Wasted Points/Money in J with kids?

Reply

Old Mar 10, 16, 2:17 am
  #76  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
Fully agree with every point.
Me too, I have been travelling in J for years with my three children. I have noticed other passengers looking nervous when we've taken our seats. However, I would never allow any of my children to misbehave or otherwise disrupt anyone else's experience. They have learnt how to behave in lounges, on the planes and in more formal restaurants from early on and know what is what is expected of them in these situations. We, as parents, would not tolerate their misbehaviour and, definitely, would not expect anyone else to either.They enjoy the experience of the flat beds and so forth and why shouldn't they on 12 hour plus journeys etc. We have been complemented many times, on disembarking, regarding the behaviour of the children in the flight so obviously there are no issues.
JasGIll is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 16, 2:51 am
  #77  
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STR/SYD/SMF
Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Posts: 13,903
Its public transport. Nothing more, nothing less. In every cabin. If you don't like public transport, don't use public transport and charter your own plane.

I have been on both ends of the crying babys issue. We had micro DUF cry non stop in J from NRT-SYD on an overnight flight at the age of 1. We tried every trick in the book, nothing worked. We were stressed out of our minds.

At the same time I just had a flight on NZ with a crying 3 year old who was very disruptive and the parents didn't do much to help. So I had to decide what was more annoying, the child or the "service dog" which was with them.
DownUnderFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 16, 3:50 am
  #78  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 20,861
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer View Post
I have been on both ends of the crying babys issue. We had micro DUF cry non stop in J from NRT-SYD on an overnight flight at the age of 1. We tried every trick in the book, nothing worked. We were stressed out of our minds.

At the same time I just had a flight on NZ with a crying 3 year old who was very disruptive and the parents didn't do much to help. So I had to decide what was more annoying, the child or the "service dog" which was with them.
I think it's all about the intent - if the parents are making an effort, people tend to be much more understanding and nicer (and some would even try to help) because they can see that they're trying, even if they aren't successful.

It's when the parents just don't care/ignore what their children are doing that it becomes incredibly irritating, as well as adults who don't care about others.

I sadly encounter the latter far more than the former in premium cabins (and interestingly more of the former in non-premium cabins!). It's when there are multiple disruptive people (children included) who don't care about others (or parents who don't care) and make no effort to control the situation that becomes really disruptive on the long flights, because you just don't get a break from it.

To be honest I don't find crying babies to be too bad although I feel very sorry for them - if they are not consolable something is really bothering them, most likely pain in their ear or tummy because of the pressure. Young babies can't make themselves comfortable.

It's the screaming, tantrum-throwing toddlers running around the cabin screaming, and some even bashing passengers as they tear around the cabin, and parents not doing anything to stop them, that bothers me.
LTN Phobia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 16, 3:41 pm
  #79  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Posts: 5,358
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer View Post
Its public transport. Nothing more, nothing less. In every cabin. If you don't like public transport, don't use public transport and charter your own plane.
Huh? Person A won't bother to control his/her sex trophies, therefore Person B has to spend a fortune to "fly private"? That makes no sense at all.
BadgerBoi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 16, 1:34 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London
Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Posts: 624
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi View Post
sex trophies... That makes no sense at all.
jlsw7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 16, 3:56 am
  #81  
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Posts: 12,616
A quote with no comment makes no sense at all (above).

This thread is going nowhere. Some are delighted to have screaming babies in any cabin, and some are not delighted at all.
og is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 16, 4:00 am
  #82  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Posts: 5,358
Jlsw7 your point in reposting separate segments of my post means what? I have no idea what point you are trying to make here.

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Mar 11, 16 at 4:07 am
BadgerBoi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 16, 4:01 am
  #83  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Posts: 5,358
delete

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Mar 11, 16 at 4:03 am Reason: Duplicate
BadgerBoi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 16, 4:16 am
  #84  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 39,014
Originally Posted by og View Post
A quote with no comment makes no sense at all (above).

This thread is going nowhere. Some are delighted to have screaming babies in any cabin, and some are not delighted at all.
Not even that - in post 56 it was put forward that no children under 10 should be allowed in 1st class - quite different to suggesting that some are delighted to have screaming babies
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 16, 4:37 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LHR/LGW
Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Posts: 1,025
Don't know if it's still the case but years ago remember a friend telling me that as BA staff traveling as a family they had to fly in economy because BA wouldn't allow children on staff tickets in J or F.

I've seen some horrible parenting on flights- the worst was a transatlantic flight with parents and the nanny unable to control the kids but I've also seen parents who keep their kids quietly occupied . I flew recently and the woman behind me had a baby and a toddler- I feared the worst and got the best . I even ended up holding the baby to save her needing to take them both with her to the rest room . She worked so hard to keep the kids occupied and quiet it seemed the least I could do after seven hours.

Personally I decided that I wouldn't take my son long haul til he was "old enough". That for him was 5. I flew armed with books, audio boos and headphones and he was as good as gold the whole ten hours-which was more than could be said for the two drunk golfing buddies seated behind us.

Kids like drunks do usually eventually fall asleep though- although there's always an exception - like the new born who managed to scream through both legs of my flight from Heathrow to Perth. With lungs like that I'm sure they grew up to be an opera singer !!
duchy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 16, 6:59 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7
Only read the start and end of the thread. I can only wonder how the OP knew they were on upgrade tickets.

Other than that, I just put on the NC headphones and mind my own business. If other pax were annoying me in business there would be something seriously wrong. (not just children)
SandA4Eva is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread