Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I am on a first class paid Cathay SFO-HKG and have a connecting 1st Class AS LAX-SFO. My wife has same but all on one ticket, mine is two bought and combined/linked. Will we get access to Qantas First? If one does can the other be guested? We have AA Flagship LAX so is it even worth trying Qantas?
Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by tobikosan
I am on a first class paid Cathay SFO-HKG and have a connecting 1st Class AS LAX-SFO. My wife has same but all on one ticket, mine is two bought and combined/linked. Will we get access to Qantas First? If one does can the other be guested? We have AA Flagship LAX so is it even worth trying Qantas?
Unlikely to get Qantas First access as that is a oneworld benefit, and AS is not of oneworld.

Any LAX Flagship access would be by way of AA and not oneworld.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 7:03 am

Good morning All,

I recently re-visited the QF First Lounge at LAX before my trip to Asia. So I thought I'd share some pics along with the breakfast menu.

Happy Holiday!
jacobsleather and Wonga like this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by tobikosan

Try my suggestion with the AA ticket trick. SFO777 explained it pretty well below:

Originally Posted by SFO777
Don't bother. Just show up with your BA boarding pass. Agree with miamiflyer8. Simply buy a cheap AA ticket (like LAX-SFO) even non-refundable. Show them your AA boarding pass. Make sure to use Expedia.com which has a 24 hour refund policy. If that doesn't work, go the the AA Flagship Lounge... a 7-10 minute walk. Once you are in the lounge, cancel the ticket online with Expedia.com just before you leave for your LAX-NAN flight.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:27 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Try my suggestion with the AA ticket trick. SFO777 explained it pretty well below:
Just don't try this in Singapore where it is now a criminal offence (as of about a year ago) and at least one person has been jailed. Not sure of the US situation but DL has warned their FF about using tricks to "abuse" FF privileges, and this behaviour is easily tracked now in the days of big data. I'm sure AA is much more lenient than DL
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by number_6
Just don't try this in Singapore where it is now a criminal offence (as of about a year ago) and at least one person has been jailed. Not sure of the US situation but DL has warned their FF about using tricks to "abuse" FF privileges, and this behaviour is easily tracked now in the days of big data. I'm sure AA is much more lenient than DL
You are right. Israel and Singapore are places where one does not mess with this.

The DL incident was one guy who repeatedly used the SFO runway construction waiver to rebook for free.

Like I said before, do it once or twice and it won't be an issue. Make a habit of it, then they'll start cracking down.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:10 pm

OK to be an occasional fraudster but not a serial fraudster
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:26 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Even less than “occasional” ...
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
So when I book two tickets to help me decide at the airport where I want to travel to and cancel a ticket that allows cancellation makes me a fraudster?
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: QF WP
So when I book two tickets to help me decide at the airport where I want to travel to and cancel a ticket that allows cancellation makes me a fraudster?
Well, if the intention is to exploit lounge access, yes. I don't think any airline will buy the excuse "I gain moments of clarity that enable me to determine my eventual travel plans only once when I am comfortably seated in a lounge".

On topic: Recently visited the FLounge and had the heirloom tomatoes, alongside the Baja bass, with a side of the seasonal greens and some chips. Washed down with the 'Black Swan'. Not pictured: the caramel apple (which was fantastic).

Before I am unfairly accused of gluttony, might I add that I had come off a mid-con and had not eaten anything substantial since 11AM (it was approximately 9PM when I entered) .

Last edited by Wonga; Dec 2, 2019 at 8:41 pm
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Like I said before, do it once or twice and it won't be an issue. Make a habit of it, then they'll start cracking down.
One has to wonder, I know people who’ve done UA Polaris, and AA FFD and cancel when in the lounge at least 5x this year alone. Sometimes with a other passenger.

How many times is it a “habit” and they begin cracking down?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:54 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
One has to wonder, I know people who’ve done UA Polaris, and AA FFD and cancel when in the lounge at least 5x this year alone. Sometimes with a other passenger.

How many times is it a “habit” and they begin cracking down?
Its probably like churning credit cards every 33 days ...
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:48 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by og
Its probably like churning credit cards every 33 days ...
OMG. Buhahahahahaha!
og likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
I'm an OWE and have a CX F ticket. Can I guest 2 people into the lounge? 1 from the F ticket and 1 for being OWE?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by caimaster
I'm an OWE and have a CX F ticket. Can I guest 2 people into the lounge? 1 from the F ticket and 1 for being OWE?
You probably should be able to do so, but the lounge dragons might be resistant. They would get paid by AA and CX respectively for the access, so they shouldn't care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.