Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
Maybe domestic Y travel would qualify if holding non AAdvantage Emerald status ...

... but it is not the domestic Y that qualifies in that case, it is status.
But AA Exp will get you access if travelling in Y. I've been through the QF F lounge travelling in J to MIA and have been told by the lounge attendants that MIA and JFK were the only routes where AA exp were allowed regardless of class of service. I was connecting from a J SYD-LAX flight, but that was on a separate PNR and I never showed my SYD-LAX BP at the entrance.

Last edited by bensyd; Sep 13, 2016 at 2:55 am
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by bensyd
But AA Exp will get you access if travelling in Y. I've been through the QF F lounge travelling in J to MIA and have been told by the lounge attendants that MIA and JFK were the only routes where AA exp were allowed regardless of class of service. I was connecting from a J SYD-LAX flight, but that was on a separate PNR and I never showed my SYD-LAX BP at the entrance.
That contravenes the published rules. (You probably had a misinformed agent.)

There is NO AAdvantage status based lounge access for EXP or Plat on a "North American" oneworld itinerary, not even on three class AA transcontinental flights.

There is "Class of Service" based lounge access for those in First or Business on those certain defined three class transcontinental services.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That contravenes the published rules. (You probably had a misinformed agent.).
Agents. It's happened twice in the last couple of months.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd
Agents. It's happened twice in the last couple of months.
Certainly misinformed or applying misinformed rules.

Many here understand the rules far better than many agents.

I guess very few (no-one?) are going to complain when getting access beyond entitlements.

Certainly if you read threads in relation to this lounge, it is obvious people do complain when access is incorrectly denied.

The correct rules are indeed referenced in the Wiki.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 13, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Certainly misinformed or applying misinformed rules.

Many here understand the rules far better than many agents.

I guess very few (no-one?) are going to complain when getting access beyond entitlements.

Certainly if you read threads in relation to this lounge, it is obvious people do complain when access is incorrectly denied.

The correct rules are indeed referenced in the Wiki.
I'm not all that up to speed on the Byzantine lounge access rules, so I'll defer to the wiki.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA Gold, SWA, Lifemiles, Emirates, Amex Plat.
Smile

Originally Posted by mster
Passed through this lounge again earlier this week - new fall menu is in full effect ^
Anything new or exciting?????
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by legallyblond
Anything new or exciting?????
Hope they didn't remove the salt&pepper squid.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Nope. I believe it is a year round standard.. and a good one for that!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
It was there on friday
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by WendyTJ
It was there on friday
Well that one is a Neil Perry signature item so I doubt they'll remove it. Imagine how Platinum One members will react if it is removed.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Is LAX-HKG at 0155 same day?

I am OW Emerald traveling on the AA 193 LAX-HKG in J. The flight leaves at 0155. If I end up at the airport early can I access the Quantas lounge?

Thnx
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crazyboutflying
I am OW Emerald traveling on the AA 193 LAX-HKG in J. The flight leaves at 0155. If I end up at the airport early can I access the Quantas lounge?

Thnx
Sure, while it is open - reports upthread are it closes/winds down up to three hours before your flight.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sure, while it is open - reports upthread are it closes/winds down up to three hours before your flight.
Great, thanks! I was concerned about the "same day" clause in the accessibility
note
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..If I end up at the airport early can I access the Quantas lounge?
You could try the Qantas lounge, if open
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:25 pm

Thnx
Yes. Enjoy your meal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.