Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges

Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by bradfrancini

Got it now, I see it. Thanks... Had no idea J on the Transcon would get you in. Assumed if anything that would get you into OW J lounge. Although come to think of it someone recently on the AA board was denied access to OW J on a Transcon which makes no sense if you get into QF F/
Old Aug 22, 2022, 6:29 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Got it now, I see it. Thanks... Had no idea J on the Transcon would get you in. Assumed if anything that would get you into OW J lounge. Although come to think of it someone recently on the AA board was denied access to OW J on a Transcon which makes no sense if you get into QF F/
No, it doesn’t say J on a premium transcon gets you into the F lounge, just that it grants oneworld lounge access. (And anyway, it’s probably moot because at LAX, the AA Flagship lounge which all premium transcon J passengers have access to, is better than the oneworld Business Lounge)
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by dw
No, it doesn’t say J on a premium transcon gets you into the F lounge, just that it grants oneworld lounge access. (And anyway, it’s probably moot because at LAX, the AA Flagship lounge which all premium transcon J passengers have access to, is better than the oneworld Business Lounge)
Sorry ya I goofed when I said J. I mean I didnt realize I was reading the general OW rules. I thought it was a link just for QF F. So J gets J and F gets F I got it now sorry. All these rules for lounge access are really confusing. I am still trying to figure them all out.

I have F on the red eye to JFK so just hoping to finally try QF F and see if the food is as good as everyone says. I have been very VERY underwhelmed by FFD food but keeping an optimistic outlook for QF F .
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... All these rules for lounge access are really confusing. I am still trying to figure them all out.....
The wiki is pretty strait forward.

I just wish the agents used one.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
The wiki is pretty strait forward.

I just wish the agents used one.
True.. It seems like the agents are going off what QF headquarters/customer service tells them? I mean when I got denied on arriving in F on JL HND-LAX I was told after calling QF the next day as well as contacting them on Twitter that I only get access if departing from LAX on the international leg. Also, they directed me to somewhere on the QF site where it said it was a QF lounge. I was trying to tell them its a OW lounge and to read the OW rules.

So if the issue is, and its happened a lot b/c I have read so many complaints, I dont understand why wouldnt OW get involved and set QF straight.

At any rate I will be there in a week and just hope I get let in on my LAX-JFK F boarding pass.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
True.. It seems like the agents are going off what QF headquarters/customer service tells them? I mean when I got denied on arriving in F on JL HND-LAX I was told after calling QF the next day as well as contacting them on Twitter that I only get access if departing from LAX on the international leg. Also, they directed me to somewhere on the QF site where it said it was a QF lounge. I was trying to tell them its a OW lounge and to read the OW rules.

So if the issue is, and its happened a lot b/c I have read so many complaints, I dont understand why wouldnt OW get involved and set QF straight.

At any rate I will be there in a week and just hope I get let in on my LAX-JFK F boarding pass.
OW is collection of airlines, with QF being a founding member. Who at OW is going to enforce rules on a unique case basis? The only option, frankly, is to have all the access rules at easy reach and walk the staff member through them politely, and having them scan the qualifying BP and show them the onward one on a OW carrier. They just want to get paid by one of the OW partners for cost incurred when providing access. It's nothing personal. If AA has negotiated to pay for QF F access at LAX for a qualifying 3 class transcon only flight, the computer would beep approvingly. The same when connecting to/from a qualifying long haul flight based on COS or OW Tier (OWE).
Old Aug 25, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
I mean when I got denied on arriving in F on JL HND-LAX I was told after calling QF the next day as well as contacting them on Twitter that I only get access if departing from LAX on the international leg. Also, they directed me to somewhere on the QF site where it said it was a QF lounge. I was trying to tell them its a OW lounge and to read the OW rules.
My understanding is that the LAX J Lounge is a OW Lounge (Operated by QF) but that the QF F Lounge is a QF Lounge. Regardless, OW rules should apply unless explicitly called out (such as QR used to deny status pax access to its J and F lounges and point passengers to dedicated status lounges). Incidentally the OW site still states the QF F Lounge is temporarily closed!

Make sure you have your QFF details in the booking for your LAX-JFK as (per OW rules):Domestic Flights

American Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on domestic U.S. flights (some exceptions apply). For more information, visit American Airlines' website.

Regards,

BD
Old Aug 25, 2022, 10:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Titanium Member
Access and Pre-Flight Dining

I’m flying from LAX to Europe on AA in Economy. I’m OW Emerald with AS. I read the rules thoroughly, and I see no reason why I wouldn’t have access?

Also, I just noticed that the rules say Pre-Flight Dining is excluded, is that correct?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by BD1959
Make sure you have your QFF details in the booking for your LAX-JFK as (per OW rules):Domestic Flights

American Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on domestic U.S. flights (some exceptions apply). For more information, visit American Airlines' website....
Note that those travelling in First on a three class AA service LAX-JFK should have access to the Qantas First Lounge at LAX.

To be clear, this is class of service based, not status.

Premium CustomersCustomers traveling in First or Business class, who do not hold oneworld Emerald or Sapphire status, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling on American Airlines domestic flights solely within U.S., between U.S. and Caribbean, between U.S. and Mexico (except Mexico City), or Canada, other than the exception listed below:
  • Customers traveling in First or Business class on select non-stop domestic U.S. transcontinental flights (JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO, and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
No issues getting in today as an Aadvantage Emerald flying LAX-MIA-LIM. Weirdly this routing does not allow Flagship Lounge access.

Breakfast menu was less impressive than the all day menu but I enjoyed my pancakes and the free flowing champagne. Mostly I was just happy to be here for the first time since COVID.

Only 6 of us here at 845 in the AM. It’s nice and quiet.

Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
No issues getting in today as an Aadvantage Emerald flying LAX-MIA-LIM. Weirdly this routing does not allow Flagship Lounge access.

Breakfast menu was less impressive than the all day menu but I enjoyed my pancakes and the free flowing champagne. Mostly I was just happy to be here for the first time since COVID.

Thank you for the review. Do you happen to know when they change over from breakfast to the main menu?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:09 pm

Thanks for breakfast menu pics. Pancakes look decent. How was the champagne? Better than what FL serves?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:14 pm

Note that those travelling in First on a three class AA service LAX-JFK should have access to the Qantas First Lounge at LAX.

Thanks and hope they will know this and just let me in w/ out issue. Never had a no issues visit to this lounge.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:16 pm

It would be ridiculous to think a QF F lounge agent could interpret that to mean LAX-JFK F only gets in if you are not a OW elite holder right? Like they wouldnt say sorry you are sapphire so you cant get in despite being in F. I've had 2 very bad experiences there being denied on itineraries that should have got me in so just thinking too much maybe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.