Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Oct 13, 2022, 9:21 pm

Access to Lounge

Hello, I apologize if this is not the right place to ask. I’m traveling on an AA flight from LAX to JFK with my partner next month. I have oneworld Emerald status/BA Gold. Will I be able to access this lounge? I wasn’t clear on the sticky post.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by rogue99
Hello, I apologize if this is not the right place to ask. I’m traveling on an AA flight from LAX to JFK with my partner next month. I have oneworld Emerald status/BA Gold. Will I be able to access this lounge? I wasn’t clear on the sticky post.
Yes. BA Gold gives you access, and you get one guest.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by rogue99
Yes, the wiki/sticky is not clear on guests. I'll update.
  • Where lounge access is available by class of service, First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.
  • Where lounge access is available by status, Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by serfty
  • Where lounge access is available by status, Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
Don’t you mean “Emerald and sapphire members members may invite one guest to join them in the First Class or Business Class lounge respectively” (or similar words) ??
Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Muckus
Yes. BA Gold gives you access, and you get one guest.
Thank you for replying! I was reading through and couldn’t figure it out.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:39 pm
vji

flying LAX-JFK on day 0 and then JFK-LHR on day 1. am ASMVP75K (OWE). would I have access?
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Hello! I am OWE (CK through AA.) I know I can use this lounge when departing LAX-MEX. However, I'm curious if I can use it on my layover on a MEX-LAX-SFO itinerary? I'm in J, but I don't think that's relevant. Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Hello! I am OWE (CK through AA.) I know I can use this lounge when departing LAX-MEX. However, I'm curious if I can use it on my layover on a MEX-LAX-SFO itinerary? I'm in J, but I don't think that's relevant. Thanks!
Given the international Itinerary MEX to SFO, you should get access. But who knows what will happen when you try to enter.
International North American FlightsAmerican Airlines AAdvantage members members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for access to oneworld member airline lounge when travelling solely on North American flights between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Limited Time Offer: Effective 1 April 2021, American Airlines First and Business Class customers, as well as American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members will be eligible for lounge access to AA Admirals Clubs when travelling on an AA operated international flight. For more information, visitAmerican Airlines’ website.
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
Old Oct 18, 2022, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Given the international Itinerary MEX to SFO, you should get access. But who knows what will happen when you try to enter.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
Thank you.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:38 am

Just adding a data point - the denials are still happening this morning.

LAX-JFK in AA F with BA Silver (Sapphire) attached. Agent never scanned the boarding pass, and was not familiar with JFK being a 3-cabin flight.

She then called the AA lounge a few times to confirm access - of course, the AA lounge agents claimed that access was only on international first.

Showing them the detail upthread from the OW AND Qantas site did no good - the agent reiterated that something had changed post-pandemic where AA has stopped "paying them" for access.

Will reach out to the lounge supervisor via email and report back...

Last edited by a330300; Nov 4, 2022 at 1:40 pm
Old Nov 5, 2022, 5:03 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Then other day I asked for toast topped with avocado (i.e. avocado toast) and bacon. Delicious.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by a330300
Just adding a data point - the denials are still happening this morning.

LAX-JFK in AA F with BA Silver (Sapphire) attached. Agent never scanned the boarding pass, and was not familiar with JFK being a 3-cabin flight.

She then called the AA lounge a few times to confirm access - of course, the AA lounge agents claimed that access was only on international first.

Showing them the detail upthread from the OW AND Qantas site did no good - the agent reiterated that something had changed post-pandemic where AA has stopped "paying them" for access.

Will reach out to the lounge supervisor via email and report back...
I'd contact the AA Flagship Lounge manager to get clarity on the question of if they are paying for access to the QF F lounge when flying F on AA on a 3 class transcon flight. Especially when the LAX FFD is not open.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Great experience today from efficient entry processing to quick food service. Menu hasn't changed from the summer, but everything we had was well executed.

I'm not a fried food person, but that S&P squid is addictive and they've got a decent Riesling that compliments that and the spicy stir fry well.

If I get over to the FL, I'll see if I can ascertain if AA has truly stopped provisioning access for premium transcon F.
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

incorrect - should read better

Last edited by serfty; Nov 6, 2022 at 7:50 pm
Old Nov 6, 2022, 10:51 am
Suspended

Being non US carrier one world Sapphire on a oneworld operated and marketed flight should have been sufficient on its own for entry. (That is item one in the Wiki.)

I would have asked the agent to scan the BP (and not wasted any time referencing AA Flagship transcon).
What? No. Sapphire gets you J lounges. Emerald needed for F lounges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.