Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Turbulence tracker - MultiScan Threat Track

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

HI Everyone - 1st post!

Last year Qantas brought products from Rockwellcollins, one of these products is the new Multiscan Threat Track which is the newest device in turbulence detection to date. The purchase was done in 2014 for the new 737 fleet.

I’m curious if anyone knows if this technology has been installed yet? I’ve sent emails to various Qantas departments but have not received a reply. I'm aware of the current "turbulence technology" used in the Jetstar Dreamliner (which is fantastic btw) but looking forward to go on board a 737 when MultiScan Threat Track is installed.

Hoping someone can reply!

- InspectorGadget
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:44 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
You might get more joy from comments in pprune.org - more likely to get those who really know. Oh, and welcome to FT InspectorGadget. That name takes me back
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:42 pm

Whilst I can't comment for Qantas, as a passenger I think in reality you'll notice virtually no difference in an aircraft that has multiscan threat track versus one that doesn't.

Most of the turbulence I see is clear air and doesn't show on radar. Weaving around cells in the tropics, I am yet to see any of the multiscan threat predictive functions appear besides speckled magenta with the two-level enhanced turbulence feature.

Without a doubt it's good technology and an improvement but ignore the marketing spin, in the vast majority of cases you won't see smoother rides out of it.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
You may care to ask the question at Australian Frequent Flyer's 'Ask the Pilot' thread. Several pilots (QF and otherwise) answering questions there. Its a great read, in any case!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.