Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connectingß to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

ß Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
What's the latest on access for F passengers in 3-class AA LAX-JFK cabin as of Dec2019? (Assume doesnt matter if one is AA executive platinum or not in this case).
You should have class of service access to any of the oneworld lounges at LAX including Flagship First Dining at T4.

You should also have arrivals access to the Flaship lounge at JFK.

Last edited by serfty; Dec 19, 2019 at 1:43 am
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by serfty
You should have class of service access to any of the oneworld lounges at LAX including Flaship First Dinkng at T4.

You should slso have arrivals access to the Flaship lounge at JFK.
To add to this, QF F is nice, but AA FLFD has Krug.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Wonga
To add to this, QF F is nice, but AA FLFD has Krug.
obviously, that's what is making us book this "web-special" F flight with 6 hr stopover. thanks for replies, got initially confused with subnotes in wiki
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Great service in the lounge last night as usual. This is something that confounds me as I am constantly told that in North America good service is dependent on tipping which seems to be the rare exception in this lounge. Perhaps they are doing some experimental work on the staff involving wombat stem cells to achieve this unexpected result
Nah, the service is usually good in the LAX lounge because youíre usually the only one In there. Most people flying AA F out of LAX clearly donít get there early for the lounge they are business people wanting to spend as little time at the airport as possible. I usually tip just to be a nice person since many of these people are working multiple jobs and are making minimum wage.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Nah, the service is usually good in the LAX lounge because youíre usually the only one In there. Most people flying AA F out of LAX clearly donít get there early for the lounge they are business people wanting to spend as little time at the airport as possible. I usually tip just to be a nice person since many of these people are working multiple jobs and are making minimum wage.
Youíre obviously not referring to the evenings when itís crammed full of Aussies flying to Australia. Qantas donít pay the staff minimum wage, they cover the lack of tips due to the cultural differences with Aussies.
og likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by justinbrett
Youíre obviously not referring to the evenings when itís crammed full of Aussies flying to Australia. Qantas donít pay the staff minimum wage, they cover the lack of tips due to the cultural differences with Aussies.
1. I was actually referring to the FFD, not the QF lounge. Itís one of the reasons FFD is so much better in my opinion because itís so quiet and very personal. FFD gets rid of all these night time departures on OW airlines whose passengers all go to the QF lounge.

2. Even if itís not minimum wage, it canít be more than $15 an hour. You cannot support a family on that in Los Angeles. I spoke with one of the servers at length once on a long CX layover. He worked two jobs with 2 kids and told me nobody at the their LAX lounge gets any Swissotel training, and most donít even have a restaurant background. He said because nobody wants to work in the lounge if they have restaurant experience. He went on to say employees get there expecting big tips because of the luxury, but are sadly disappointed to learn thatís not the case. So he actually said itís quite a tough job, with not a lot of high caliber people wanting to take it. This was about two years ago so take it FWIW
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
1. I was actually referring to the FFD, not the QF lounge. Itís one of the reasons FFD is so much better in my opinion because itís so quiet and very personal. FFD gets rid of all these night time departures on OW airlines whose passengers all go to the QF lounge.

2. Even if itís not minimum wage, it canít be more than $15 an hour. You cannot support a family on that in Los Angeles. I spoke with one of the servers at length once on a long CX layover. He worked two jobs with 2 kids and told me nobody at the their LAX lounge gets any Swissotel training, and most donít even have a restaurant background. He said because nobody wants to work in the lounge if they have restaurant experience. He went on to say employees get there expecting big tips because of the luxury, but are sadly disappointed to learn thatís not the case. So he actually said itís quite a tough job, with not a lot of high caliber people wanting to take it. This was about two years ago so take it FWIW
Iím torn on the issue. As an Australian I almost never tip in Australia, apart from rounding up to the nearest $5. No Australian worker will get upset at another Australian not tipping as itís just not in our culture (and we pay the prices to cover it). But Iím a regular visitor to the US and Iím a pretty generous tipper, and have no problems doing so (I find the prices there a lot cheaper so itís basically part of the price that you pay separately).

I have no problems tipping in Admirals Clubs. But as a Qantas passenger in a Qantas lounge, where Iím there either as a platinum FF (earnt mostly on Australian tickets), or flying in a premium class on an Australian ticket, Qantas - an Australian company - has the obligation to provide me a complimentary lounge. If it can manage to pay the staff in the Sydney lounge a decent wage for the occupation (google suggests A$25 or US$18), then they should be doing the same in LAX. It should not be up to me to subsidise their wages.

i completely understand the point of view from an American who tips universally that we should all be tipping as itís an American lounge employing American citizens- but I donít think itís that simple. From what Iíve read previously, Qantas confirmed tipping is neither expected or encouraged at any of their lounges.
og and SirToby like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:08 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Years ago QF had a "no tipping" sign in their old TBIT lounges (pre-Oneworld lounge rebuild).
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Sodexo provides service staff for Virgin and United lounges. Their vacancies specifically state that the positions are non-tipped: https://sodexousa.jobs/south-san-fra...3A2E2A08E/job/
og likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:59 pm

Iím torn on the issue. As an Australian I almost never tip in Australia, apart from rounding up to the nearest $5. No Australian worker will get upset at another Australian not tipping as itís just not in our culture (and we pay the prices to cover it). But Iím a regular visitor to the US and Iím a pretty generous tipper, and have no problems doing so (I find the prices there a lot cheaper so itís basically part of the price that you pay separately).

I have no problems tipping in Admirals Clubs. But as a Qantas passenger in a Qantas lounge, where Iím there either as a platinum FF (earnt mostly on Australian tickets), or flying in a premium class on an Australian ticket, Qantas - an Australian company - has the obligation to provide me a complimentary lounge. If it can manage to pay the staff in the Sydney lounge a decent wage for the occupation (google suggests A$25 or US$18), then they should be doing the same in LAX. It should not be up to me to subsidise their wages.

i completely understand the point of view from an American who tips universally that we should all be tipping as itís an American lounge employing American citizens- but I donít think itís that simple. From what Iíve read previously, Qantas confirmed tipping is neither expected or encouraged at any of their lounges.
And when Iím in Australia I donít tip because of the customs and ways youíve set up your service industry to ensure those people are economically taken care of.

itís just the different way ďcapitalismĒ works in our perspective countries, to be frank. But I can tell you US lounge attendants (especially expensive places like in NYC or LAX) are not living the high life and serving you because this is their dream job...
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:10 pm

I completely understand the point of view from an American who tips universally that we should all be tipping as itís an American lounge employing American citizens- but I donít think itís that simple. From what Iíve read previously, Qantas confirmed tipping is neither expected or encouraged at any of their lounges.
Like all Americans, I'm pretty well versed and schooled in this tipping culture of ours. In your case, in my estimation, you should not nor should you feel an obligation to tip when in QF lounges Stateside. Just as I never tip when I'm in Australia, with the only exception being when staying in an American hotel, such as the Park Hyatt. While I understand tipping isn't a part of Australian culture, it's my courtesy, as an American, to whose working in an American branded establishment.

I suspect many of my fellow Americans would disagree, but it's just how I've always done it during my expat days.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:48 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Can we not have yet another thread descent over tipping? Calling for mod review.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:47 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Can we not have yet another thread descent over tipping? Calling for mod review.
[mod hat] I agree. Please refrain from yet another tipping discussion in this thread, this topic has been discuss numerous times in different threads. [/mod hat]
Old Jan 4, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
[mod hat] I agree. Please refrain from yet another tipping discussion in this thread, this topic has been discuss numerous times in different threads. [/mod hat]
Indeed:
Originally Posted by serfty
Can we please take the topic re tipping in this lounge to its very own thread:

LAX TBIT Qantas F lounge tipping?
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:24 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] I will not move posts from this thread into the tipping thread but any new posts should go there. [/mod hat\

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.