Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:26 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by S.R
Really? I was under the impression that the QF F would be better for dinner. I do anticipate I'll be getting to the airport somewhat early though, so I'll have time to check out both of the lounges anyway. I'll probably try to have a little something at each lounge!
QF F dining used to be much better than AA FL but now the tables have turned and these days AA First Dining is consistently better -- a great improvement by AA. It does seem to be particularly true at LAX, maybe because of the heavy paid F traffic on AA from their performing artists contract.
zpaul likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:49 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Don’t expect a pleasant relaxing QF Flounge experience at LAX if your visit coincides with several QF aircraft departing for SYD, MEL and BNE. You’ll be lucky to get a table or indeed anywhere to sit.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: Qantas & Virgin Australia Platinum
I saw on the wiki that the walk from T4 to TBIT is 10 minutes but just wondering if we should bother with the QF F lounge. We will be flying LAS-LAX arriving at 19:47 and then LAX-JFK departing at 21:30 so a 1hr47min transit. I am QF platinum travelling with my wife and 6 month old infant. How complicated is the terminal transfer and is there anything that might slow us down ie security checks etc? How much lounge time would we realistically have?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by m2704s
I saw on the wiki that the walk from T4 to TBIT is 10 minutes but just wondering if we should bother with the QF F lounge. We will be flying LAS-LAX arriving at 19:47 and then LAX-JFK departing at 21:30 so a 1hr47min transit. I am QF platinum travelling with my wife and 6 month old infant. How complicated is the terminal transfer and is there anything that might slow us down ie security checks etc? How much lounge time would we realistically have?
T4-TBIT and back is easy and completely airside inside security. It's a very pleasant walk with great plane watching opportunities. 10 minutes is plenty of time.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
T4-TBIT and back is easy and completely airside inside security. It's a very pleasant walk with great plane watching opportunities. 10 minutes is plenty of time.
Thanks SFO777. Sounds like we can make it work. Just on OG’s post above re visiting during the QF flights, looks like our visit will coincide with the BNE flight but we should be out before the SYD passengers flock in. We’ll be on the BNE flight a few days later.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Is there a new fall menu out yet, and if so, has anyone caught it?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Is there a new fall menu out yet, and if so, has anyone caught it?

Last edited by m2704s; Sep 11, 2019 at 11:52 pm Reason: Wrong info
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy

From the LAX lounge this evening.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:52 pm
Original Member

Thanks SFO777. Sounds like we can make it work. ....
Not sure why you would bother as WP has access to AA FL in T4 which is as good or better than the QF F lounge these days, much less crowded and far more convenient,, unless you really want to go for a few hundred metre walk.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Not sure why you would bother as WP has access to AA FL in T4 which is as good or better than the QF F lounge these days, much less crowded and far more convenient,, unless you really want to go for a few hundred metre walk.
But since I'm flying in business I wouldn't have access to flagship first dining so I would've thought in that case QF F lounge would be a better option?
zpaul likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I have an access question - I'm flying YVR to JFK in Cathay Pacific First but need to position from LAX to Vancouver on the day of the flight. If I book an AA flight from LAX to Vancouver, will I have access to the QF First lounge at LAX on account of my YVR to JFK segment?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 14, 2019, 3:34 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ron187
I have an access question - I'm flying YVR to JFK in Cathay Pacific First but need to position from LAX to Vancouver on the day of the flight. If I book an AA flight from LAX to Vancouver, will I have access to the QF First lounge at LAX on account of my YVR to JFK segment?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Lounge access by class of travel is based on your next flight. AA doesn't offer F from LAX-YVR, only J, so no access (as defined by QF).
Old Sep 14, 2019, 3:39 pm
Original Member

But since I'm flying in business I wouldn't have access to flagship first dining so I would've thought in that case QF F lounge would be a better option?
I've always had access to FL dining based on status so I thought it was a WP benefit but maybe from other status that I have, if you have been told you don't have access when not flying F. Most of the time I fly AA F out of LAX so I'm not sure when my last status based access was, it could have been a couple of years ago. Without FL dining it does drop the FL rating significantly.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Lounge access by class of travel is based on your next flight. AA doesn't offer F from LAX-YVR, only J, so no access (as defined by QF).
This is not always true.

If one is connecting on a journey between "an international long haul (... scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa)" then class of service based access is available at all departure ports based on the class of the long haul flight.

@ron187 would conceptually have access because the YVR -JFK is scheduled at 5 hours and 5 minutes. I post 'conceptually' as Qantas TBIT lounge agents are notorious for inconsistency in their application of access rules.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
snabbu likes this.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 14, 2019 at 5:26 pm
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:51 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I've always had access to FL dining based on status so I thought it was a WP benefit but maybe from other status that I have, if you have been told you don't have access when not flying F. Most of the time I fly AA F out of LAX so I'm not sure when my last status based access was, it could have been a couple of years ago. Without FL dining it does drop the FL rating significantly.
I believe the person is talking about the FL First Dining, witch is better than the usual FL buffet. I usually find the FL buffet offerings dried out, flavorless, and boring, especially compared to the QF FC menu, which is made to order. The sea bass has been one of my favorites, though it seems there is always something great on the menu, whether a starter or dessert. I've only done the FL FC dining at JFK (after my CX FC NYE gift,) and it was great.
zpaul likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.