Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF website - can I change my passport details once the trip has commenced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I am a dual citizen (US/Australia).

As such, I must travel TO Australia an Australian passport, but must fly back to America on a U.S. one. I am not eligible to apply for a visa for either country.

Does anyone know whether passport information can be changed via the "Manage Booking" function of the QF website once the trip has commenced?

Some airlines allow this, many don't. And it's the difference between being able to check in online or use kiosks at the airport, bypassing the check in desks.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Joe
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by nyjoe4
Hi all,

I am a dual citizen (US/Australia).

As such, I must travel TO Australia an Australian passport, but must fly back to America on a U.S. one. I am not eligible to apply for a visa for either country.

Does anyone know whether passport information can be changed via the "Manage Booking" function of the QF website once the trip has commenced?

Some airlines allow this, many don't. And it's the difference between being able to check in online or use kiosks at the airport, bypassing the check in desks.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Joe
I don't know whether or not you can change passport details with Qantas on-line (I'm sure you can via the call centre).

However, I'm not so sure you can board a flight from Australia without having your passport checked at a check-in desk, even if that's fast bag drop desk. Others will correct me if I'm wrong - but i don't think it's going to make any difference if you don't manage to change the passport details before the airport.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You definitely can pass through passport control and security without going to s check in desk on some airlines at least ( did it last week with EK ) however the airline will verify the passport details before permitting the passenger to board
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You definitely can pass through passport control and security without going to s check in desk on some airlines at least ( did it last week with EK ) however the airline will verify the passport details before permitting the passenger to board
noted! thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, LHR and Dave. Having the two passports seems to cause airlines confusion; the border control staff never bat an eyelid. The only issue with the two passports is that if the Australian one is in the system, they are unable to check me in for the return as it does not contain a U.S. entry permit, so it causes some drama (online and at the check in desk).

If anyone else has tried to switch their details online mid-trip, I'd love to hear whether it worked...

Joe
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Yes you can do it online. You can even avoid the problem altogether by putting in passport details per sector but that requires a call to Qantas and a competent agent to do it.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you, madrooster - much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.