Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:34 pm
pH

Programs: AA EXP
I have a long transit at LAX on my way HKG-LAX-DFW. The first leg is CX F, the second is -eight hours later- in AA domestic F.

If not mistaken, I believe I have access to the F lounge thanks to the incoming CX F leg, but my question is... will they allow me in the lounge for such a long transit?

FWIW, I am a lowly BA Silver (OW Sapphire).

Thanks a million for your sage advice!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
As long as meets the same day connection criteri then you should be fine - you can also access the Flagship Lounge in T4 for a bit of variety.
pH likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pH
I have a long transit at LAX on my way HKG-LAX-DFW. The first leg is CX F, the second is -eight hours later- in AA domestic F.

If not mistaken, I believe I have access to the F lounge thanks to the incoming CX F leg, but my question is... will they allow me in the lounge for such a long transit?

FWIW, I am a lowly BA Silver (OW Sapphire).

Thanks a million for your sage advice!
Originally Posted by serfty
As long as meets the same day connection criteri then you should be fine - you can also access the Flagship Lounge in T4 for a bit of variety.
As serfty posted, as long as you meet the same day requirements (or before 6:00 am next), no worries. I've done it myself. Had a couple of light meals, napping, having few glasses of champagne and going on walks, including checking out the other lounges. Good time for reading your favorite book
pH likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:13 pm
pH

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
As serfty posted, as long as you meet the same day requirements (or before 6:00 am next), no worries. I've done it myself. Had a couple of light meals, napping, having few glasses of champagne and going on walks, including checking out the other lounges. Good time for reading your favorite book
Thank you both so much for your reply. Might I also ask about tipping customs for these lounges? As they are a seated meal/staffed bar service...what is customary in term of gratuity? (if any)

Much appreciated!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by pH
Thank you both so much for your reply. Might I also ask about tipping customs for these lounges? As they are a seated meal/staffed bar service...what is customary in term of gratuity? (if any)

Much appreciated!
No tipping required or expected in the premium lounges. However, different story in an Admirals Club. Usually tip $1.00 per beverage.

Last edited by teemuflyer; Jan 24, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:16 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by pH

Much appreciated!
It’s a QF lounge. It’s Australian culture NOT to tip. Oz wages are sufficient so staff make a living wage without the need for tips to supplement. Of course staff like tips but its not a critical part of the wage structure.
pH likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by og

It’s a QF lounge. It’s Australian culture NOT to tip. Oz wages are sufficient so staff make a living wage without the need for tips to supplement. Of course staff like tips but its not a critical part of the wage structure.
Well, not to quibble too much, but it is lounge in the USA, where Oz culture to the staff is foreign to most of them. But as a general rule the USA Premium airport lounges do not expect staff to be tipped.
pH likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Well, not to quibble too much, but it is lounge in the USA, where Oz culture to the staff is foreign to most of them. But as a general rule the USA Premium airport lounges do not expect staff to be tipped.
The only exception would be the bar staff, many of whom seem to openly encourage. No at the QF Lounge, but I see lots of tip jars/glasses around the bar areas at the US3 clubs.
pH likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by SFO777
The only exception would be the bar staff, many of whom seem to openly encourage. No at the QF Lounge, but I see lots of tip jars/glasses around the bar areas at the US3 clubs.
Never once been asked for a tip at QF F, and am glad to see it not encouraged. Ironically, it's where I typically enjoy the best service and best beverages of any bar at LAX. I've tipped a few times, but only because I felt compelled.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Can anyone point me to a current breakfast menu? I know it's pretty standard fare, but I'd like to see it.

TIA!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: Qantas

From a month ago.
serfty and zpaul like this.

Last edited by Volvo Mike; Feb 1, 2019 at 6:54 pm
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Volvo Mike
From a month ago.
Thank you!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:36 pm

Sitting in the First Class lounge at LAX waiting for my Nadi flight on the following itinerary as an AA Executive Platinum:

LAS-AA-LAX-FJ-NAD-FJ-BNE-QF-SYD on Business class award ticket

The Junior lounge dragon passed my boarding passes on to the Senior lounge dragon who did not bat an eyelid

The Oneworld Connect status of FJ would seem to indicate that if I was a QF Emerald status passenger then entry would be allowed (from Dec 8 2018) but the FJ website seems to indicate that AA doesn't become an FJ sponsor until the nebulous date of later in Q1 2019 when AA Emerald status from my reading of the vague literature would allow 1st class lounge access

No complaints here though
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Really enjoyed our visit in early Feb ..especially liked arriving on AA from ORD enroute to HKG on AA and no need to go through security. And dinner was nice as well
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:42 pm

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I didn't see it upthread or in the wiki...

Are any guests permitted in the lounge? My family of 4 is flying LAX-MEL, with 2 of us in F and the other 2 in J (bc we couldn't find availability for 4 tix in F, were lucky to find 2 and 2!). Will the two of us in F be able to bring the two in J into the lounge with us? Would be nice to get the kids showered and fed in LA before the overnight flight (and we will have been coming from the East Coast, so a break in the lounge will be nice).

Thanks in advance for any insight as to what to expect!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.