Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Using SYD domestic lounge as arrival lounge possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer

I arrive from an international flight at SYD in the morning and I plan to take my onward flight in the afternoon. I know that domestic flights are located in another terminal, but is it possible to go airside, have a quick shower/breakfast, go landside again and returning later on the same day?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not possible airside, as no airside international to domestic transfer is possible, or access to international departure lounge. You must go through Aust immigration, customs & quarantine. Once landside it may or may not be possible to go the domestic terminal, several km away. What class are you travelling and what status? Is this all on 1 ticket/pnr?
Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...nge-acess.html

Edit:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...er-thread.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 28, 2015 at 2:42 am
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:44 am
Original Poster

2 tickets, Y, but OW Emerald.

But, is it possible to go landside again once you are airside in the domestic terminal?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:02 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The domestic terminal allows free passage between airside and landside -- you don't need a ticket/bp to go airside, unlike some countries, and you can exit landside freely. Security check going airside but liquids are not restricted for domestic flights. So using QF J lounge in the domestic terminal is entirely possible with OWE access. The J lounge has a pretty nice brekky along with the showers.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

Yes - it's no problem to go airside in the domestic terminal, exit and then go back in. Boarding passes and ID are not checked at the security screening. If you have a BP for the onward flight you shouldn't have any issues with lounge access either.

Edit: I assume your domestic flight is a QF flight departing from terminal 3
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Perfect - thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:39 am

Land in SYD, clear immigration/quarantine/customs, then turn right and proceed to the QF domestic transfer where you can check through your bags (if any), clear security there, take the transfer bus to domestic terminal. Access the lounge, then simply walk out of the terminal. Upon returning in the afternoon you'll need to clear security at the domestic terminal.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:41 pm
pdb

Permit me to piggyback off of the original post with a related question, in order to avoid creating a new thread.

I will be arriving SYD via SIN on BA in F, very early in the morning. I will be connecting to EY F; however, the EY flight departs at 21:45 and apparently their lounge is only open 3 hours prior to departure. (With a daily 14:50 departure and a 21:45 departure, I'm guessing that they close the lounge from about 14:00 to 18:45.)

Even though I am and Admiral's Club member and OWE, my ongoing flight is not OW, so I'm guessing that QF will take the attitude "tough cookies" and I'll be stranded for quite a few hours in the terminal. I will ask EY if they would kindly request a lounge pass from QF, given the circumstances; however, I do not expect that to happen.

The thought had occurred to me to burn 4,500 Avios points on a SYD-MEL award in order to have an ongoing QF BP; however, I see no SYD-MEL flights departing from the International Terminal. (There used to be a few domestic flights which departed from SYD's International Terminal...I guess that is history.) In any event, based upon the above posts, it seems like it might be a possibility (as long as I book an award flight SYD-MEL) to use the domestic QF 1st Class or Business Class lounge, until EY opens up its lounge for its evening flight.

Any thoughts/suggestions (especially those that are experience-based) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:42 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Probably worth investing in a visit to the new Plaza Premium Lounge in the Sydney International Terminal.

I believe there is also an AMEX lounge there that may offer you access.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by pdb
Permit me to piggyback off of the original post with a related question, in order to avoid creating a new thread.

I will be arriving SYD via SIN on BA in F, very early in the morning. I will be connecting to EY F; however, the EY flight departs at 21:45 and apparently their lounge is only open 3 hours prior to departure. (With a daily 14:50 departure and a 21:45 departure, I'm guessing that they close the lounge from about 14:00 to 18:45.)

Even though I am and Admiral's Club member and OWE, my ongoing flight is not OW, so I'm guessing that QF will take the attitude "tough cookies" and I'll be stranded for quite a few hours in the terminal. I will ask EY if they would kindly request a lounge pass from QF, given the circumstances; however, I do not expect that to happen.

The thought had occurred to me to burn 4,500 Avios points on a SYD-MEL award in order to have an ongoing QF BP; however, I see no SYD-MEL flights departing from the International Terminal. (There used to be a few domestic flights which departed from SYD's International Terminal...I guess that is history.) In any event, based upon the above posts, it seems like it might be a possibility (as long as I book an award flight SYD-MEL) to use the domestic QF 1st Class or Business Class lounge, until EY opens up its lounge for its evening flight.

Any thoughts/suggestions (especially those that are experience-based) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
You'll not find any EY staff when you land in the early morning, they don't turn to their stations until around 11AM. You're spending almost 15 hours! For that long, get out of the airport, stay at the Rydges across the road - they have a special daytime rate I believe.

There's no domestic F lounge.

Last edited by edy4eva; Jan 30, 2015 at 3:19 am
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:27 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by pdb

You would not be able to access the QF First Lounge without an onward oneworld boarding pass from the international terminal.

Booking a SYD-MEL flight would allow you to access the QF Business (Emerald) lounge and Qantas Club (Sapphire) lounge in the domestic terminal, however you would need to transfer to the domestic terminal and then back from there to the international terminal.

Why not go into Sydney for the day? You can be in Circular Quay in around the same time as you would be in the domestic business lounge..
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:53 am
pdb

Originally Posted by nux
You would not be able to access the QF First Lounge without an onward oneworld boarding pass from the international terminal.

Booking a SYD-MEL flight would allow you to access the QF Business (Emerald) lounge and Qantas Club (Sapphire) lounge in the domestic terminal, however you would need to transfer to the domestic terminal and then back from there to the international terminal.

Why not go into Sydney for the day? You can be in Circular Quay in around the same time as you would be in the domestic business lounge..
Thanks for that info, nux. I would definitely head into SYD for a day at the beach, but unfortunately July is winter down under. With ~12 hours to kill prior to EY's opening of their lounge, it looks like my best (most economical) bet to have a shower, grab a bite and do some work is to book a SYD-MEL flight @ 4,500 soon-to-be-once-again-devalued Avios points + $10.

A couple of final questions:

(1) Once I am out of T1, the Intl Terminal, will I need to pass through any security in T3 to get to the QF Business Lounge?
(2) If I book the SYD-MEL flight for the late afternoon, (a) Will QF generate a BP for me early in the morning? and (b) Will the folks at the QF Business Lounge have a problem with my showing up early in the morning?

Thanks again.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The most economical would seem to be to change from LHR-SYD-AUH to LHR-AUH to be honest ( based on saying that you are travelling on BA to Sydney via Singapore to then fly on Etihad )

If you have an Amex Platinum Card, then there is an AMEX lounge in the international terminal , however , unless the EY flight is on the same itinerary as the BA one, BA will not check your luggage through

If you wish to try using the domestic lounge by purchasing a ticket , then you will also need to put luggage into storage

There is a security check at Terminal 3
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:50 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by pdb
A couple of final questions:

(1) Once I am out of T1, the Intl Terminal, will I need to pass through any security in T3 to get to the QF Business Lounge?
(2) If I book the SYD-MEL flight for the late afternoon, (a) Will QF generate a BP for me early in the morning? and (b) Will the folks at the QF Business Lounge have a problem with my showing up early in the morning?

Thanks again.
1. yes, there is security check to get airside at the domestic terminal, but liquids are allowed (unlike for international) and rare to be delayed at security.
2. No problem getting BP early, and no problem showing up many hours early for the lounge.

Note that there is a flight SYD-MEL leaving international terminal, which is JQ28 (may not be daily). For QF Platinum this allows access to the QF F lounge, not sure if OWE status applies as JQ is not a OW airline rather annoyingly so it may be an QFF specific benefit.

Presumably you have no checked bags, otherwise these will need to be retrieved and clear customs at SYD as BA won't interline to EY on separate tickets.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 1:33 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by number_6
Note that there is a flight SYD-MEL leaving international terminal, which is JQ28 (may not be daily). For QF Platinum this allows access to the QF F lounge, not sure if OWE status applies as JQ is not a OW airline rather annoyingly so it may be an QFF specific benefit.
It is QFF specific.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.