FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   QF Gold Lounge access flying FJ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1681845-qf-gold-lounge-access-flying-fj.html)

Blackcloud May 21, 2015 7:47 pm

QF Gold Lounge access flying FJ

I tried looking on the Qantas website with the absence of information probably indicating the answer is "No".
However I thought with the special relationship with FJ that QF members had lounge access to the QF/FJ lounges before the FJ flights.
My flight was a points redemption which only allowed booking on the FJ code.
So am I SOL or is there something to say that I have Qantas Business Lounge/Club access?

rugbyskier May 21, 2015 9:09 pm

Unless something has changed in the past two years you can access the lounge as a QF Gold flying on the FJ code. Can also access the Tabua Lounge at Nadi Airport for the return trip.

og May 22, 2015 12:20 am

Earlier this year I was granted access to the SYD T1 Flounge with a FJ BP travelling in J on a paid ticket. The BP showed my QF WP FF number. And, consistent with an earlier posting, I was granted access to the FJ J lounge in NAN with a FJ BP travelling in J on a paid ticket with my QF WP FF number showing (but this would have been access due to class of travel - so nothing extraordinary). In each case I also presented my QF WP card.

The reception staff at the SYD Flounge did some checking before granting access - so it appeared this was one " out of left field " for them. I was not sure if access was clearly granted or simply I was allowed in "as a favour". But, I was not about to ask :)

Blackcloud May 22, 2015 5:15 am

Originally Posted by og (Post 24853056)
Earlier this year I was granted access to the SYD T1 Flounge with a FJ BP travelling in J on a paid ticket. The BP showed my QF WP FF number. And, consistent with an earlier posting, I was granted access to the FJ J lounge in NAN with a FJ BP travelling in J on a paid ticket with my QF WP FF number showing (but this would have been access due to class of travel - so nothing extraordinary). In each case I also presented my QF WP card.

The reception staff at the SYD Flounge did some checking before granting access - so it appeared this was one " out of left field " for them. I was not sure if access was clearly granted or simply I was allowed in "as a favour". But, I was not about to ask :)

I have been at the FLounge when a P1 was denied access on a FJ flight. They told him he could use the Business Lounge, but I do not know if that was COS or status related.
The website is not clear, closest was the Nadi wording but I do not know if it matters too much, WLG may not be open and we have an 8:30 am flight at NAN so do not know if the lounge would be too much use then either.

Interlude May 22, 2015 5:34 am

I believe things have changed, quite significantly. For a year or more? QF is no longer the handling agent for FJ in Australia, and I have spoken to QF staff in both Flounge and J lounge who are finding that the working relationship with FJ is not very collegial, to do with all kinds of things like baggage interlining, issuing of boarding passes for connecting flights etc. The change resulted in some long-standing FJ staff at Australian airports who were very popular as good people to work with, and who got on well with QF staff, losing their jobs.

Now, if you are ticketed FJ, then you are pretty much on your own as far as QF is concerned, including NO lounge access based on QF or OW status. The only way to get lounge access if you are ticketed FJ is to be a member of Tabua Club, or to be travelling in J, and in each case you will only get into the J lounge, not Flounge.

og May 22, 2015 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Interlude (Post 24853759)
Now, if you are ticketed FJ, then you are pretty much on your own as far as QF is concerned, including NO lounge access based on QF or OW status. The only way to get lounge access if you are ticketed FJ is to be a member of Tabua Club, or to be travelling in J, and in each case you will only get into the J lounge, not Flounge.

Then perhaps I (and Mrs og) were lucky in being granted access to the SYD Flounge in February this year - could only have been through status. As said above, the lounge staff were quite confused and let us in anyway. Smiling and being nice to the staff paid dividends .....

eminere May 23, 2015 1:01 pm

It's worth noting that, even if you do book your flights under a QF code, at checkin your boarding pass will be printed with an FJ code. Your QFF number is also printed but not your status. Presenting my boarding pass and Gold card got me into the lounge at both SYD and NAN.

Austman May 23, 2015 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 24852341)
flight was a points redemption which only allowed booking on the FJ code.

That's always been enough all allow it at QFi lounges in Australia in my experience. There simply is NO QF flight# booking possibility on award tickets.

The "un-clearness" about lounge access between FJ/QF has been around for years and years. As has the stories about the disunity between the two.

Blackcloud May 24, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks to all.
It all reflects my memories of the resounding lack of clarity regarding access.
For WLG it may be immaterial as the QP may not even be open due to the fact that the FJ flights, 2 days a week, is a bit of an oddball in that it is the only international flight around that time of day so I wonder if arrangements have even been made for the 8 J seats plus potential status members.
NAN is of more interest as it is a morning flight 8:30 and I do not know what we should do regarding breakfast for the family. If we have lounge access I at least hope for cereal to have there.

RadioGirl May 24, 2015 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 24863629)
NAN is of more interest as it is a morning flight 8:30 and I do not know what we should do regarding breakfast for the family. If we have lounge access I at least hope for cereal to have there.

My information may also be out of date, but in 2011 my colleague (QF Gold) and I (paid QC member) were welcomed into the NAN lounge but neither of us was allowed a guest.

eminere May 25, 2015 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 24863629)

FJ's Tabua Lounge at NAN is abysmal. For breakfast yes they do have four types of cereal. Also cold mini muffins and danish pastry, and a platter of sliced fruit that is simply left uncovered in the drinks fridge. No hot breakfast. :td:

eminere May 25, 2015 1:44 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl (Post 24864725)
My information may also be out of date, but in 2011 my colleague (QF Gold) and I (paid QC member) were welcomed into the NAN lounge but neither of us was allowed a guest.

The current entry rules are:

Gold members and above - admitted with one guest only
Silver and Bronze members - no admittance
Qantas Club members - no admittance
Single-use lounge pass holders - no admittance

Blackcloud May 25, 2015 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by eminere (Post 24864954)
The current entry rules are:

Gold members and above - admitted with one guest only
Silver and Bronze members - no admittance
Qantas Club members - no admittance
Single-use lounge pass holders - no admittance

Thanks for this.
Was this from the Qantas.com page for the Nandi Lounge as it mentions Qantas codes/Fiji flights?

eminere May 25, 2015 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 24867815)
Thanks for this.
Was this from the Qantas.com page for the Nandi Lounge as it mentions Qantas codes/Fiji flights?

There was a sign with these rules posted at the welcome desk of the lounge in NAN. No mention of QF or FJ flight code requirements on the sign.