Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by SvenB1414
Was just denied access to Qantas First. I'm AA EXP flying LAX-JFK in J. Was this right?
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Given that LAX is an AA hub and many EXP's are based there, there would be too many people with access to the QF F lounge at any given time. As AA doesn't permit lounge access to their own EXP's on sole North American itineraries, QF and AA have decided to install the reciprocal policy to only allow EXP's on a qualifying itinerary.

And like I posted above, this policy will also apply to the QF lounge as it does to the AA lounges.

AAdvantage® ConciergeKeySM and Executive Platinum members (regardless of cabin flown) departing or connecting to a qualifying international* flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Central and South America, Australia, New Zealand and Mexico City (MEX) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between JFK and LAX or SFO and LAX and Miami (MIA). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit.
Look, I'd be really fine and happy if that were the case, but I have seen nothing in writing from an authoritative source to back it up.

When it all comes down to it all that's needed is a print out on paper stating a business class EXP traveler LAX-JFK/MIA has access to oneworld First lounges.

Even the last two paragraphs of your post (which I believe come from AA.com) do not refer to the Qantas First lounge at all. Moreover, the text only refers with the * to "Qualifying International flights" - the subsequent reference to "Qualifying transcontinental flights" is not relevant in your excerpt. There's more here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp

We have a problem. I have shown literal proof of my reasoning. You edited the wiki in line with your reasoning to which you have provided no literal proof. I have revised that edit.

The circumstance of 'SvenB1414' do not come up a great deal and, even with my tighter reasoning, they still would have access to the oneworld business lounge at TBIT and the AA lounges at T4; just not the Qantas First lounge.

This is a communal forum. You have indicated I have provided misinformation, but you have provided no direct proof of this. To me, the AA/QF/oneworld rules for the use of the lounge are clear.

Last edited by serfty; May 25, 2017 at 3:31 pm
Old May 26, 2017, 8:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Since QF F lounge is a oneworld lounge not operated by AA, AA's rules for its own lounges are irrelevant and instead oneworld lounge access rules based on status and class of service apply.

oneworld.com lounge access for oneworld lounges

Originally Posted by oneworld.com
oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. American Airlines and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.
  2. American Airlines AAdvantage® members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, visit, http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp
  3. Qantas Frequent Flyer Gold members, regardless of their oneworld tier status, cannot access Qantas Domestic Business Lounges.
  4. Qatar Airways’ Al Safwa First and Al Mourjan Business lounges in Doha (DOH) and Qatar Airways’ Premium Lounges at Dubai (DXB), London (LHR) and Paris (CDG) are excluded.
If AA EXP passenger flying between LAX & JFK then exception 2 applies and rules out status-based access to QF F lounge at LAX.

Originally Posted by oneworld.com
oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.
  • First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.
  • Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
    • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
    • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
    • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.
  2. Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways’ Al Safwa First and Al Mourjan Business lounges in Doha (DOH), or Qatar Airways’ Premium Lounges at Dubai (DXB), London (LHR) and Paris (CDG).
This shows if flying F LAX-JFK (with any or no status) then have access to QF F lounge, because exception 1 applies only to the AA lounges.

If flying J on LAX-JFK (and no connecting international first flight), then based on class of travel there is only access to QF business lounge (again exception 1 does not apply to QF J lounge).

In conclusion the only circumstance an AA EXP passenger flying LAX-JFK (with no connecting international flights) has access to QF F lounge under oneworld rules are if flying in F on the flight.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Have read the Wiki and I think the answer is yes to this question but just wanted to double check - as a BA Gold (OWE) would I have access to this lounge on a purely US domestic ticket e.g. LAX-SEA? Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wheatbeer
Have read the Wiki and I think the answer is yes to this question but just wanted to double check - as a BA Gold (OWE) would I have access to this lounge on a purely US domestic ticket e.g. LAX-SEA? Thanks.
If flying one a oneworld operated and marketed flight to SEA then as a BAEC Emerald it should not be a problem.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Want as lounge attendant attempted to block acces

I know this has been an issue in the past.

I am OW emerald and flew LHR - LAX in J on AA. I had a domestic connection in F on AA.

The lounge attendant told me that I was not entitled to use the lounge. When I quoted the relevant rules, he told me that he knew the rules but that they were based on cabin, not status. He also said they'd be changing the rules soon and "they'll let you guys know".

He said he'd let me in "as a one-time exception".

Just a warning to other fliers, this bad behavior has not disappeared.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by embarcadero1
..."one time exception".

Just a warning to other fliers, this bad behavior has not disappeared.
As an AAdvantage EXP on a "non North American itinerary" you certainly should have had access without fuss even if traveling the entire journey in economy.

I wonder if the he realized he had made a mistake but was not prepared to admit it.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Platinum Elite, HH Gold
AA EXP - Access for J

I am AA EXP and was traveling LAX to JFK in J on AA30 late Sunday night. I had previously thought AA EXPs traveling LAX to JFK on the nonstop 3-cabin transcon only had QF First lounge access if traveling in F (assuming no qualifying international itinerary). I decided to chance it, and walked up to the check-in desk. The agent scanned my boarding pass, looked at it, seemed to think for a moment, said: "So you're oneworld emerald..."

Then she asked me for my AA number, which she then typed in; then welcomed me into the club.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheRealLJah
Then she asked me for my AA number, which she then typed in; then welcomed me into the club.
Going by published rules you were fortunate. However, the rules can be confusing, especially at LAX with the multi layers of access.

SvenB1414 was turned away, you were not. I suspect there are not many EXP traveling in 3 class AA Business endeavoring to access the lounge.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Good LAX QF F Lounge Access Story- Before BPs were Issued

Recently my wife and I were on our way to Tokyo. We had award tix on JL from LAX to NRT, however we flew into LAX on paid tix from AUS, arriving around 7:30 AM, and our JL flight wasn't until 1:30 PM.

We had not been able to check-in for the JL flight prior, so we wandered over to TBIT to try to figure out how we could do this without having to go landside again. Stopped by the OW Business Lounge and asked if there was anywhere where we could talk to a JL rep to check-in.

The attendant was awesome. We showed them our flights on our AA phone apps, she wrote down the info, and said that the JL rep wouldn't be available until closer to departure. She noted that we were EXP, so she said we had access to the QF First Lounge. We said yes, we were aware, but didn't think we would be granted access without our actual BPs. She said, no worries, called their front desk and sent us on our way there.

Upon arriving (1 minute later ), the gentleman was ready for us. Just asked to see our original inbound tickets for some info, did some typing, and let us in. About 2 hours later a JL rep showed up at the lounge, checked us in, and that was that. Very nice surprise all the way around!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Recently my wife and I were on our way to Tokyo. We had award tix on JL from LAX to NRT, however we flew into LAX on paid tix from AUS, arriving around 7:30 AM, and our JL flight wasn't until 1:30 PM.

We had not been able to check-in for the JL flight prior, so we wandered over to TBIT to try to figure out how we could do this without having to go landside again. Stopped by the OW Business Lounge and asked if there was anywhere where we could talk to a JL rep to check-in.

The attendant was awesome. We showed them our flights on our AA phone apps, she wrote down the info, and said that the JL rep wouldn't be available until closer to departure. She noted that we were EXP, so she said we had access to the QF First Lounge. We said yes, we were aware, but didn't think we would be granted access without our actual BPs. She said, no worries, called their front desk and sent us on our way there.

Upon arriving (1 minute later ), the gentleman was ready for us. Just asked to see our original inbound tickets for some info, did some typing, and let us in. About 2 hours later a JL rep showed up at the lounge, checked us in, and that was that. Very nice surprise all the way around!
Nice one!
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:49 am

Impressed!

We were waiting for an early AM departure (post midnight) and my wife wanted to take a nap. They offered and brought over a pillow and blanket to make it more comfortable. Unexpected and much appreciated I must say..
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:40 pm
LTH

Programs: AA EXP, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, SPG Platinum
I'm AA EXP arriving from LHR, connecting to a domestic flight, both legs in Y and operated by AA. Do I have access to this lounge?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTH
I'm AA EXP arriving from LHR, connecting to a domestic flight, both legs in Y and operated by AA. Do I have access to this lounge?
Yes, as per the second ● point in the wiki.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The oneworld site has been updated in the last day or two.

This change was noted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28683949-post586.html

Access for those on transcon flight to JFK or MIA, the 3-class specification has been removed:
customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by serfty
The oneworld site has been updated in the last day or two.

This change was noted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28683949-post586.html

Access for those on transcon flight to JFK or MIA, the 3-class specification has been removed:
We'll see how long it takes the QF F Lounge gatekeepers to accept this change (if indeed intentional). Their track record on understanding and respecting the OW access rules is notably spotty from time to time.

Not too long ago I flew transcon J (in 3 class) from JFK to LAX, connecting to a flight to AUS, and as an EXP, I was granted access. But they said it was because they knew me as a frequent visitor (i.e, I got access as a favor)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.