Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No shoes, no shirt, no service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Platy
...unless, of course, one or more QF Club customers suddenly vented their frothy feedback and demanded the expulsion of the high-paying thong-wearing customer from the lounge?!

...a few days ago I flew HNL-BNE and my travelling companion had on...shock,horror...leggings for comfort; I was conscious of a recent case of an airline refusing boarding to a lady with leggings and thought thank goodness we have spare pair of shorts at hand just in case. somebody went stupid about dress rule...
iirc, the airline refusing boarding , refused boarding to someone travelling on staff travel , where there is a dress code rather than a regular fare paying passenger
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
iirc, the airline refusing boarding , refused boarding to someone travelling on staff travel , where there is a dress code rather than a regular fare paying passenger
yep that's my recollection...
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:25 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[/mod hat] Please, stay on topic. And keep it relevant to Qantas. [/mod hat]
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Cool down guys... You're quickly getting into the question of what was first - chicken or egg?
"speaking" of "chicken and egg", that's what this thread has deteriorated to.

There are so many points, facets, opinions and observations repeated and repeated more than one throughout it's now 229 posts that it is becoming boring.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I have trouble seeing how it can still not be comprehended - regardless of whether agreed with
Why does the form of dress designate correctness?
We have had one recent post attempting to answer this question, but it introduced extraneous issues like odor and body-part-exposure in an attempt to categorically connect these unpleasantries to a particular dress.
What is it about the dress?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I also think females dressing trampy is just as bad as men in their Bintang singlets and shorts.
In context of this thread...why?
Is the airline lounge a fashion police?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by LukeO9
In context of this thread...why?
Is the airline lounge a fashion police?

I think it boils down to the following:

-Do you want a lounge to maintain some standards of cleanliness, hygiene and also comfort for all passengers.

-The minority who turn up in shorts, "bintang" type singlets and flip flops are paying customers BUT, maybe, in their culture, and this is important, they are used to dressing that way day to day outside of work. It's their culture, their habit and their character, be it right or wrong when walking into a lounge or on to a business class section on a flight.

-The average business class traveller dresses with some sensible standards: either jeans, slacks or bermuda shorts in khaki, a polo/collared shirt or round neck tee, slip on docker type shoes or laced sports shoes or in some cases, comfortable flip flops for the long journey ahead because they are seasoned traveller's.

So, would it be fair to draw the line on this as far as "bintang type singlets"and beach wear vs normal, everyday dress as a comparison when it comes to some basic rules for everyone to adhere to when wanting to access the lounge?

Most countries, irrespective if it was the UK, Germany, France, Singapore, Malaysia or Brunei require all passengers to dress appropriately with some simple standards without going over the top and demanding leather shoes/corporate type wear.

Should it not be the customer's responsibility to adhere to these simple rules and to respect the rules irrespective if he or she has purchased a business class ticket?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I really would prefer it if QF removed from their lounges:

1) Noisy 'call for flights'. Just put up lots of FIDS, scrap announcements and give us a quieter environment

2) 1) may even help to reduce the volume of annoying loud mobile phone talkers

3) Ban talking on a device on speakers completely, with punishment being confiscation of devices until they leave the lounge

4) Volume control zapping seat. The seat gives you a zap on the backside when you exceed a certain number of dBs

Much more useful for creating a better environment than 'dress code'!

Dress codes can be advantageous (I don't particularly want to see bits hanging out unless it's a really nice sight ) but my preference is for 1)-4) above if I had to choose between a dress code and 1)-4) - by a mile!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I really would prefer it if QF removed from their lounges:

1) Noisy 'call for flights'. Just put up lots of FIDS, scrap announcements and give us a quieter environment

2) 1) may even help to reduce the volume of annoying loud mobile phone talkers

3) Ban talking on a device on speakers completely, with punishment being confiscation of devices until they leave the lounge

4) Volume control zapping seat. The seat gives you a zap on the backside when you exceed a certain number of dBs

Much more useful for creating a better environment than 'dress code'!

Dress codes can be advantageous (I don't particularly want to see bits hanging out unless it's a really nice sight ) but my preference is for 1)-4) above if I had to choose between a dress code and 1)-4) - by a mile!
None of this is unique to Qantas.

Last night in the lounge in BNE I witnessed a staff member addressing point 2. I didn't make the complaint but I was grateful that the particular loud expat (they're very often the worst) was convinced to behave.

Personally I'd appreciate a ban on perfumes in the lounge - what on earth is it that makes some people think that smelling that they've spent an hour rolling around in an Avon factory is a good idea?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
None of this is unique to Qantas.

Last night in the lounge in BNE I witnessed a staff member addressing point 2. I didn't make the complaint but I was grateful that the particular loud expat (they're very often the worst) was convinced to behave.

Personally I'd appreciate a ban on perfumes in the lounge - what on earth is it that makes some people think that smelling that they've spent an hour rolling around in an Avon factory is a good idea?
Sorry, a bit naive here. What's an expat?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by wolf72
Sorry, a bit naive here. What's an expat?
Expatriate, someone who leaves their country of birth and heads off to make a life in another country. They often become a bit superior when they return "home", affecting the accent of their adopted country.

To my shame, my fellow Australians are often the worst offenders, it's not unknown for an Aussie to head off to Bali for two weeks and return with a West Coast US accent.

The smugly repulsive Kathy Lette is a perfect example.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Expatriate, someone who leaves their country of birth and heads off to make a life in another country. They often become a bit superior when they return "home", affecting the accent of their adopted country.

To my shame, my fellow Australians are often the worst offenders, it's not unknown for an Aussie to head off to Bali for two weeks and return with a West Coast US accent.

The smugly repulsive Kathy Lette is a perfect example.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I now understand what you meant.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
[QUOTE=Platy;28149613]...unless, of course, one or more QF Club customers suddenly vented their frothy feedback and demanded the expulsion of the high-paying thong-wearing customer from the lounge?!

...a few days ago I flew HNL-BNE and my travelling companion had on...shock,horror...leggings for comfort; I was conscious of a recent case of an airline refusing boarding to a lady with leggings and thought thank goodness we have spare pair of shorts at hand just in case. somebody went stupid about dress rule...[/QUOTET

The lady in leggings was on a staff pass and with that pass they had dress regulations. Leggings were not acceptable for staff. The airline said leggings are acceptable for other travellers.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:22 pm

[QUOTE=Annalisa12;28153387]
Originally Posted by Platy

The lady in leggings was on a staff pass and with that pass they had dress regulations. Leggings were not acceptable for staff. The airline said leggings are acceptable for other travellers.

Yep.

But the point is...where do you draw the line?

QF has put itself in the absurd position that someone could be dressed OK to sit in a business or first class cabin (or economy for that matter), but for reasons not disclosed (but "blamed" on the wishes of an unknown proportion of passengers providing feedback, if you, like some herein, believe any of the nonsense that QF spouts publicly), that isn't OK in the lounge.

If it is true, that some passengers are so offended by certain dress items that they should be excluded from the lounge, why aren't they also refused boarding? Surely the same sense of self entitled offence by the complaining passengers would also apply on board?

In fact surely worse in the cabin, since in the lounge you can choose to sit well away from someone whose dress sense offends you, but you have less choice on board!

IF you are going to ban certain clothing items, then QF should be transparent and make this very clear at the time of purchase of a business or first class ticket. OK, you can wear thongs and a singlet on board, but not during your lounge visit.

(Oh and as far as staff travel is concerned, QF should require all travelling staff to be in uniform.

Then us paying passengers can see who they are, and how many there are in the cabin, and thus see to what extent those of us who are faced with paying over inflated premium class airfares are subsidising the airline's choice to ferry their employees in premium cabins (unlike VA) and see whether they snare the best seats when we get moved around by the lounge dragon at the last minute...).l

...if you are dressed fit to travel on the aircraft you should be fit to enter the lounge. Period. It's not a hard concept. The pages of nonsense eon this thread proves the point - QF, has once again, lost the plot with its dress policy...

...there are so many other aspects of the lounge experience likely to "offend" or "displease": personally I can't stand the drivel that spouts from the SkyNews screens...oh, do you think QF would remove SkyNews from the lounge if I and others wrote to say that I find their right wing biased "news" coverage offensive to my sense of democratic values?!

Last edited by Platy; Apr 10, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72
-Do you want a lounge to maintain some standards of cleanliness, hygiene and also comfort for all passengers.
None of these focus on 'dress' per se.
Neither does the rest of the post, which includes problematic words like 'sensible standards' and 'normal'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.