Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which OW Lounge in Perth

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Which OW Lounge in Perth

I'm AB Gold (OWE) and flying QATAR J from Perth in July and again in September.

So I presume I have a choice of OW lounges. Which should I choose to whittle away a few hours? (Timings are 16:00 - 22:35)

Many thanks.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your only choice is the Qantas lounge prior to flight departure

Given that the departure is about 22:35 , I wouldnt plan to get there before 20:30 given the opening times of the lounge

From http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access :

Opening hours:
Daily: 0430 - 0930 and 1100 - 1800
Wed/Fri/Sun 1200 - 1800
Mon/Tue/Thur/Sat 2030 - 0030
Old May 27, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by sydunipete
I'm AB Gold (OWE) and flying QATAR J from Perth in July and again in September.

So I presume I have a choice of OW lounges. Which should I choose to whittle away a few hours? (Timings are 16:00 - 22:35)

Many thanks.
You're departing from the international terminal and there's only 1 lounge you can access, that is the Qantas Club. AFAIK its not a pretty extravagant lounge and i would spend at most 15 mins in there before i get bored.

Oh by the way, AB Gold is OW Sapphire not OW Emerald as you noted.

If you are looking for a lounge worth spending at least an hour or 2, try the SYD/MEL QF FCL, but that requires you to get a OWE status first before anything else.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:27 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by lowjhg
AFAIK its not a pretty extravagant lounge and i would spend at most 15 mins in there before i get bored.
The lounge is exactly that. but the rest of the terminal is worse. I would spend every second in there because it is better than not being in there.

Food is meh, barrista coffee is good, good beer and wine selection, chairs are comfortable, couple of TV's.

While it is not the MEL or SYD F lounges it isn't that far worse than MEL J for example, just smaller.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:38 am

What about the MH lounge, is that still open?
Old May 28, 2015, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Thanks for the info and correction about OWS.

I'm transiting off a domestic QF flight SYD-PER that arrives at 16:00.

Am I better off gaining access to the domestic QF lounge before completing immigration formalities etc? Is this even possible?

Thanks again.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sydunipete
Thanks for the info and correction about OWS.

I'm transiting off a domestic QF flight SYD-PER that arrives at 16:00.

Am I better off gaining access to the domestic QF lounge before completing immigration formalities etc? Is this even possible?

Thanks again.
If you have a valid boarding pass for onward travel, I would try and spend more time in the Dom QP - it shouldn't be busy at that time of day. The lounge is much bigger, there are windows (unlike the Intl J lounge) and food is marginally better. I'd aim to get to the Intl terminal at around 8.45pm++ like Dave Noble said.

MH Lounge wouldn't be open at that time (that lounge is even worse!). There's a MH flight departing at 420 ish, and maybe one leaving at 0100ish to KUL/BKI?
Old May 28, 2015, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by im.daniel
If you have a valid boarding pass for onward travel, I would try and spend more time in the Dom QP - it shouldn't be busy at that time of day. The lounge is much bigger, there are windows (unlike the Intl J lounge) and food is marginally better. I'd aim to get to the Intl terminal at around 8.45pm++ like Dave Noble said.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by DH188
What about the MH lounge, is that still open?
It is, but it is not of any standard that would make me turn right after duty free instead of left.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:16 am

If you have a valid boarding pass for onward travel, I would try and spend more time in the Dom QP - it shouldn't be busy at that time of day. The lounge is much bigger, there are windows (unlike the Intl J lounge) and food is marginally better.
I would also try and stay as long as possible in the DOM lounge, but that is more because the terminal itself is larger and if you are bored you can take a stroll through to T3 and back ala BNE and kill an extra 5 or 6 minutes!

The J lounge has windows, they just have no view so the windows are covered by curtains! The DOM lounge is certainly larger, the downstairs extension lounge would rival the Intl lounge.

The food is marginally better, that just means it is marginally more edible! Been a while since I have left either at that time, but lounge catering is more miss than hit (hence my love of the sandwich press in all ports).

In all honesty if I was landing at 1600 and didn't need to be back at the airport until 20:35 I would be in a cab and heading west. Go to Crown and grab a burger and pint at the Merrywell, head into town and visit Print Hall, Trustee, Stables or similar, go to the Lucky Shag or Raffles. There is no good reason to spend 4 and a half hours at either airport in this city!
Old May 28, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Your only choice is the Qantas lounge prior to flight departure

Given that the departure is about 22:35 , I wouldnt plan to get there before 20:30 given the opening times of the lounge

From http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access :

Opening hours:
Daily: 0430 - 0930 and 1100 - 1800
Wed/Fri/Sun 1200 - 1800
Mon/Tue/Thur/Sat 2030 - 0030
I also have a QF>QR connection coming up in PER and had been looking at the lounges. There seems to be a discrepancy on opening hours on the OW site and the QF site, which says the PER QF Intl lounge is open:

Hours
04:30 to 09:30 *
11:15 to 00:00 Sun and Wed*
13:00 to 00:00 Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri and Sat*

* If flight changes occur, the lounge opens 90 mins prior to the rescheduled Qantas departure.
Wonder which is correct? It doesn't impact me so much as my arrival into PER is later, but might impact the OP.

Though I have a shorter connection, I hadn't thought of this idea. Assume the Dom QP is in T4 where the SYD-PER flight arrives? How long does it take to get across to T1 for the international flight? My connection is only 2 hours, so may not do it this time, but useful to know and if there were any delays to the QR flight, might be worth staying in the domestic lounge for a while..
Old May 29, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Though I have a shorter connection, I hadn't thought of this idea. Assume the Dom QP is in T4 where the SYD-PER flight arrives? How long does it take to get across to T1 for the international flight? My connection is only 2 hours, so may not do it this time, but useful to know and if there were any delays to the QR flight, might be worth staying in the domestic lounge for a while..
I suggest you make your way to the international terminal once you land from your domestic flight. 2 hours might cut it a bit short for the intra terminal transfer. There are no direct roads linking the international terminal to the domestic terminal, so one must exit the airport precinct into the freeway before turning into the international precinct. Transport duration may take anywhere from 30 mins to 45 mins depending on traffic conditions.

This approximation doesn't include the time needed to get through border security and immigration, which might take another 15 to 30 mins, leaving 15 mins to enjoy the international lounge prior to commencement of boarding.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lowjhg
I suggest you make your way to the international terminal once you land from your domestic flight. 2 hours might cut it a bit short for the intra terminal transfer. There are no direct roads linking the international terminal to the domestic terminal, so one must exit the airport precinct into the freeway before turning into the international precinct. Transport duration may take anywhere from 30 mins to 45 mins depending on traffic conditions.
HUH? Its been a while since I lived in Perth But my brother has dropped me off and picked me up a couple of times going along a road on the airport boundary. No need to take the Highway.
Old May 30, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by geminidreams
HUH? Its been a while since I lived in Perth But my brother has dropped me off and picked me up a couple of times going along a road on the airport boundary. No need to take the Highway.
Correct. There's a road that travels along the boundary of the airport, cutting travel time - which is now an 8-10 minute drive. The rate limiting step is how long you have to wait for a transfer bus.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Your collective advice was correct. The domestic lounge is much better - open and airy with good views of the tarmac. The international lounge is one of those dark internal dungeons. There is a free bus connecting the terminals - Sydney can certainly lift its game in this respect.

The highlight in the international lounge is a good selection of beers (this is a mining town after all) and rugby on TV - but Australia isn't doing so well.

The opening hours are more than indicated as they seem to cater for almost all airlines including *A.

WiFi is ok in both. I haven't tried Skype here, but it worked well in the domestic lounge.

Next stop Doha. Thanks again for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.