Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old May 8, 2024, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by beachfan
I had a great lunch there in December. Has lunch quality deteriorated that much.
Had a couple lunch/dinners earlier this year that I thought were pretty good. The tacos were my favorite of what I tried, although it was the Winter Menu then. Looks like they changed from prawns to asada for the Spring Menu.

Squid was fine, as was the minute steak. Although they provided enough butter to make most steaks taste pretty good. Seasonal greens were just a bowl of broccoli though which was kind of disappointing. Enjoyed the bread and butter pudding for dessert.
Old May 9, 2024, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
I had a great lunch there in December. Has lunch quality deteriorated that much.

Have an AA lax-Lhr F ticket on hold (3class plane), which should get me in.
I had lunch there a week ago and found it to be pretty good. It's not a Michelin starred restaurant but my fiance and I were both quite satisfied with the food served to us. Most importantly it is a nice oasis inside of TBIT to wait for your flight.
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 12:40 am

Programs: DL PM
I saw just a bit upthread that arrivals access is not allowed which I thought was allowed by OneWorld. Newly minted BA gold / OWE - would I not be allowed in on a coach award AA itinerary terminating in LAX??
Old May 13, 2024, 12:56 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
I saw just a bit upthread that arrivals access is not allowed which I thought was allowed by OneWorld. Newly minted BA gold / OWE - would I not be allowed in on a coach award AA itinerary terminating in LAX??
You would not be allowed in. Please see the wiki.
Old May 13, 2024, 9:15 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
You would not be allowed in. Please see the wiki.
absolutely not allowed. We are NOT an arrivals lounge
Old May 13, 2024, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by kamadzu4
You would have access to the Flagship lounge.
Old May 14, 2024, 1:35 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am confused on the assumption of access to a departure lounge, when arriving?

From OW access rules
"Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges"
"at the airport from which the
oneworld flight on which the eligible customer is travelling departs."

It seems fairly clear to me. And I get that some airlines may have rules that are more expansive, but QF is pretty clear - "
for your next onward flight"

Have I missed something?

KF
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Have I missed something?
KF
No, you have missed nothing. The means of access to this lounge are clearly stated in the Wiki. Arrivals without departure is not one of them.

American Airlines allow arrivals access to their Flagship Lounge based on various criteria, none of which are applicable to the Qantas First lounge.
Koru Flyer likes this.

Last edited by serfty; May 14, 2024 at 5:09 am
Old May 20, 2024, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
current menu still the same one as above?
Old May 20, 2024, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I would expect so. It says "spring menu" and May is still very much spring (you could argue June too if May Gray continues into June Gloom).
Radiation Station likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by dkc192
I would expect so. It says "spring menu" and May is still very much spring (you could argue June too if May Gray continues into June Gloom).
I could very much argue June is still Spring, at least through around mid-afternoon June 20th.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:13 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The gloss is wearing off this lounge. After the initial enthusiastic greetings, staff seem to forget that people are waiting for their meals - even if they have been prepared and sit under lights for a quarter of an hour - and surprise surprise are almost cold when delivered. Happened 3 weeks ago and again earlier this week. Also, having to consistently call someone for a drink refill is disappointing.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by og
The gloss is wearing off this lounge. After the initial enthusiastic greetings, staff seem to forget that people are waiting for their meals - even if they have been prepared and sit under lights for a quarter of an hour - and surprise surprise are almost cold when delivered. Happened 3 weeks ago and again earlier this week. Also, having to consistently call someone for a drink refill is disappointing.
I belly up to the bar
Old May 22, 2024, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
current menu still the same one as above?
yes, confirmed as of today. I was told that the menu will change in about two weeks.
Old May 22, 2024, 11:25 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by og
Qantas do better
I would eat elsewhere and only use the lounge if flying out of Tom Bradley
the offerings basically suck.And the cost cuts are really showing the cheaper tea, commercial quality products
Qantas is sinking and so is there in flight catering.You know they are really bad when American Airlines in the air delivers better to Australia 🙄🫣
It once was truly world class imo in the past
Still better than the gas station buffet @ Flagship Lounge
happiest_at_40000 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.