too high, sounds like a problem that needs a large credit card limit to perhaps book residence on Etihad or private aeroplane

Generally I have found that the passengers most likely to be annoying tend not to be children. As pointed out , would this include a no snoring rule and no talking to other passengers

Cabin A - only for passengers travelling alone who commit to not talking and not snoring in the flight
Old May 29, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I always used to put the kids in economy, seems a waste of money putting them in business with such small legs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.