Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:35 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Beetroot is a classic ingredient in Australian burgers, hence why it’s on the menu.

I’ve never noticed the lack of view or poor device but we’ve always had a private suite with a dedicated server.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Beetroot is a classic ingredient in Australian burgers, hence why it’s on the menu.
It's not unknown in these parts too but it is usually shredded and listed on the menu as some people cannot stand it.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:06 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I agree, though, the burger has never been that great.

Those duck noodles were delicious on the previous menu, however!!!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Sadly, this place continues to underwhelm with the food not even close to what it used to be.

I stopped in for lunch last Sunday prior to my LAX-DFW flight and tried the Croque Monsieur. Ugh. Bad choice with little flavor. Yeah, this looks really appetizing...

Even AA's inflight Croque snack is way better. From JFK-LHR last month...

As long as I'm talking Croque, nothing tops Buvette (Paris 9e)...

Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sadly, this place continues to underwhelm with the food not even close to what it used to be. [in reference to QF F lounge]
(brackets mine)

I thought I've noticed things slipping here in terms of quality. It's gradual, but it's there. LAX T4 Flagship Dining, on the other hand, blew my socks off on my last visit. Hopefully AA doesn't compromise.
zpaul likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:59 pm

Is it possible to bring a guest with travels on a different flight which is op and marketed by OW (as a non-AA OW Emerald, travelling on an AA international flight in Y?
The OW rules say yes, but last year my guest was denied entry, because staff insisted, that the guest has to be on the SAME flight.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Panix
The OW rules say yes, but last year my guest was denied entry, because staff insisted, that the guest has to be on the SAME flight.
If the Emerald was not from Qantas then they were incorrect.

Qantas try to have their own rules for their own members, but a non QF elite's based access allows for a guest travelling on a oneworld marketed and operated flight.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
If the Emerald was not from Qantas then they were incorrect.

Qantas try to have their own rules for their own members, but a non QF elite's based access allows for a guest travelling on a oneworld marketed and operated flight.
Hmm! I told them, but couldn't convince them!
OW Emerald was Latam Black.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Panix
Hmm! I told them, but couldn't convince them!
OW Emerald was Latam Black.
The staff at this lounge have had their issues since the lounge opened.

You indicate your problem was last year; the most recent report here of such a failure was in April.

I suspect they have been reeducated again and you are likely to be fine this time.

Even the Qantas page clearly permits such guesting: Lounge Locations | North America | Los Angeles International Airport Tom Bradley Terminal | International First

Originally Posted by Eligible oneworld Status
Originally Posted by Emerald
Next onward flight that day must be on a oneworld operated and marketed flight.#~

One guest allowed and must be travelling on a oneworld operated and marketed flight.#
# A oneworld marketed flight refers to a flight with a oneworld flight number, eg QF1 or AA222. A oneworld operated flight refers to the actual aircraft or 'metal' on which you fly, eg Finnair aircraft.
Panix likes this.

Last edited by serfty; Oct 21, 2018 at 8:05 pm
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:09 pm

Cool! Thanks for the detailed information! ^
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Flying AA from LAX-SFO and connecting onto SFO-HKG in F same day on CX. Does this quality without status?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Flying AA from LAX-SFO and connecting onto SFO-HKG in F same day on CX. Does this quality without status?
Yes. Just show both bp's
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Much better dinner experience this past Monday before suffering in Economy on my LAX-JFK redeye. Great service at the bar with multiple excellent G&Ts.

Salt and pepper squid with green chili dipping sauce and aioli. Very good tonight.

For my main, the Chinese roast chicken with Sichuan eggplant, gai lan and jasmine rice. Delicious.

As was the Roast cauliflower and chickpeas with hummus, preserved lemon and sumac.

And a big wow for dessert. The Sticky Date pudding was to die for... with pecans, ginger butterscotch sauce and marscarpone.

Chalkie and deeruck like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
Much better dinner experience this past Monday before suffering in Economy on my LAX-JFK redeye. Great service at the bar with multiple excellent G&Ts....
Thanks for the pics .... pretty sad bar bottles compared to the F lounges in SYD and MEL. Ironic given the cheap cost of booze in US, but I suppose they have a lot of outgo so have to stock cheaper brands. QF really does well at their SYD/MEL F lounges when it comes to alcohol Food has become erratic these days but often good
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:30 pm

Hi everyone, I have just a quick question about access on separate tickets. I've got a flight in CX F booked as an Alaska partner award arriving into LAX in the morning, then departing to SFO on an Alaska flight late the same day (long connection). I understand that I'm not eligible for Qantas lounge access at LAX under my current ticket as my onward flight isn't on a Oneworld carrier. But if I buy a cheap LAX-SFO flight on AA just to get lounge access here, will that ticket be sufficient for access? Even if my CX F itinerary still has the final alaska flight attached?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.