Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:41 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by serfty
(As far as S&P squid goes, I have not had it since I had an off serving in the SYD First lounge around 2008 - the smell makes me queezy these days)
OT: I still feel queezy at the smell of Drambuie - and that is 30 years later
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Summer Lunch/Dinner Menu at LAX Qantas F Lounge?

Anybody taken a picture of the QF LAX F Lounge lunch/dinner (aus summer)menu they could share? I know it's slightly different from the SYD/MEL menus..
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Anybody taken a picture of the QF LAX F Lounge lunch/dinner (aus summer)menu they could share? I know it's slightly different from the SYD/MEL menus..
I got this one but I don't know if it's up to date.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: aa exp, ihg plat amb
Will I have access in this case-

I'm Emerald through American. I'm looking at a late night flight (11 pm) from LAX-MIA in Business or First, then connecting the next day to an International flight in Business.
I know I would have access if all the same day, but do you think they will let me in the night before since I'm flying overnight?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by aaliz
Will I have access in this case-

I'm Emerald through American. I'm looking at a late night flight (11 pm) from LAX-MIA in Business or First, then connecting the next day to an International flight in Business.
I know I would have access if all the same day, but do you think they will let me in the night before since I'm flying overnight?
Your LAX-MIA flight counts as "international" so it wouldn't be a problem on paper, but the front staff are incompetent souls so it could take a fight.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: aa exp, ihg plat amb
Thanks, I'll hope.

I think I'm flying First on a 2-class flight to Miami before connecting to International the next day, if that makes a difference.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by aaliz
Thanks, I'll hope.

I think I'm flying First on a 2-class flight to Miami before connecting to International the next day, if that makes a difference.
Well if it's only two cabin it does not count, since your international itinerary has to start the day before it should count.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Just used the lounge today as part of a DOH-LAX-ORD itinerary on QR in J and AA in Y as an EXP. Got into the lounge about 2pm. Lounge was very quiet and I was able to get a show straightaway. After that, grabbed a seat at the bar and had a glass of wine and the cheese plate. In all honesty, I found it a bit of a letdown. Very sterile - no warmth at all. Yes, it is miles aheadahead of the AA offering in T4 but for goodness sake this wasn't the Holy Trail of Lounges. IMHO I think the lounge in HKG is leaps and bounds ahead of this one. I saw it, I enjoyed it but don't think it is worth the trek from T4. But hey, that's just me (so flame away!).
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Just used the lounge today as part of a DOH-LAX-ORD itinerary on QR in J and AA in Y as an EXP. Got into the lounge about 2pm. Lounge was very quiet and I was able to get a show straightaway. After that, grabbed a seat at the bar and had a glass of wine and the cheese plate. In all honesty, I found it a bit of a letdown. Very sterile - no warmth at all. Yes, it is miles aheadahead of the AA offering in T4 but for goodness sake this wasn't the Holy Trail of Lounges. IMHO I think the lounge in HKG is leaps and bounds ahead of this one. I saw it, I enjoyed it but don't think it is worth the trek from T4. But hey, that's just me (so flame away!).
Lighter stick...

I agree that on the surface it can come across a little sterile, but in my experience once in you get to know that staff, which I've found fantastic, it is an excellent place to spend some time prior to a connection.

That said, I withdraw my lighter stick, as I appreciate different opinions..
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Search for the term 'Cafeteria' ...

I enjoyed the ambience of the old T4 F/L more (although the food is better in TBIT).
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:15 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Just used the lounge today... I found it a bit of a letdown. Very sterile -
It is a high-volume lounge and designed for that purpose. The QF F lounges in MEL and SYD are far nicer. But ultimately how nice can any lounge be (even if it does serve $200 per bottle scotch)? QF is commendable for having some interesting and quite fine wines in their F lounges and on board F service. Pretty much the best I've found since the Concorde, but it is a bit erratic.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
...IMHO I think the lounge in HKG is leaps and bounds ahead of this one...
No flame because you're right, internationally, but when comparing between other currently accessible options only in LAX, QF does stand out.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Here's a picture of the current menu I took last month. It's the winter menu there at this time though.

http://i.imgur.com/dNGWgXP.jpg
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
If an AA OWE/EXP is traveling QF J and then connecting to AA/AE domestic F, can you use the QF F Lounge at LAX? On similar itineraries in the past, I have proceeded to the AA FL at LAX T4, but I would like to try out the QF F lounge on an upcoming flight.

It's been a while since I arrived at TBIT on an international flight. Where does one end up after passing through immigration and customs at TBIT after arriving on a QF flight? Are you still at TBIT and you can go through security at TBIT again to access the lounge?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Time traveller
If an AA OWE/EXP is traveling QF J and then connecting to AA/AE domestic F, can you use the QF F Lounge at LAX? On similar itineraries in the past, I have proceeded to the AA FL at LAX T4, but I would like to try out the QF F lounge on an upcoming flight.
Yes, you should get access. Just show both BP's.

Originally Posted by Time traveller
It's been a while since I arrived at TBIT on an international flight. Where does one end up after passing through immigration and customs at TBIT after arriving on a QF flight? Are you still at TBIT and you can go through security at TBIT again to access the lounge?
They opened a new connector at the arrivals level of TBIT last year. After re-depositing bags head right after entering the arrivals hall, and go to the end of the corridor. This brings you out airside near the QF First lounge entrance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.