Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Quantas- advice on making a complaint / compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:50 am
iwg
Original Poster

Hello - I've just had a horrible and increasingly ridiculous flight from London to Wellington (NZ) with Quantas, and wanted to ask what the best way of making a complaint is, what I should ask for and expect from them. Any experience in this would be helpful!! Ok, here goes.

I was due to fly QF02 London to Sydney on Saturday evening, arriving Monday morning, and then connect on a direct flight to Wellington arriving Monday afternoon. I'm travelling economy for business with two colleagues (all on separate bookings). Were due to start work on Tuesday in Wellington - the fit-up of a touring theatre show.

QF02 was delayed twelve hours due to a defective engine. We were informed at checkin in Heathrow. We were offered a hotel, but I took the option of having my transport paid and went back home, returning in the morning. I need to sort out reimbursement with their customer service dept, which I haven't yet done.

The delayed flight was then fine, we had an hour in Dubai, and left the plane in Sydney at 7pm Monday. We were informed that we'd have to overnight in Sydney and then fly to Wellington Tuesday morning as we were too late to get a connection. All fine so far. These things happen. Then....

At the gate in Sydney, everything is chaos. Despite having the entire of Monday to sort this out, there are no handy little packages waiting at the gate (like I've had from Virgin before). Instead, a couple of hundred people have to try and queue to speak to three Quantas reps, with no direction, signage etc.

After half an hour of queueing, we finally reach the front my two colleagues are handed their hotel reservations and told that they'll be on the QF161 to Wellington the next morning. There no records for me, and no booking. I'm not on the rep's list - speak to someone else. After disembarking the plane at 7pm, I finally leave the airport at 8.45, being told that I'll be staying at the Novotel and flying via Auckland the next day, thus spending the whole day travelling and missing my first day of work entirely! I arrive at the hotel to find everyone who left the gate before me, since Quantas haven't actually rung Novotel to tell them who is coming. More waiting while the hotel rep tries to get in touch with the gate staff. I eventually get to bed.

Tuesday morning, back at the airport, the staff direct me around the kiosk system, which obviously doesn't work as I no longer have a booking ref for my new tickets. Finally speak to someone at check in, who says that nobody has associated my new ticket with my passport, so off to customer service for some more queueing. They check me in at the business desks next to customer service, tagging my bags to Wellington, and I go on and fly to Auckland.

Auckland requires a terminal change to the domestic Jetstar terminal, who ask where my bag is. Apparently, it's impossible to have a bag tagged through to Wellington as its switching from international to domestic, and that I won't get it when I arrive in Wellington. Its too late for me to go collect it from the international terminal, so I have to board. In Wellington, Jetstar repeat the same sentiments - that Quantas Sydney shouldn't have checked my bag through, and that they'll try and sort it out.

So, it's wednesday, I'm in Wellington with no suitcase, and I'm waiting on Jetstar calling me when it arrives (some point today, apparently). I'll have to go back to the airport and collect it when it does (the company I'm working for here will actually sort this out).

What should I expect Quantas to do about all this? Obviously, the initial delay isn't really the issue - they've offered accommodation and got me here as soon as they could. The issues are the terrible waits at the gate, the incompetence at sorting out the hotel, the additional waiting in the morning because nobody bothered to associate the ticket, and the loss of my bag due to stupidity by the Syndey Quantas check-in crew. I've lost a day at work, and spent hours queuing, and now I'm going to spend my morning attempting to buy toiletries and underwear! What do you think I should do?

Thanks!!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
First of all you should be aware that there is no 'u' in Qantas. Getting the name of the airline will helpful in the first instance.

In respect to your complaint, you should keep in mind that you will possibly be entitled to EU compensation as your QF flight was ex-EU and delayed over the threshold for the distance travelled. I recommend you search for the thread on the BA forum for the thread on EU 261/2004 compensation and claim accordingly. QF will probably try to weasel out of compensation initially, but a well drafted and factual letter with no emotion should yield an appropriate response.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by iwg
What should I expect Quantas to do about all this? Obviously, the initial delay isn't really the issue - they've offered accommodation and got me here as soon as they could. The issues are the terrible waits at the gate, the incompetence at sorting out the hotel, the additional waiting in the morning because nobody bothered to associate the ticket, and the loss of my bag due to stupidity by the Syndey Quantas check-in crew. I've lost a day at work, and spent hours queuing, and now I'm going to spend my morning attempting to buy toiletries and underwear! What do you think I should do?

Thanks!!
I think in this case, the initial delay/delay in arrival is really the only issue that you'll be able to get them to address. The other things are annoying and unpleasant, but par for the course when there are significant mechanical issues with a flight.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The main issue , which is also the one for which compensation is due, is the delay out of London

For the delay, you are entitled to 600 Euros. Make sure to write in and state that it is compensation under EC261 that you are claiming

Although too lat now, rather than queue for vouchers, booking a hotel anf requesting reimbursement afterwards would work, but not going to likely get anything for waiting 30 minutes

The issue with luggage at Auckland is nothing to do with Qantas ; when arriving internationally into NZ and connecting to a domestic flight, all bags must be collected after the international flight for customs, then after customs can then be checked back in. Whether or not the tag to final destination has been created has no bearing on this

The same applies in Australia too. I believe that this is mentioned on the flight that all bags must be collected

Hopefully Qantas will pay up the 600 Euros with no issue - You might like to use the claim form http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes...nt_form_en.pdf ; just fill in the appropriate boxes

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 31, 2015 at 1:01 pm
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:58 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I was told by a fellow passenger who flew SYD-MEL on Monday morning that there was "chaos at Sydney airport because of storms - and everything was delayed or cancelled". Now how true this was is up to others, but it may have affected the ability of QF to get you moving or handle your connection.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
QF163 on Monday was completely full, I was on it, something about NZers flying back from watching a team get whalloped in a game of cricket in MEL. The flight was delayed by about 30 minutes, along with many Trans-Tasmans NZ, QF, JQ and VA I noticed that night from announcements in the terminal due to earlier storm delays.
In Australia and New Zealand they always announce that you must pick your bags up and go through Customs and biosecurity before rechecking them in for your respective domestic flight, even if they are through checked. That is something different to what I have experienced in some countries but it is your responsiblity to pick up the baggage.
Regarding hotels, I have never experienced an airline making the hotel bookings under the pasengers name, they tend to book the required number of rooms and you get checked in at the hotel under your own name. This can cause some problems if you are travelling with someone eg. work colleague travelling under same booking, and they try to put you in the same room as them.
Others have stated what compensation you can expect to receive but regarding how QF routed you to get to WLG, that could have been the only option open to them due to the returning NZers.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:26 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
... something about NZers flying back from watching a team get whalloped in a game of cricket in MEL. ...
To borrow a Kiwi term -- "sweet"
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by og
To borrow a Kiwi term -- "sweet"
Yep and all I now need is for the Wallabies to actaully know how to play a good game of rugby and win "Bill" at the next RWC then I will be a happy Aussie over here
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
First of all you should be aware that there is no 'u' in Qantas. Getting the name of the airline will helpful in the first instance.
Maybe a little harsh given it has been reported that the airline itself added the "u" on April first...
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by Platy
Maybe a little harsh given it has been reported that the airline itself added the "u" on April first...
Yes, and only fools fly with them?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:04 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zebranz
Yes, and only fools fly with them?
This from a UA flyer ?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:13 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by og
This from a UA flyer ?
Oh, snap!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:03 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Oh, snap!
Indeed!

UA has been enhanced so much ( ) that any future enhancements can only be positive
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by og
I was told by a fellow passenger who flew SYD-MEL on Monday morning that there was "chaos at Sydney airport because of storms - and everything was delayed or cancelled". Now how true this was is up to others, but it may have affected the ability of QF to get you moving or handle your connection.
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/we...30-1mas7b.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.