Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by 2Tall4Y
Our flight departed at 13:20 today with boarding at 12:50. Lounge agent said boarding had been moved to 13:15 (no flight delay) and asked "why we were leaving early?" when we left the lounge at 12:40. Boarded as we expected and left on time. I can only assume she mixed up our flight with another but she confirmed the flight number upon entry.

BTW, to the previous poster I saw no area for kids.
That's to bad I read on a few reviews that there was going to be a small kids area I thought.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:30 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by brabb12
I heard there is a small area in the first lounge for kids? Is this true? I have a 18 month old boy.
Yes there is, ask at the entrance to see if free.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Hvr
Yes there is, ask at the entrance to see if free.
Great. Thank you. Is it like a secret area or something they keep quiet about???
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by serfty
Since you are AA Emerald (AKA EXP) and were on a domestic itinerary that indeed complies with the rules. No access for EXP on North American itineraries.
How about non AA emeralds's? Can they get access on domestic? Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
How about non AA emeralds's? Can they get access on domestic? Thanks
Yes assuming the domestic flight is operated by oneworld. Don't forget to leave the lounge early enough to change terminals and clear security (unless the domestic flight is QF to JFK which departs from TBIT).
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:56 am
Formerly known as jlars77

I think keeping the quiet is the intent...and they succeeded as I saw no sign of a play area...or kids ^

Originally Posted by brabb12
Great. Thank you. Is it like a secret area or something they keep quiet about???
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by 2Tall4Y
I think keeping the quiet is the intent...and they succeeded as I saw no sign of a play area...or kids ^
ah I see.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by thatguy47
Has anyone used this lounge for arrivals? I'm flying CX F into LAX and would like to stop in the lounge during my 5 hour layover.

http://travelsort.com/blog/internati...t-for-arrivals says that this should be allowed but then someone also commented that they were denied access.
Originally Posted by number_6
That is a QF benefit. For CX the Oneworld rules apply, which means you must have a Oneworld operated departure before 6 am of the day after your long-haul flight. So no CX F access as an arrival lounge. This is presuming you don't have any CX FF status.
Does the lounge access upon arrival also work in the reverse direction in SYD?
For example, if I fly LAX-SYD-Australia Domestic, can I access the first class lounge in SYD while waiting for my domestic connection?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by agjil
Does the lounge access upon arrival also work in the reverse direction in SYD?
For example, if I fly LAX-SYD-Australia Domestic, can I access the first class lounge in SYD while waiting for my domestic connection?
No, there is no arrivals access to the International lounges unless you have an onwards International connecting flight on *O
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Princess fiona
No, there is no arrivals access to the International lounges unless you have an onwards International connecting flight on *O
Thanks!
So I guess this is a unique benefit at LAX airport.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:42 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks!
Not unique to LAX - depends on the airport terminal configuration. E.g. LHR has both domestic and international flights from T5.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:42 pm

Thanks!
Just to clarify, there is no arrivals access at LAX either without an onwards connecting flight on *O. OWE (with the exception of AA Exp) can have access if it's a domestic flight. AA Exp can only access it if the domestic sector is part of an international ticket.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:34 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-calling-cops/

Anyone had trouble getting into the QF lounge while travelling US domestic?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Princess fiona
Just to clarify, there is no arrivals access at LAX either without an onwards connecting flight on *O. OWE (with the exception of AA Exp) can have access if it's a domestic flight. AA Exp can only access it if the domestic sector is part of an international ticket.
So if I have no status and fly SYD-LAX-JFK, where SYD-LAX is on QF F and LAX-JFK on AA F (domestic 3-cabin plane), can I use the QF F lounge at LAX before getting onto the domestic AA flight?
I realize AA doesn't use TBIT at LAX for most, if not all, of its domestic flights, but I'm just curious 'cuz I have about 5 hours to kill at the airport upon arriving at LAX from SYD.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:31 pm

So if I have no status and fly SYD-LAX-JFK, where SYD-LAX is on QF F and LAX-JFK on AA F (domestic 3-cabin plane), can I use the QF F lounge at LAX before getting onto the domestic AA flight?
I realize AA doesn't use TBIT at LAX for most, if not all, of its domestic flights, but I'm just curious 'cuz I have about 5 hours to kill at the airport upon arriving at LAX from SYD.
Yes you should be able to do so as per *O rules on COS.
Note however the article by Lucky linked above. This itself is based on a thread in the *O forum where there are numerous recent reports of QF denying lounge access to those with BP for AA flights / T4 departures.
Changes are afoot I think, and not in our favour.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.