Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old May 23, 2024, 8:06 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
It's definitely better than the Flagship Lounge, but agree it's not what it once was.

The decline of their beverage program is significant.

They need to bring the folks over from Singapore to show them how to run an outstation lounge.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL PM
Did a lounge run over the weekend to check it out. I enjoyed the a la carte food, although several times my drink order was missed / forgotten. The meringue/Pavlova desert and ice cream sundaes were surprisingly good. Grilled bass was okay, fries ("chips") and croque monsieur so-so, while the cheeseburger was dry and tasteless.

Since I positioned on Delta, I got a chance to check out a bunch of LAX lounges. I would say the Qantas First Class lounge was #1 for the food and drinks, although I preferred to actually "lounge" in the Flagship Lounge (especially if doing computer work). The Delta Sky Clubs (especially T3) are quite nice and really not far behind the Flagship Lounge. Then there's a big step down to the Amex Centurion Lounge. And then an even bigger step down to the Qantas Business Class lounge.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
Did a lounge run over the weekend to check it out. I enjoyed the a la carte food, although several times my drink order was missed / forgotten. The meringue/Pavlova desert and ice cream sundaes were surprisingly good. Grilled bass was okay, fries ("chips") and croque monsieur so-so, while the cheeseburger was dry and tasteless.

Since I positioned on Delta, I got a chance to check out a bunch of LAX lounges. I would say the Qantas First Class lounge was #1 for the food and drinks, although I preferred to actually "lounge" in the Flagship Lounge (especially if doing computer work). The Delta Sky Clubs (especially T3) are quite nice and really not far behind the Flagship Lounge. Then there's a big step down to the Amex Centurion Lounge. And then an even bigger step down to the Qantas Business Class lounge.
Agree with your assessments. However, food at the FL is so bad. But for the hottest shower the winners are still the *A lounge or even the KAL lounge, both 10-12 degrees hotter showers than QF.

I want to try that pavolva hope it stays on the menu a couple more months.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 5:52 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
The pavlova is pretty fantastic. Hope it stays as well. I've had to explain to staff there the history of it, it's a good story.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Didn't get to try the pavlova, but the chocolate bread and butter pudding was/is also pretty darn good too.
econ likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
I want to try that pavlova hope it stays on the menu a couple more months.
The deconstructed Pavlova has been a mainstay of the Qantas First lounges for over a decade. While it has been "there" and "gone" at times over that period, it is mainly "there".
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
The deconstructed Pavlova has been a mainstay of the Qantas First lounges for over a decade. While it has been "there" and "gone" at times over that period, it is mainly "there".
I have only been since 2019 and it’s never been on. But I’ve only been 5 x

The desserts I have had there were by far the weakest part of the meal.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 8:04 am

Programs: QF, CX, BA
Anyone have the latest menu? Are we up to the summer menu now?
Old Jun 5, 2024, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Was still the spring menu a week ago. A blog review from mid-June last year shows the summer menu, so if that is anything to go by, it should change soon or have already changed.
mitellic likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by mitellic
Anyone have the latest menu? Are we up to the summer menu now?
Just changed over today.

Old Jun 13, 2024, 10:00 pm

If I have my emerald status from BA, and I am flying LAX -> DOHA but with my AA number attached. Can I simply show my ticket + my membership card from BA or do I have to have my BA status linked to the ticket
Old Jun 13, 2024, 10:13 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by slhu82
If I have my emerald status from BA, and I am flying LAX -> DOHA but with my AA number attached. Can I simply show my ticket + my membership card from BA or do I have to have my BA status linked to the ticket
I think you should be okay flashing your BA gold card at the lounge dragons.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 3:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by slhu82
You just neee to show your Gold status credentials. You do not need to have it on the boarding pass or be crediting the flight to BA.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA, KF
With OWE status, would a companion be able to access the lounge?
Old Jun 16, 2024, 8:52 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Stingyguy
With OWE status, would a companion be able to access the lounge?
Per their website you can guest a person. Only exception is if you’re with AA or AS and traveling to most North American destinations

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.