Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold QFF WP AA EXP Marriott PPE HH Diam
I must say I was a little disappointed. It was my first trip to a first class lounge and expected it to be a decent sized step above the Business lounges, especially as it was brand new. I actually thought there was a lot of elements from the new Centurion lounges that could give it a run for its money.

The meals were very simplistic and not high quality produce by Australian standards. The menu was no better than at any suburban cafe, and probably worse. To advertise it as having any connection to Rockpool was misleading at least. If you were served anything like that at Rockpool, even as an entree, you would send it back to the kitchen. I expected an evening menu to come out and it never did. The bar was reasonably well stocked, but didn't seem to be too much better than the Business lounge except they did have an espresso machine. Best coffee all week (not that it takes much).

There was a major lack of power points. Seating seemed to be chosen based on the vicinity to the few chargers around. When it got busier before the BNE & SYD flights, I heard many people complaining about it. I was going to go down and compare how busy the Business lounge was at the same time but didn't want to give up my charger.

It was very loud at times but that did seem to be largely related to a few groups of British travelers who liked to yell across the lounge to each other. Thankfully, once they departed for their flight, it settled down a lot. I wouldn't exactly call it a private space, a few divides/walls would have been nice. I had a nice cozy lounge by the window to watch the comings and goings (was there for 7 hours) but heard a few people grumble about the comfort of the chairs (I did say it wasn't a very private space).

My daughter had a very very long shower and said it was wonderful. Maybe that was why there was no water left for me I did find the layout very strange. It had an open shower in front of the door and then the rest of the room to the side. Very small area to put your clothes. It was like the architects had never been to a Spa or any type of communal change room.

No type of Spa/Massage area, not even a sitting massage chair or an electric massage chair.

Personally, I am very grateful for QANTAS' family friendly policy and have no problem with children in the lounge, especially given we have 4. However, like anywhere, the onus is on the parents to control their kids and minimize their impact on other people. If they are running amok, take them for a walk in the terminal to settle them down or something, don't just sit there and pretend it's not your problem.

Overall, still very nice, but a missed opportunity. Comparing to the lows of American standards, instead of the best of international standards, they didn't set the bar where, for a little more effort, they could have. It may be the best in American for now, but for how long.....???
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I actually prefer the layout and decor of the J Lounge at LAX. The F Lounge has borrowed many elements from the design of MEL/SYD but the space itself just doesn't really work as well as either of those.
Food wise I think it's a notch below MEL/SYD but for a U.S. Lounge it's pretty good and the cocktails are excellent.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Moindardt
There was a major lack of power points. Seating seemed to be chosen based on the vicinity to the few chargers around. When it got busier before the BNE & SYD flights, I heard many people complaining about it. I was going to go down and compare how busy the Business lounge was at the same time but didn't want to give up my charger.
I don't understand how these lounges don't understand such a basic necessity as power points in 2015. I do get that more and more planes have in-seat power, and QF's IFE is excellent so you don't have to use your own device, but lounges aren't always about relaxing and waiting for my next flight - they're my office for a few hours, and having convenient power points seems like a no-brainer.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Just a quick question about access. I'm flying into the TBIT on BA F next Saturday evening, and leaving for AUS (also in F) from T4 at 00.55 Sunday morning. Will I be allowed access to the QF Lounge?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by patgarrett
Just a quick question about access. I'm flying into the TBIT on BA F next Saturday evening, and leaving for AUS (also in F) from T4 at 00.55 Sunday morning. Will I be allowed access to the QF Lounge?
What flight are you leaving from T4 on at 00:55 in the morning to 'AUS'?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:20 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
TBIT airside access requires departure from TBIT (airlines have no say in this as it is a security requirement so cannot be waived) so you only have access to the AA F lounge in T4 (not sure when it closes, used to be around midnight well before you Austin flight departure).
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by number_6
TBIT airside access requires departure from TBIT (airlines have no say in this as it is a security requirement so cannot be waived) so you only have access to the AA F lounge in T4 (not sure when it closes, used to be around midnight well before you Austin flight departure).
Untrue - this changed May 1 2014.

To get airside at any terminal at LAX, all a PAX needs is their BP (and appropriate Id) for a flight departing LAX from any terminal that same day.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 15, 2015 at 6:19 pm
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
What flight are you leaving from T4 on at 00:55 in the morning to 'AUS'?
Apologies - AA2399 to DFW. I wondered mainly about the same-day rule given that this departs after midnight.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Should be fine:

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

You are on an intl long haul in F, connecting to a one world short haul before 6AM next day.

Save BP for the BA flight; check in for the AA flight in advance (so you have this BP to enter security at TBIT).

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Aug 15, 2015 at 9:46 am
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Should be fine:

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

You are on an intl long haul in F, connecting to a one world short haul before 6AM next day.

Save BP for the BA flight; check in for the AA flight in advance (so you have this BP to enter security at TBIT).
Thank you.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
A few points from my recent trip:
- The bus now begins service at 4:30pm, not 4:00pm.
- Security on the Thursday I was flying through TBIT was about a 45-minute wait. They seemed to be using the Priority Access lines as overflow from the regular lines.
- Made sure to eat in the lounge, and was very impressed with everything. Thankfully I read your advice, as the in-flight meal was pretty horrible.
- The very few electrical outlets seemed to dictate where most people sat, making it clear that there aren't enough.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UN Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Was just denied entry with domestic boarding pass. For the last year I've scheduled my east coast trips to Vegas through LAX so I can get ink.sack cold fried chicken and then take it up to Qantas to enjoy with champagne. Today, as Emerald and travelling 1st domestic, I was not allowed entry. This is a first in the last year or so. The woman could not give me a finite reason other than "We got an email this week. I can't let you in." Just an FYI
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by jepiv
... Today, as Emerald and travelling 1st domestic, I was not allowed entry. This is a first in the last year or so. The woman could not give me a finite reason other than "We got an email this week. I can't let you in." Just an FYI
Since you are AA Emerald (AKA EXP) and were on a domestic itinerary that indeed complies with the rules. No access for EXP on North American itineraries.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:38 pm

I heard there is a small area in the first lounge for kids? Is this true? I have a 18 month old boy.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:21 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

Odd Advice From Lounge Agent

Our flight departed at 13:20 today with boarding at 12:50. Lounge agent said boarding had been moved to 13:15 (no flight delay) and asked "why we were leaving early?" when we left the lounge at 12:40. Boarded as we expected and left on time. I can only assume she mixed up our flight with another but she confirmed the flight number upon entry.

BTW, to the previous poster I saw no area for kids.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.