Manila abolishes Fuel surcharges

Old Jan 26, 15, 4:14 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Manila abolishes Fuel surcharges

Hi everyone

The Phillipines Government has just outlawed fuel surcharges on flights to/from the Phillipines.

http://www.philstar.com/business/201...fuel-surcharge

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/...fares-end-week

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/...charge-removal

This includes all foreign carriers.

As I read it this means that someone booking an award trip to Europe could book 2 legs each way eg Syd - Manila and Manila to LHR. The points cost would be a little more but there would be no fuel surcharge.

Thoughts? Could this be a new way to redeem cheap flights to Europe ex Australia?

Could it also mean that someone flying from say San Francisco to Hong Kong r/t could book 4 legs San Francisco to Manila, Manila to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Manila and Manila to San Francisco thus avoiding the fuel surcharges? This would probably apply equally on other airlines that charge fuel surcharges.

cheers Peter
Old Jan 26, 15, 4:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by ffhound View Post
Hi everyone

The Phillipines Government has just outlawed fuel surcharges on flights to/from the Phillipines.

http://www.philstar.com/business/201...fuel-surcharge

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/...fares-end-week

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/...charge-removal

This includes all foreign carriers.

As I read it this means that someone booking an award trip to Europe could book 2 legs each way eg Syd - Manila and Manila to LHR. The points cost would be a little more but there would be no fuel surcharge.

Thoughts? Could this be a new way to redeem cheap flights to Europe ex Australia?

Could it also mean that someone flying from say San Francisco to Hong Kong r/t could book 4 legs San Francisco to Manila, Manila to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Manila and Manila to San Francisco thus avoiding the fuel surcharges? This would probably apply equally on other airlines that charge fuel surcharges.

cheers Peter
They will just do what BA have done and rename it a "Carrier Surcharge" (or something similar).

Dave
Old Jan 26, 15, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thadocta View Post
They will just do what BA have done and rename it a "Carrier Surcharge" (or something similar).
Good luck in obtaining the authority from the CAB to do so. The obvious answer to such a request for an authority: add it to the fare.
Old Jan 26, 15, 1:54 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Based on how PR responded to the ruling by the Philippine CAB, it only applies to tickets originating from or ticketed in the Philippines and does not seem to apply to tickets originating from overseas.

So at least in the case of PR (used as an example because it's transparent how they are handling the legal fine print of the CAB ruling) a SYD-MNL-SYD award ticket still has a fuel surcharge of USD$200 however MNL-SYD-MNL has ZERO fuel surcharge in line with the ruling.

How other airlines will respond is up to them but given that's how PR has responded I would say they are legally sure it is still permissible to charge fuel surcharges on tickets issued overseas.
Old Jan 26, 15, 2:49 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Does that mean then that one could buy 3 tickets as follows for a trip to London ex Mel?

MEL-MNL = surcharge
MNL-LHR-MNL = no surcharge
MNL-MEL = no surcharge

???

That would seems to avoid most of the surcharges.

cheers Peter
Old Jan 26, 15, 4:29 pm

Just checked, MNL-SYD one way redemption in J on QF, taxes come to 1032PHP (about 30AUD). Now that's a first!

MNL-SYD in Y followed by SYD-DXB in F as multi city, don't have enough QFF points to check but should expect no YQ?

Just did MNL-SYD Y// SYD-MEL-DXB in Y, 78k QFF plus 4228PHP (121AUD), versus SYD-DXB standalone 48k plus 284.04AUD.

Also tried MNL-SIN Y // DXB-LHR in F, again taxes just 1185PHP instead of around 1480AED (403USD!!!) for DXB-LHR alone.

So tickets issued ex-MNL drop YQ!
Revenge likes this.

Last edited by edy4eva; Jan 26, 15 at 4:44 pm
Old Feb 20, 15, 3:06 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
fantastic...
though one wonders if there will be differential award ticket points pricing in future...
Old Nov 24, 18, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Velocity Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I'm seeing fuel surcharges on J awards booked via Qantas FF on Emirates metal MNL DXB OSL. (one way)
Qantas on twitter does not seem to think this is unusual or illegal.
Does anyone know how this law can be enforced?
Old Nov 25, 18, 12:19 am
R2

Originally Posted by brooding View Post
I'm seeing fuel surcharges on J awards booked via Qantas FF on Emirates metal MNL DXB OSL. (one way)
Qantas on twitter does not seem to think this is unusual or illegal.
Does anyone know how this law can be enforced?
This thread is from 2015, the regulations keep changing and currently airlines are allowed to charge fuel surcharges in Philippines. Please see the information on PAL website.

https://www.philippineairlines.com/e...lsurchargeintl
Old Nov 26, 18, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by R2 View Post
This thread is from 2015, the regulations keep changing and currently airlines are allowed to charge fuel surcharges in Philippines. Please see the information on PAL website.

https://www.philippineairlines.com/e...lsurchargeintl
Hi R2. My understanding of the new regulations is that the new fuel surcharges need to be approved by the local civil aviation authorities based on data on the petrol price before the airline can add them on. If u see the link the fuel surcharges are very modest.
Old Nov 26, 18, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hi R2. My understanding of the new regulations is that the new fuel surcharges need to be approved by the local civil aviation authorities based on data on the petrol price before the airline can add them on. If u see the link the fuel surcharges are very modest.

Looking at paid one way ticket from MNL-OSL on ITA , there is a carrier surcharge of PHP500.00 ( approx $13.17 ) , so seems that EK is likely doing it legally and that there isn't an errror in quoting surcharge on a QF award - as long as the QF award surcharge is the same amount
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Looking at paid one way ticket from MNL-OSL on ITA , there is a carrier surcharge of PHP500.00 ( approx $13.17 ) , so seems that EK is likely doing it legally and that there isn't an errror in quoting surcharge on a QF award - as long as the QF award surcharge is the same amount
Hi Dave Noble,
On the Qantas website, I am seeing surcharges & taxes of PHP 20700 when I try to book MNL to OSL on Emirates metal (J).
I am ok to pay PHP 500 but 20700 is outrageous.
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:25 pm

Hi Dave Noble,
On the Qantas website, I am seeing surcharges & taxes of PHP 20700 when I try to book MNL to OSL on Emirates metal (J).
I am ok to pay PHP 500 but 20700 is outrageous.
Perhaps book it and take it up with appropriate regulator in Philippines
Old Dec 8, 18, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
the good news is this makes reward tickets cheaper!
Old Dec 8, 18, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by mellon View Post
the good news is this makes reward tickets cheaper!
For those starting in Philippines, indeed it does - anywhere where governments have clamped down on disguising fares as taxes are good redemption spots
Platy likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: