Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas offers New Zealanders a Gold status match

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas offers New Zealanders a Gold status match

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:37 am

I don't have a physical gold card for UA. I wonder if a screenshot of my account page will suffice. Has anyone done this successfully?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Originally Posted by TheInvisibleHand
I struggle to think of the attraction QF has over NZ when flying tran-tasman... and I say this as a QF WP who is only PS with VA. So I question whether the status match will change flying behaviour?
I fly this route pretty regularly, and ~50% of the time I fly with Air NZ. The 737 is an average plane (although I do tend to score row 4 a lot as a WP which is excellent), but traveling in Y on EK's A380 is worse in my opinion. The A380 J is a good hard product, but not any/significantly better than Air NZ 777 and I far prefer the 777 Y over both the QF and EK offerings.
I guess it could be a different story on other routes though...
I have applied too and been accepted, but i agree with your comments. The Premium Economy cabin on the NZ 77W/77E/789 is hard to beat on an economy fare Trans Tasman. The EK A380 would be my next preferred option, but i rather take morning NZ - Australia flights rather than evening (personal preference). I will certainly take a few flights with them and EK & other OW carriers though, but i highly doubt ill be able to retain gold.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by TheInvisibleHand
I struggle to think of the attraction QF has over NZ when flying tran-tasman... and I say this as a QF WP who is only PS with VA. So I question whether the status match will change flying behaviour?
I fly this route pretty regularly, and ~50% of the time I fly with Air NZ. The 737 is an average plane (although I do tend to score row 4 a lot as a WP which is excellent), but traveling in Y on EK's A380 is worse in my opinion. The A380 J is a good hard product, but not any/significantly better than Air NZ 777 and I far prefer the 777 Y over both the QF and EK offerings.
I guess it could be a different story on other routes though...
Well for m my perspective of a WP living in WLG QF is the much better option.
No Business Class on NZ A320, better recognition by the QF crew (this could be because I know quite a few of them from my years of travelling with them), the SYD First Lounge is so much more superior than NZ lounge in SYD. I can get row 4, often with the middle seat empty, travelling in WHY, Space+ seats seem too few in number on the A320. In WLG both lounges are pretty much the same.
Now when i lose my WP status after May that could change my opinion altogether.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:23 pm

Yeah agreed the Jetconnect crew are great imo and always friendly. I've deliberately gone out of my way via Sydney on Asian and USA trips to build status with QF and I'm happy I've done so. Wish they would bring back the SYD-AKL-LAX flights!

Just out of interest, has NZ ever done this kind of thing to pull in Kiwi residents who are Qantas golds? Or any other airline?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Kamadan
good clear photo or scan of a competing "Gold level" FF programme card with your name that matches your QF FF details on it ...
But the thing that I found curious was that the page does not (as far as I can see) say that the other FF status must be "Gold level".

The words used are "gold or higher status with any airline", "upload an image of the current gold membership card for another airline's frequent flyer program" and (in the T&C) "the Gold status level (or above) ... that they have in another airline’s frequent flyer program".

So: Would AA Gold work?

And if it would, how do we know what QF would make of BA Silver?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But the thing that I found curious was that the page does not (as far as I can see) say that the other FF status must be "Gold level".

The words used are "gold or higher status with any airline", "upload an image of the current gold membership card for another airline's frequent flyer program" and (in the T&C) "the Gold status level (or above) ... that they have in another airline’s frequent flyer program".

So: Would AA Gold work?

And if it would, how do we know what QF would make of BA Silver?

Well, you can always try and let us know if it works.

That is of course, providing you have valid NZ contact details to register QFF with (as that will be where they send out the Gold membership packs to).
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Yes, back in 2003 I think. The promo was to cut your QF card up, send it in and NZ would match it status for status (or if you were NB, they'd waive the joining fee).
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by ANZ787900
Yes, back in 2003 I think. The promo was to cut your QF card up, send it in and NZ would match it status for status (or if you were NB, they'd waive the joining fee).
I took advantage of that and got my first year of GE for free, as a result of QF pulling out of NZ domestic operations in favour of JQ. After the second year I realised the NZ programme is rubbish and have slid down Jade.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It was actually 2009 when the 'sliceit' match was done.

I took it for Elite and maintained that level BIS for 4 years until last year, appreciating the confirmed upgrades at 355 days.

In 2012 Air NZ destroyed the Airpoints program for non NZ residents and did much the same for NZ residents last year.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...tch-airnz.html

Last edited by serfty; Feb 23, 2015 at 11:10 pm
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by serfty
It was actually 2009 when the 'sliceit' match was done.

I took it for Elite and maintained that level BIS for 4 years until last year, appreciating the confirmed upgrades at 355 days.

In 2012 Air NZ destroyed the Airpoints program for non NZ residents and did much the same for NZ residents last year.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...tch-airnz.html
Right, thanks. Can't believe I've only been an Air NZ airpoints member for 6 years
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Kamadan
Well, you can always try and let us know if it works.
I'd love to, but sadly my gold card is from BA and therefore wouldn't be a very good test of this.

I do always wonder about the people who design these promotions and whether they do any research about the other FF schemes from which they're trying to attract people.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
Has anyone's status been updated on Qantas's website? My status is still showing as bronze, but I received the approval email for gold yesterday.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Anyone have an address in NZ they would let me use :P?

If you used a fake address or an address of some public building, then you would not get the card, but would still get the status right?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:35 pm

how long did it take to receive confirmation of the status match? i submitted the application over 24h ago
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
It took me 18 hours to receive approval to gold status. However, Qantas.com still does not reflect this status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.