Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Gah - I'll miss the F lounge by 2 days!

With flagship dining shut, is it worth the COVID risk vs staying in the OW J lounge? (taking the morning LAX-SYD departure)
Old May 15, 2022, 2:21 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Matter of opinion if the AA FL lounge is better than the QF J lounge ... not that different except QF J is always crowded and AA FL is usually pretty empty. It isn't like the QF F lounges in SYD/MEL
Old May 15, 2022, 2:32 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
As long as the QF F Lounge is open for my visit in July. 😀
Old May 15, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by number_6
Matter of opinion if the AA FL lounge is better than the QF J lounge ... not that different except QF J is always crowded and AA FL is usually pretty empty. It isn't like the QF F lounges in SYD/MEL
Was a huge difference when I was there 24 hours ago. Agreed, It's not at QF F level but food options were much improved and a much nicer space to sit in with tarmac views.
Old May 15, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by number_6
I think the AA FL is better overall with their F&B, but I like to go to the QF J lounge for their draft beer options. But, of course QF F is the best choice for OWEs and those flying non-AA International F (assuming everything is open like pre-covid, such as the AA FFD)..
Old May 16, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Yup - prefer the FL over OW J at LAX. Or more importantly, whichever one is going to be quieter and less crowded. Counting the days down until QF F is open again. Been waiting over 2 years...
prof and brabb12 like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:58 am

Connecting domestic flight leaving 1159 pm, do I get access?

Assuming the lounge opens in the next several weeks, if I am flying
lax-Dfw-nrt all in j (one itinerary- had to reroute as they canceled lax-hnd AA flight)
Have AA emerald status
but my lax Dfw flight leaves at 1159 pm the day before my international leg
would I still get access?
thanks!
Old May 23, 2022, 1:47 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Xplays
Assuming the lounge opens in the next several weeks, if I am flying
lax-Dfw-nrt all in j (one itinerary- had to reroute as they canceled lax-hnd AA flight)
Have AA emerald status
but my lax Dfw flight leaves at 1159 pm the day before my international leg
would I still get access?
thanks!
No issues with access. Flying J has no effect, you could be flying Y. It has all to do with your EXP (OWE) status..
Old May 23, 2022, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
No issues with access. Flying J has no effect, you could be flying Y. It has all to do with your EXP (OWE) status..
thanks, was worried about my domestic connection departing the day before (2359)
although I just read up thread that it may not open til 6/22, might miss it by a few days.
1st world problem/rant but I went through great lengths to get owe status for the 1st time ever for a RTW trip this year and purposely planned stops in lax, hnd (now nrt), hkg, Lhr to hit all their first lounges now only have a brief nrt stop and Lhr (hkg leg got canceled). Between that and Emirates downgrading the a380 to 777 my AV geek dream trip isn’t quite living up to what it was supposed to have been.
oh well, I can live without ever trying the salt and pepper squid..
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:36 pm

Hi all, somewhat of a newbie question:
- I have a flight out of LAX with my Qantas frequent flyer attached to the booking (to rebuild status credits with QF)
- I also have oneworld emerald status through Qatar (Platinum).
Can I access the F lounge by just flashing my Qatar Platinum card at the gate, or do I need to attach it to my booking/boarding pass?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by matan100
Hi all, somewhat of a newbie question:
- I have a flight out of LAX with my Qantas frequent flyer attached to the booking (to rebuild status credits with QF)
- I also have oneworld emerald status through Qatar (Platinum).
Can I access the F lounge by just flashing my Qatar Platinum card at the gate, or do I need to attach it to my booking/boarding pass?
Yep, you can credit the flight to your QFF account but if you show your QR OWE membership card they will be able to grant you access.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:59 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by matan100
Of course, access will also be dependent on when the F lounge reopens
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP AY+ Plat UA Silver Marriott Titanium
Does anyone have an update on opening date or is it still "sometime in August"? Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:43 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Reported in another thread here this week as 8/8
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by King1028
Does anyone have an update on opening date or is it still "sometime in August"? Thanks!
There's mention that a J lounge staffer told somebody that the F lounge would reopen August 8, but that's yet to be announced/confirmed by Qantas (I asked last week and it's all still a "TBA").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.