Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas launches 'Bid Now Upgrade' auction for J upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas launches 'Bid Now Upgrade' auction for J upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
think this will be a white elephant...
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:13 pm

Does anyone know if bookings on Sale fares will also get these email invitations to upgrade? Or is it like classic upgrades, if you booked the sale classes you cannot upgrade at all using points...
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
More likely the upgrade invites, like on UA, will only go to Kettles on normal "red e deal" fares so as to prevent perceived dilution of revenue from the frequent flyers.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by harryhv
More likely the upgrade invites, like on UA, will only go to Kettles on normal "red e deal" fares so as to prevent perceived dilution of revenue from the frequent flyers.
Is there a need to insult those that don't collect status - it's bad enough seeing the demeaning name being used on the AA fora

It seems like a good idea on the airline's part - something that's been around on VA for a while in a slightly different format with its "UpgradeMe Premium Bid" option. given that it is still going , suggests that it may be working nicely
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:40 pm

Apologies if the answer is staring me in the face somewhere, but can anyone confirm if its possible to use points ONLY and not contribute any cash? Or is cash always required?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), QF Gold, EY Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Is there a need to insult those that don't collect status - it's bad enough seeing the demeaning name being used on the AA fora
Agreed, and moreover I cringe whenever someone uses it in a serious manner.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Shamrock55
Apologies if the answer is staring me in the face somewhere, but can anyone confirm if its possible to use points ONLY and not contribute any cash? Or is cash always required?
See the first post in the thread:
Originally Posted by djsflynn
  • Each bid also needs a cash component, min and max varies but can range from a few hundred dollars to over $1000
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:24 am

Wonder will my boss "pre-approve" blowing a certain amount of company coin on these last minute upgrades.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTS), VA nothing, DL Skymiles
I just received an invitation to bid on a J upgrade (from Red eDeal) ticket BNE/SYD domestic sector. Has anyone been successful with upgrade bids of relatively small point/dollar combinations? Am thinking of 3,000 points + A$95 bid which is the minimum the system will allow me to bid - Is that too low for serious consideration?

What has been other flyertalkers' experience with QF J class bidding?

Last edited by Gary; Jun 19, 2015 at 10:26 pm
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
OW Emerald offered cash upgrade bid on QF flights

QF has extended the upgrade offers to some of us who have no elite status with QF.

I am AA EXP (OW-Emerald) and last month I was traveling HKK-MEL on a Sale economy ticket. A day ahead, I got an email from QF with an opportunity to make cash bids to J on outbound and return flights. I gave unsuccessful low-ball bids of $300 per leg. If my memory is correct, the maximum bid was over $1,000.

I seems to me likely these sales would lower chances of QF elites getting upgrades.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
I seems to me likely these sales would lower chances of QF elites getting upgrades.
QF does not give out free upgrades like USA based airlines.
If you have an eligible fare you can request an upgrade with QF points. You do not find out if you have won the QF upgrade lottery until a short time before the flight. QF will fly with empty business or first seat after denying upgrade with QF points.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:16 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I am AA EXP (OW-Emerald) and last month I was traveling HKK-MEL on a Sale economy ticket.
No such QF flight Hokitika - Melbourne.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:04 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
QF has extended the upgrade offers to some of us who have no elite status with QF.

I am AA EXP (OW-Emerald) and last month I was traveling HKK-MEL on a Sale economy ticket. A day ahead, I got an email from QF with an opportunity to make cash bids to J on outbound and return flights. I gave unsuccessful low-ball bids of $300 per leg. If my memory is correct, the maximum bid was over $1,000.

I wasn't aware that Qantas operated services between Hokitika (HKK) and Melbourne (MEL).

Dave
Old Jun 27, 2015, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I guess you meant HKG... in any case this type of thing certainly does reduce the chances of passenger getting upgraded using points.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTS), VA nothing, DL Skymiles
My low-ball 3,000 pt + A$95 bid was rejected by QF.

I did note J class was full for this sector, so I presume QF must have accepted higher bids or granted full points last minute upgrades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.