Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas ticket - Alaska Airlines for the first two legs - do I pay baggage fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas ticket - Alaska Airlines for the first two legs - do I pay baggage fees?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Question Qantas ticket - Alaska Airlines for the first two legs - do I pay baggage fees?

I am flying from Fairbanks, Alaska to Sydney, Australia and have purchased the one ticket from Qantas. The first two legs (Fairbanks - Seattle; Seattle - Los Angeles) is on Alaska Airlines and the last leg (Los Angeles - Sydney) is on Qantas.

My problem is that I can't figure out if I will be liable for baggage charges when I check in in Fairbanks. My travel agent said I get two cases complimentary, but the Alaska Airlines website says $25 per bag.

I'm trying to decide whether I can check my normal 'carry on' bag and just keep my little backpack because I have a 5 hour layover at LAX and don't want to be hampered.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
My understanding of Alaska policy is that in situations like this they will defer to the MSC, and allow the Qantas allowance on all flights.

If you have your e-ticket receipt, the baggage allowance should be on that.

Last edited by perthite; Feb 16, 2015 at 5:27 pm
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: QF WP, NZ G
My experience SEA-LAX-MEL using Alaska for SEA-LAX was no baggage charge. These were separate tickets, business for LAX-MEL, but economy for SEA-LAX. Bag checked all the way through to MEL, so need to do anything in LAX except change terminals and have a shower and feed in the QF lounge. No lounge access in SEA though.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: QFF SG; VA WP; Accor Platinum; IHG Silver; HH Gold
My experience has been in reverse but it should still follow the same rules, flew SYD-xLAX-SEA all on the one ticket with SYD-LAX on QF and LAX-SEA on AS. Bags were checked all the way through to SEA and no fees were paid. As mentioned previously MSC applies and that will mean QF's baggage allowance will apply.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:26 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
AS used to be very good in providing benefits for QF pax including lounge access when QF entitled. They will not charge you for baggage, even at Fairbanks If they do, quote the "Most Significant Carrier" rule even if you aren't on a single ticket (though it sounds like you are).
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by number_6
AS used to be very good in providing benefits for QF pax including lounge access when QF entitled. They will not charge you for baggage, even at Fairbanks If they do, quote the "Most Significant Carrier" rule even if you aren't on a single ticket (though it sounds like you are).
I thought that US DOT rules required the baggage rules of the first marketing carrier to apply for journeys originating in the US, and that the MSC rule doesn't apply?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by deeruck
Originally Posted by number_6
I thought that US DOT rules required the baggage rules of the first marketing carrier to apply for journeys originating in the US, and that the MSC rule doesn't apply?
My understanding is that the DOT rules were that the first marketing carrier chooses whether to apply its allowance or that of the MSC. Alaska, I believe chooses the MSC.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I'm going to take it that Alaska Airlines will honour my Qantas booking and let me check two bags free of charge - now I just have to figure out what to do with 5 hours in LAX and no lounge access!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by mmelashie
Thank you all for your responses. I'm going to take it that Alaska Airlines will honour my Qantas booking and let me check two bags free of charge - now I just have to figure out what to do with 5 hours in LAX and no lounge access!
you could purchase an AAmirals Club day pass for USD50. Alternatively, head to In-N-Out Burger
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: QF, HH
Incidentally, I have a similar flight on AS (HNL–SEA–ANC) but booked with QFF points and without a single flight on QF metal. I have failed to log on to the Alaskan Airlines website with both the E-ticket number and the QF booking confirmation number. According to QF, I am liable for baggage fees at the airport. However, will these be more than $25 per bag?

I am used to flying the likes of JQ and other airlines within Australia or the EU which charge additional (astronomical) fees for checking in bags at the airport rather than online prior to checking-in for the flight.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:02 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Catweazle
Incidentally, I have a similar flight on AS (HNL–SEA–ANC) but booked with QFF points and without a single flight on QF metal. I have failed to log on to the Alaskan Airlines website with both the E-ticket number and the QF booking confirmation number. According to QF, I am liable for baggage fees at the airport. However, will these be more than $25 per bag?

I am used to flying the likes of JQ and other airlines within Australia or the EU which charge additional (astronomical) fees for checking in bags at the airport rather than online prior to checking-in for the flight.
I would expect to pay $25 per bag at the airport (unless in AS F) but also having your QF docs saying “free bag” and putting it to the check in person with a smile.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: QF, HH
Originally Posted by og

I would expect to pay $25 per bag at the airport (unless in AS F) but also having your QF docs saying “free bag” and putting it to the check in person with a smile.
Where did you read that? Or you mean to say, since this was booked via QF then perhaps, with a smile, suggesting that similar QF allowance applies?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AS charges , according to its website, $25 each for the 1st 2 pieces of baggage

That is what you can expect to be charged

Since this is a journey to/from the USA, then the itinerary or eticket receipt should state the baggage allowance and the cost for additional pieces
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:37 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Catweazle
Where did you read that? Or you mean to say, since this was booked via QF then perhaps, with a smile, suggesting that similar QF allowance applies?
My inference is that an agent may make an exception through ignorance. But as I said, I’d have my cc ready to pay the $25/bag. I am not aware of any way around this unless flying in F or with very high AS status. I don’t think the $25 is discounted by paying in advance.
Catweazle likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by og

My inference is that an agent may make an exception through ignorance. But as I said, I’d have my cc ready to pay the $25/bag. I am not aware of any way around this unless flying in F or with very high AS status. I don’t think the $25 is discounted by paying in advance.
OP - US law requires that your e-ticket receipt show the cost of checking a first and a second bag. What does your e-ticket receipt show? That is what the check-in agent will see on screen when you check in. No need to shove papers at the agent or smile.
Catweazle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.