2 x QF 744 "refresh"

Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
2 x QF 744 "refresh"

Nice news...I love the old F cabin on those birds.
Does anyone know the scheduling around the refresh, when complete?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:50 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wont be for a while I suspect, they usually do it as part of a heavy overhaul, OEB last had significant maintenance in oct 2015. I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off and look at a refresh for the fleet, rather than doing two in the same fashion as those first done in 2011.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Its a quick refresh - just seat coverings, cushions, a few tray tables and the like.
http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-to-re...wo-boeing-747s

Would expect it to happen sooner rather than later given these aircraft are still expected to leave the fleet in late 2017 when the 787-9s start arriving.
Only question is whether it means a pause/slowdown in the 330 refurb program to provide capacity while the refurb is done.

The only caveat is this blog which suggested that heavy maintenance also required on both aircraft:
http://australianaviation.com.au/201...calendar-2017/
Albeit a poster on the AusBT article above suggests the really expensive 'D' check is still two years away on both aircraft.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by moa999
Its a quick refresh - just seat coverings, cushions, a few tray tables and the like.
http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-to-re...wo-boeing-747s

Would expect it to happen sooner rather than later given these aircraft are still expected to leave the fleet in late 2017 when the 787-9s start arriving.
Only question is whether it means a pause/slowdown in the 330 refurb program to provide capacity while the refurb is done.

The only caveat is this blog which suggested that heavy maintenance also required on both aircraft:
http://australianaviation.com.au/201...calendar-2017/
Albeit a poster on the AusBT article above suggests the really expensive 'D' check is still two years away on both aircraft.
There is word they may still do the D check and so get a few more years out of them. The resale value would rise with a recent D check
Old Feb 27, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
Originally Posted by patrickk
There is word they may still do the D check and so get a few more years out of them. The resale value would rise with a recent D check
Makes sense since it seems like they're keen to open new routes but are currently hand strung by the lack of aircraft. It'll be interesting to see where the 787-9s first go as that might free up an A380 (and then, where would that go).
Old Feb 27, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by PaulST
...as that might free up an A380 (and then, where would that go).
To the hanger for a midlife refresh and new seats based on what goes on the 787s.
By keeping these 2 747s for longer, they can use the first few 787s for 747 flights to SFO, YVR, HKG and HND and move a pair of 747ERs into the 380 routes, allowing the 380s to go through a cabin refresh program in early-mid 2018.
Something along these likes would likely be announced when they announce the seats for the 787s. Presumably at the FY16/17 half year results next Feb.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:10 am

Still can't see these two aircraft hanging around for long.

I could imagine an extension on the other three refurb 747s (non-ER) that have SkyBed IIs to continue flying once the first 8 787s arrive, but the angled flat SkyBed I and the Rockwell Collins IFE needs to be put out to pasture.

While a full check might improve values, there are a heap of retired 747s around, and given QF no longer checks 747s in house (having closed Avalon) they will be paying market rates
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
While I love the 747, prefer to travel in them unless I can get an A380, if QF do the D check, which is far from certain, I think it would mean no more A380 for QF. Extending the 747 is a gamble for QF, that the dispatch reliability can hold (remember the final years of the 747-338), fuel price remains low and revenue demand is sufficient enough to offset the higher operating costs.
I do hope that QF can expand and sustain a larger fleet of A380 and they do not go down the route of 9 across in Economy for their 787. Of course the realist in me says fat chance of that happening.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:34 am

VH-OEB has flown to HKG for maintenance. Query whether this involves the 'refresh' as well

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.