Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Question re Qantas / Emirates code share

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat

Hi folks,

I've just booked a trip using opodo.co.uk for the direct Perth - Singapore flight operated by Qantas in June. The ticket itself has been issued by Emirates (because it was considerably cheaper than the Qantas sold tickets on opodo)

Does going through Emirates to save a few quid mean I won't be able to credit this flight to BA and use the Qantas lounge in Perth etc (I'm OWE)? Seems like that might be the case (not unreasonable) but I'd like to know either way. Cheers!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by peck
Hi folks,

I've just booked a trip using opodo.co.uk for the direct Perth - Singapore flight operated by Qantas in June. The ticket itself has been issued by Emirates (because it was considerably cheaper than the Qantas sold tickets on opodo)

Does going through Emirates to save a few quid mean I won't be able to credit this flight to BA and use the Qantas lounge in Perth etc (I'm OWE)? Seems like that might be the case (not unreasonable) but I'd like to know either way. Cheers!
Unfortunately yes. No crediting and no lounge access.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you bought a flight with a EK or QF flight number?
Issued by / purchased from means nothing. The flight number is what is important
Old May 1, 2015, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys. It's an Emirates flight number. I saved a couple of hundred pounds in total so it seems fair not to have lounge access etc
Old May 1, 2015, 12:46 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Thanks guys. It's an Emirates flight number. I saved a couple of hundred pounds in total so it seems fair not to have lounge access etc
Your attitude is quite the opposite of what you'd normally expect on FT!
Old May 1, 2015, 8:35 pm

Does this mean that if I have a EK flight ticketed with a QF flight number, i'll be able to enjoy OW privileges as well as credit the FF miles to Asiamiles?
Old May 1, 2015, 9:22 pm

OW rules state OW privileges only apply when your flight is marketed and operated by a OW airline.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by itihm
Does this mean that if I have a EK flight ticketed with a QF flight number, i'll be able to enjoy OW privileges as well as credit the FF miles to Asiamiles?
Two scenarios possible from what you've said above:

EK ticket stock on a EK published fare for QF flight number, on QF metal - yes you can credit this to CX AM (yes this is possible - you need to use a travel agent)

EK ticket stock on a EK published fare for QF flight number, on EK metal - no you can't credit this to CX AM
Old May 3, 2015, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
Your attitude is quite the opposite of what you'd normally expect on FT!
Haha. Ill make sure to return to this thread next month and complain about something ridiculous to restore my FT status
Old May 3, 2015, 1:21 am

Not sure about the overall itinerary but if it was a simple one way you should have booked it on an Australian website or on QF itself and would have worked cheaper than EK's.
Old May 3, 2015, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Edy, the Opodo.co.uk price was consideraby cheaper than anything else I could find including checking QF and a couple of Aussie sites
Old May 3, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eminere
OW rules state OW privileges only apply when your flight is marketed and operated by a OW airline.
QF is a special case with BA.

In effect, anything with a QF flight number will credit both tier points and Avios to BAEC. For example a EK metal but QF coded flight will credit to BA. The OP has probably read about this. Unfortunately without the QF code it won't credit.

It's also worth pointing out that in my example, the carrier who issues the ticket is meaningless. It all down to the QF code on the flight number.
Old May 3, 2015, 3:17 am

Edy, the Opodo.co.uk price was consideraby cheaper than anything else I could find including checking QF and a couple of Aussie sites
Was that a one way to somewhere else or just PER-SIN?

It's because if booked direct with EK on the cheapest fare it's only 357AUD (185GBP) compared with Opodo's price of 200GBP (plus booking charges).

Last edited by edy4eva; May 3, 2015 at 3:24 am
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Just to update this thread (and probably cause more confusion) I flew this yesterday and was granted lounge access (I specifically asked if I was permitted access and the lounge angel scanned my BP and said 'yes, definitely'). The BP displayed the QF number with a note in brackets stating 'originally booked as EK***'.

I was very impressed by the flight itself and the help I received in Perth to get my luggage all the way through to London directly. Thumbs up to QF from me
Old May 11, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
sorry to dig up an old thread but this seemed like the best place to put my question/post.

my dad accidentally booked a QF operated flight under the EK code (AKL-MEL). other than Qantas' program, do you guys know where else i can credit this to? or rather, what the best place to credit this to? doesn't look like there's too many options...

thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.