Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to business class Delhi>Melbourne

Old Nov 20, 14, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Hi, I'm planning to fly from Delhi to Melbourne in March, which will have a stop in Singapore.

I have enough Qantas frequent flyer points to upgrade to business - can anyone tell me on average if it's likely that I'll be able to upgrade from economy to business? Or are all the seats usually full? I'm only a bronze member so will be upgraded last. I can either fly on a Saturday or Sunday, which be likely to have more free seats?

I also understand that Qantas is upgrading their A330s so I guess I would be flying on the new version, with the new business class. Is it definite that this would be the plane I'd be on? I really would like to try the new business class.

Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 14, 6:52 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
There is always a chance of an upgrade, but firstly there needs to be unsold seats in business and then you will only be upgraded after P1, WP and SG passengers. If you want to guarantee you'll travel in business, then I would suggest booking it from the outset rather than hoping for an upgrade.
Old Nov 20, 14, 1:16 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) | Hyatt Globalist | HHonors Diamond
Also, you will only be upgraded for the SIN-MEL segment. Qantas does not operate flights between DEL and SIN, instead codesharing with Jet Airways who, best I can recall, fly a 737 between DEL and SIN
Old Nov 20, 14, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Yeah but that means I'd only have to pay for the points on that leg right? And I'd still get access to the lounge at Singapore? I know Jet Airways does have a Premiere class but it doesn't look quite as good so I'd rather just upgrade for the one leg.

I wish buying a business class ticket was within my price range, but unfortunately not right now! I'm a student so I've just been able to stock up on some points with a credit card bonus + family.

I'll have 60,000 points or so which I think will be enough, and it's probably the last time I'll fly solo for a long flight for a long time, so I'm just going to take the opportunity to fly business class while I can.

I'm also flying from Hong Kong to Melbourne on the 17th of January so I could also use the points then for an upgrade, but I'm just not sure if the new business class will be implemented by then - from the Qantas press releases I've seen they've just said January for flights from Asia, so I guess I'll have to wait to see if it'll be on that flight before I request an upgrade.

Also, newbie question - is it possible to upgrade with points from economy to business then business to first? It's not on the table that Qantas provides for point upgrades, so I would assume I can't, but it's worth checking!
Old Nov 21, 14, 12:06 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
You would only be able to apply to upgrade the QF operated sectors.

Also note that some deep discount economy fares cannot be upgraded, you would need to check the fare class you are booking to ensure it is even possible to apply for an upgrade.

You would have access to the QF SIN lounge IF your upgrade was confirmed prior to boarding.

I would suggest keeping your hopes of an upgrade quite low due to the QF upgrade priority system and would not let the slim possibility of an upgrade form part of the decision to fly 9W/QF over other options.

Originally Posted by KittyMelbourne View Post
Also, newbie question - is it possible to upgrade with points from economy to business then business to first? It's not on the table that Qantas provides for point upgrades, so I would assume I can't, but it's worth checking!
No.
Old Nov 21, 14, 4:57 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Even top tier QF FFers can miss out on the upgrades they request. It is a lottery. It's a really good way to start the trip badly if the desired upgrade fails to clear. It just makes you bitter and resentful at a time when you are most likely stressed anyway. You need a good mindset to expect to travel in the class you purchased.
Old Nov 21, 14, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Yeah I'm definitely not expecting it to go through especially as I'm such a new member! I guess I may as well request it for HK>MEL. Maybe I'd just be better off trying to buy the Delhi to Melbourne flight with my points if that's possible.
Old Nov 22, 14, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Yeah I'm definitely not expecting it to go through especially as I'm such a new member! I guess I may as well request it for HK>MEL. Maybe I'd just be better off trying to buy the Delhi to Melbourne flight with my points if that's possible.
Hi Kitty and welcome to FlyerTalk!

As other have said, upgrading for points on Qantas international services is a real lottery. You have to buy a higher priced fare for starters, and there is probably lesschance than more that you will be successful.

With 60K points, that's enough for a one way award from Australia to HKG, BKK or SIN in business class. You can lock that straight away (if there's a seat available). You might want to consider that for one for your next trips, and buy a cheapie one-way fare on another airline to get home.

Don't know how often you fly - but sometimes upgradeable fares cost a couple of hundred dollars more than ones that can't be upgraded. If you were going to do a couple of those trips a year, the extra you pay for a chance to be upgraded might be spent on a Qantas club membership. This won't give you access to an upgrade... but it will give you priority check-in and lounge access for all Qantas flights.

Alternatively, you might also consider purchasing lounge access through American Airlines. They offer a USD99 Admirals Club membership, good for 30 days. This will also give you access to all Qantas Clubs (internationally and in Australia) before a qantas flight.
Old Nov 23, 14, 6:20 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
If you have 92,000 points you could get a business class seat all the way from DEL to MEL via KUL on Malaysian.
Old Nov 23, 14, 6:41 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Hi Kitty

To answer your question about double upgrades - no, to my understanding, QF does not (like most airlines) allow double upgrades with points - though operational upgrades sometimes happen of course. The real issue for you though is that that isn't even an option as QF don't operate a F cabin to HKG these days since they moved the 380 to SYD-DFW. (though there are a couple of 380 services to HKG over the summer, but let's not confuse things ). Basically no, even if you have the points, only a one class upgrade is allowed.

I hope you manage to get to sample J one way or another on your travels if it's the last flight in awhile - though you'll be at the bottom of the totem pole of status pax all trying, so better hope to book on a day with low demand.. though a single travelling alone could, in theory, have a slightly better chance for a seat vs. a couple of a higher status trying for 2 seats. You never know.. as others have said it's a lottery.
Old Nov 24, 14, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help!

Using the points for a partner airline for Delhi to Melbourne is a very interesting idea, I had no idea I could do that.

I'll definitely look into that further.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: