Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Calculating QF points for a RTW itinerary

Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

Hello and sorry for a slightly painful question.

I have a RTW ticket booked and I'm working out if I should use the Qantas or American Airlines FF program for this trip. I've opened up the Qantas points calculator here https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/do/...alPointsEarned to try to work out the Qantas points for myself, however it doesn't have some of my transit points (e.g. CMB - Colombo or BDA - Bermuda), nor does it have Sri Lankan airlines, even though UL is a One World airline.

Here is my itinerary. It is a One World Explorer DONE6 ticket, i.e. business class, booking class D (which is discounted business according to the Qantas table).

JNB-QF-SYD
SYD-JL-NRT
NRT-UL-CMB
CMB-CX-HKG
HKG-KA-RGN
RGN-KA-HKG
HKG-AA-LAX (operated by CX)
LAX-AA-ORD
ORD-AA-CUN
CUN-AA-JFK
JFK-AA-BDA
BDA-AA-MIA
MIA-AA-SCL
SCL-LA-GIG
GIG-BA-LHR
LHR-BA-EBB

In addition and on separate tickets, we will also be doing in economy:
SYD-MEL-CBR-SYD on Qantas
SCL-IPE-SCL on Lan Chile

Any help figuring out the points and tier points for this much appreciated.... or even just point me to somewhere where I can calculate it for myself.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is now very hard to impossible to calculate the points earned with the new QF "fairer & simpler" ffp You will need to do in a spreadsheet.

As per my response your other question in the OW which ffp thread you would be crazy to send the points to QF. Is far better value in the AA ffp. Have you looked what awards, and cash outlay, you can get from the QF points/AA miles from this trip? But the AA ffp may(will?) change after the US DM ffp merger is completed
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...l#post23843304 and post 330
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As per my response your other question in the OW which ffp thread you would be crazy to send the points to QF. Is far better value in the AA ffp. Have you looked what awards, and cash outlay, you can get from the QF points/AA miles from this trip?
Haha, I set up a spreadsheet, then realised I couldn't fill it in with the info out of the QF calculator.

I'm leaning towards AA, but I'm still considering QF as I already have 300,000-odd points with QF so it would be easier to manage a single large block of points than a smaller QF block and another smaller AA block. Also I think I will only make it to OW Sapphire with American Airlines... I'm wondering if I could make it to OW Emerald/Qantas Platinum with QF. I also fly Qantas more than I fly American Airlines (in general, not on this RTW trip).

In case anybody is wondering... this trip is a long holiday, not a FF miles/status gathering exercise
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sending it to Qantas would be a great way of throwing the points in the bin

I would definitely be looking at sending it to AA and potentially considering taking the Platinum Challenge for an extra 12000 ish FF miles earning. On its own , crediiting to AA will earn ( without a challenge ) around 102,000 FF miles ; 120,000 miles is enough for a business class return to Europe

c.f. Qantas where 256,000 points plus $1100 in surcharges would be required for the equivalent redemption

Potentially you may earn some extra miles to Qantas, but nowhere close to even considering given the award redemption value
Old Nov 15, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Sending it to Qantas would be a great way of throwing the points in the bin
< snip>
120,000 miles is enough for a business class return to Europe
From his/here other posts creampuff is a UK resident
Old Nov 15, 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
From his/here other posts creampuff is a UK resident
Well....reversing the direction is even worse value wise for Qantas the QF fares-disguised-as-taxes for a LHR-SYD r/t in business class would be 718.00 ( approx $1286 at current exchange rates )

For some reason I saw the 1st leg as SYD-JNB rather thna JNB-SYD and so used a points based on an AU departure

I would not consider crediting it to Qantas unless you really want some bad value earning
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:53 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
About 5-10% of QFF awards are cheaper than Aadvantage, so while AA is usually better it depends on your specific redemption goals. For the high-value awards AA is usually half price (AA has small premium for J/F awards compared to QFF). Rather ironically you can redeem some AA flights in USA cheaper using QFF than Aadvantage (short economy flights for example). Bottom line is you cannot assume point equivalence or a single conversion rate, it varies a lot with your earn/burn pattern. DONE6 can get you to Emerald status on QFF but not on AAdvantage though you'd have to work your specific routing out. Have fun.

As an aside, optimizing these DONEx is a black art, with great variance in flight quality (enjoyment). For example MIA-SCL is far worse than JFK-EZE on AA in D (I would have routed JFK-BDA-JFK-EZE/SCL for this reason). Big difference in crew bases for AA these days and JFK is very competitive market so AA has great facilities such as catering there.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6

As an aside, optimizing these DONEx is a black art, with great variance in flight quality (enjoyment). For example MIA-SCL is far worse than JFK-EZE on AA in D (I would have routed JFK-BDA-JFK-EZE/SCL for this reason). Big difference in crew bases for AA these days and JFK is very competitive market so AA has great facilities such as catering there.
Thanks for the post. And to the other people who have replied.

About the JFK-SCL flight... I did think about this as JFK-SCL is operated by Lan Chile with a nice new 787 whereas the MIA-SCL I have booked is operated by AA in an ancient 767. However, Lan Chile has unrealistic ideas about children in business class which would cost me about $8,000 to pander to, so that was an instant no-go.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I would check your AA flights within domestic USA - they are likely to be in "A" class, which is First rather than Business).
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/do/d...alPointsEarned

This should help.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA:Silver VA:Gold
AA would seem to be much the better bet for redemption value of the earned miles.
If deperate for OWE status could consider crediting to BAEC (noting you are in London) as your trip should get you there provided you ended up with 4 BA flights in that membership year. The BA points would normally prove more valuable than QF ones (but again less than AA).
3 reasons I can think of to go for QF: To consolidate your points for a One World RTW Awards. Plat would help in securing QF upgrades if you were planning to fly much with them in future. If lifetime status on QF is feasible and desirable
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:30 pm

The points from the r/t journey credited to AA will provide almost enough miles for a business class r/t journey from Europe to Australia - purchases the remaining miles needed would be lower than the fuel fines that QF would apply

This would seem to be throwing good miles after bad.

If desperate for OWE status , would do better imo just doing some other travel in the year and credit to AA and then collect the 8 systemwide upgrades from AA too

Looking at mileage earning , assuming starting with zero SCs currently then the mileage earning from the trip would be 63,584 ( if the person has done enough to meet 4 flights requirement would get another 4046) .

Crediting to AA nets around 100,000 AA miles

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 17, 2014 at 10:58 pm
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Crediting to AA nets around 100,000 AA miles
I think I am now convinced about this RTW trip - I'll be joining AAdvantage and crediting it to them.

Originally Posted by andye1
If lifetime status on QF is feasible and desirable
That's one thing I was thinking of. I'd get Qantas lifetime silver in a few years if I credit to them with my current flying pattern. But AA still comes out ahead since I could get almost a whole UK<->Aus J trip out of this one RTW.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:55 am

The benefits of OW Ruby are pretty minimal ;

priority check in is , imo, not that useful these days with online checkin facilities and self service options at the airport
Preferred seating does potentially save $25 on an airline like Qantas if wanting to choose a seat in advance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.