Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: QF WP
Current menu?

Has the lounge restaurant transitioned into the Spring menu?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:31 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wonga
Spring starts (officially) on March 20th, I believe, so maybe a bit early yet. QF F lounges do not have a good track record for being all that timely with menu changes in any case. Someone may post when the new menu appears.
Wonga likes this.

Last edited by DC9; Mar 11, 2020 at 9:42 pm
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:55 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by DC9
Spring starts (officially) on March 20th, I believe, so maybe a bit early yet. QF F lounges do not have a good track record for being all that timely with menu changes in any case. Someone may post when the new menu appears.
Spring officially starts on 1 September. That’s as per QF central control in Coward Street.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:56 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(Deleted)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:41 am
DC9

Originally Posted by DC9
Originally Posted by og
Spring officially starts on 1 September. That’s as per QF central control in Coward Street.
Well, at the QF First Class lounge, LAX, things are a bit different (Spring is almost here)
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:07 am
DC9

Originally Posted by Wonga
Originally Posted by DC9
The Spring menu is now out (someone has posted a copy on AFF):

https://www.australianfrequentflyer....nu-jpg.209943/

https://www.australianfrequentflyer....nu-jpg.209944/
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:22 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If QF reduce to 789s out of LAX, there may be pressure to close the F lounge - as has happened in SIN. Just speculating (unfortunately).
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by og
If QF reduce to 789s out of LAX, there may be pressure to close the F lounge - as has happened in SIN. Just speculating (unfortunately).
I'd be surprised if any airline lounge in TBIT is operating by the end of this month.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Qantas F lounge is closed at LAX?
Old May 7, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Qantas F lounge is closed at LAX?
Regretfully they are closed. When they reopen you'll see that change in the language on this page: https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...o-lounges.html
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Once Qantas F opens I am being told by a Qantas rep via email that my itinerary would not get me in.

HKG-LAX on CX F
LAX- LAS on AA (on the same day and on the same ticket)

I thought Qantas F is a OW lounge. She seemed to imply its a Qantas lounge and unless the International F flight is not leaving from LAX the only way to get in is if you arrive on Qantas or are headed to catch a Qantas F flgiht, i.e. domestic la to dfw then dfw F to Syd.

I have read quite a lot of comments all over various travel blogs about how difficult it is to get in this lounge. I have no status w any airline but feel like my above itinerary qualifies much like it would if i was doing lax-jfk-LhR and the jfk to lhr was in F on a OW carrier.

Do i need to print the OW rules and have them ready? Or have things got better? I read a review on OMAAT that said someone w/. in Qantas upper mgmt threatened to call the airport police to get rid of ppl trying to enter that shouldnt.

Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:27 am
QG

Programs: QF WP, SQ TPPS
Unfortunately it appears the QF staffer is correct. Here are the rules from the QF site (highlighting is mine):"Lounge access eligibility is based on the class of travel or the Frequent Flyer Membership tier for your next onward flight.

Disclaimer: ^ Eligible members:
  • Qantas First customers and their guest.
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer members - Platinum One, Platinum members and their guests.
  • oneworldŽ International First customers, Emerald members and their guests. "
You would be using the lounge on arrival at LAX from HKG on CX F, which is not allowed, nor is entry allowed based on the next onward flight in AA domestic flight unless you had status, unfortunately.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Once Qantas F opens I am being told by a Qantas rep via email that my itinerary would not get me in.

HKG-LAX on CX F
LAX- LAS on AA (on the same day and on the same ticket)

I thought Qantas F is a OW lounge. She seemed to imply its a Qantas lounge and unless the International F flight is not leaving from LAX the only way to get in is if you arrive on Qantas or are headed to catch a Qantas F flgiht, i.e. domestic la to dfw then dfw F to Syd.

I have read quite a lot of comments all over various travel blogs about how difficult it is to get in this lounge. I have no status w any airline but feel like my above itinerary qualifies much like it would if i was doing lax-jfk-LhR and the jfk to lhr was in F on a OW carrier.

Do i need to print the OW rules and have them ready? Or have things got better? I read a review on OMAAT that said someone w/. in Qantas upper mgmt threatened to call the airport police to get rid of ppl trying to enter that shouldnt.

Thanks
Originally Posted by QG
Unfortunately it appears the QF staffer is correct. Here are the rules from the QF site (highlighting is mine):"Lounge access eligibility is based on the class of travel or the Frequent Flyer Membership tier for your next onward flight.

Disclaimer: ^ Eligible members:
  • Qantas First customers and their guest.
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer members - Platinum One, Platinum members and their guests.
  • oneworldŽ International First customers, Emerald members and their guests. "
You would be using the lounge on arrival at LAX from HKG on CX F, which is not allowed, nor is entry allowed based on the next onward flight in AA domestic flight unless you had status, unfortunately.
Based on OW rules, totally allowed access. Done it countless times coming back from different parts of Asia and continuing on a same day domestic connection. Doesn't even need to be on the same ticket, just on AA (it being a OW member)..
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:49 am

Thanks for the quick replies..

I did notice the "next onward flight" line but I still feel like the whole issue is if Qantas can add their own rules or is it a OW lounge where they should have to follow those rules.

Glad to hear of some success on multiple occasions getting in. Do you recommend I have the rules printed out for them? I feel like i have read issues with this lounge going back to when it opened.

Btw, I am just curious on a diff itinerary i was looking at but didnt go with...

AA HKG-DFW F
AA DFW-LAX
AA LAX-LAS

Had i dont that would I be allowed in? I mean going off OW rules b/c obviously if my current itinerary is a No according to Qantas then clearly this is even more of a No since I am neither heading out to my Int'l F flight nor is LAX my airport of arrival.. I know I'd be good to go at both FFD's at Dfw & Lax but was just curious as to how you read the OW rules if that would have granted me access.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:53 am

Also, just wondering what is anyones take as to if Qantas doesnt resume International flights but all the other OW carriers do will this lounge open or stay closed until Qantas resumes? In that case I guess my original question would be a mute point. I was just hoping to try this salt & pepper squid I keep hearing so much about

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.