Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No shoes, no shirt, no service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
For an adult, a onesie should never be worn, period.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Let me check with Outraged Pork Sausage Lover of Buffalo Poo Indiana and I'll get back to you and let you know what effect the interdiction of wearing thongs in the Qantas Club has had on her purchase of airline tickets
I have clearly missed something amusing and would love to be pointed in the right direction of it!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by seat_4D
I have clearly missed something amusing and would love to be pointed in the right direction of it!
I was referring to event in 2013 when Qantas stopped serving bacon and other pork products on its flights out of Dubai.

Rupert Murdoch caught wind of it and instructed his loyal readers to become outraged. They swamped the Qantas Facebook page and sharpened their pitchforks on other media as well, and the Daily Mail comments was a true classic. I hope it's still there.

Many of these people would never fly Qantas, and a good number of the foreigners (eg Americans) would never fly the routes involved, eg to Heathrow via Sydney and Dubai on QF1. The outrage was thinly veiled Islamophobia. If you can't last more than 12 hours on a place without jamming a pork chop down your gob there's really something wrong with you. There was also a lot of misinformation, eg alcohol was "banned" on these flights.

Here are two FT threads on the scandal :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...move-pork.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...-emirates.html

When the current topic came up, I found myself wondering how many of the outraged commentators demanding their right to some pig fat on Qantas are still outraged. Probably none.

Disclaimer: I love bacon but wouldn't order it on a plane, they just can't cook it properly on an aircraft
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I was referring to event in 2013 when Qantas stopped serving bacon and other pork products on its flights out of Dubai.

Rupert Murdoch caught wind of it and instructed his loyal readers to become outraged. They swamped the Qantas Facebook page and sharpened their pitchforks on other media as well, and the Daily Mail comments was a true classic. I hope it's still there.

Many of these people would never fly Qantas, and a good number of the foreigners (eg Americans) would never fly the routes involved, eg to Heathrow via Sydney and Dubai on QF1. The outrage was thinly veiled Islamophobia. If you can't last more than 12 hours on a place without jamming a pork chop down your gob there's really something wrong with you. There was also a lot of misinformation, eg alcohol was "banned" on these flights.

Here are two FT threads on the scandal :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...move-pork.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...-emirates.html

When the current topic came up, I found myself wondering how many of the outraged commentators demanding their right to some pig fat on Qantas are still outraged. Probably none.

Disclaimer: I love bacon but wouldn't order it on a plane, they just can't cook it properly on an aircraft

How are you insult pork eaters around the world with such comments!?!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:37 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Poor old Kate Ceberano - booted out (well, didn't even get past the door) of the QP for showing her toes. Worse still is that we were "reached out to..." warning us of this earlier this year (not the warning, but that someone reached out to us ...).

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/cele...05-gk1jbq.html
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
From the above link: "There is a strict dress code in place at all of the airline's metropolitan domestic lounges. Thongs, gym wear, boardshorts, Ugg boots, revealing, unclean and torn clothing are not permitted."

Ugg boots are banned in the Qantas lounges? Sounds like a way to keep out a bunch of chattering pre-teens/teenagers.

What happens if there is a Lenny Kravitz type wardrobe malfunction while in the lounge and the customer ends up with torn clothing? Booted out?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
I have pair of open-toed leather footwear called sandals, but they are in fact structured exactly like thongs. They are very smart and fit well with conservative attire. More importantly, they are very comfortable, especially when its 40C+, which is inevitable in Adelaide summers.
Will I get kicked out?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:30 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LukeO9
I have pair of open-toed leather footwear called sandals, but they are in fact structured exactly like thongs. They are very smart and fit well with conservative attire. More importantly, they are very comfortable, especially when its 40C+, which is inevitable in Adelaide summers.
Will I get kicked out?
Probably not, but only because you may not even make it past the door. But seriously, I'd read the policy and dress accordingly. If the photo of Kate is consistent with her attire when at the door of the QP, then even a thousand dollar pair of leather sandals won't get you in if they show toes.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by og
Probably not, but only because you may not even make it past the door. But seriously, I'd read the policy and dress accordingly. If the photo of Kate is consistent with her attire when at the door of the QP, then even a thousand dollar pair of leather sandals won't get you in if they show toes.
I know people who have got in with sandals on. I think it boils down to if there's a piece of material between the big toe and toe number two. That's a thong, anything else isn't.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I would of called Kate Cebrano's shoes sandals. I wear casual shoes like that with a nice outfit. It's just ridiculous.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by bensyd
I know people who have got in with sandals on. I think it boils down to if there's a piece of material between the big toe and toe number two. That's a thong, anything else isn't.
I had no trouble in the Business Lounge in either Sydney or Melbourne last week wearing a pair of open-toed sandals. Wedge heel, ankle strap, simple leather band across the top of the foot. Not thong-like, in fact quite elegant really, but toes definitely fully visible. I also wonder whether having flat versus heeled shoes makes a difference. Would Kate's sandals have passed muster if they'd had a heel?

To test the arbitrary semantic distinctions still further, in Melbourne I even wore a pair of lightly distressed jeans (with said sandals) without confrontation or the embarrassment of ejection, leading me to question the scope of the "torn" proscription. Discreet intentional designer distressing is ok; slovenly accidental tears are not?

Perhaps it was just my winning smile.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:43 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think QF are trying to make QPs BFZs (bogan-free zones).
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by og
I think QF are trying to make QPs BFZs (bogan-free zones).
Kate Ceberano is a bogan? Guess I'm more out of touch with Australian music than I knew.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:55 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Kate Ceberano is a bogan? Guess I'm more out of touch with Australian music than I knew.
Seems someone in QF was tasked with writing admission rules and failed to think how this could go pear shaped. I assume someone further up the food chain also failed to reach out and think/check it through properly. It's easy to say who you don't want to grant QP admission, but the skill is where to draw the line - and communicate this to the front line people.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:49 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I was in the SYD T3 J Lounge on Sunday when it was 38 degrees. I have never travelled in shorts but as soon as I entered I noticed young women wearing very short shorts and flip flops, men in cargos and flip flops and I realised that had chosen not to enforce the dress code clearly posted at the escalators.

For the record: I don't care what people wear as long as it's not offensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.