Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Woolworths Qantas Visa Card (previously MasterCard) being "Enhanced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woolworths Qantas Visa Card (previously MasterCard) being "Enhanced

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
New Enhancement - change to definition of International Transaction

I finally got around to reading the small print in the notification of changes to Conditions of Use that I received early this month.

The definition of an International Transaction has been changed to:
International Transaction means any Transaction made using a Card:
a) in a currency other than Australian dollars with a merchant
or financial institution located in Australia, or
b) in Australian dollars or any other currency with a merchant
or financial institution located outside Australia.
I don't have access to the old definition, but I think the text I bolded is new

The consequence as I see it, is that you can be double-charged the FX fee
- once by the overseas merchant/financial institution when it offers (and you accept) to convert the amount into AUD for you; and
- again by MacBank when it sees that it was a foreign merchant/financial institution

So I think the message is
- don't accept offers from overseas merchant/financial institutions to convert into AUD for you
- instead just let the transaction go through in the overseas currency, and MacBank will then charge you its FX fee when it converts into AUD
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
And also means that you will be charged it by certain foreign entities billing in Australia - eg. Uber used to be like this.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by moa999
And also means that you will be charged it by certain foreign entities billing in Australia - eg. Uber used to be like this.
Also ebay, Tiger Airways, cruise lines, many merchants on ebay. Yet another reason to shift to Amex.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
It has become pretty standard among all CC issuers, I even see it on my AMEX. Yes it does mean that you may think you have been charged in AUD but will still be hit by your card's FX fee.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
It has become pretty standard among all CC issuers, I even see it on my AMEX. Yes it does mean that you may think you have been charged in AUD but will still be hit by your card's FX fee.
I've never experienced this and Amex's fees page doesn't list it as a possibility. ("Foreign Transaction Fees" ... "transactions in a currency other than Australian dollars are liable to incur a foreign transaction fee.") Banks use these foreign transaction fees on AUD partly so as to get a cut of the action when customers accept DCC on international transactions, but Amex doesn't allow DCC.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Latest Enhancements - effective from 11-May-2016

Got an email today detailing the latest "enhancements" which are all to do with no longer getting QFF points for certain types of C/C transactions:
The list of types of transactions that are not eligible to earn points is outlined in section 4.3 of the Woolworths Qantas Rewards Program Terms and Conditions and now include the following:
  • payments made to the Australian Tax Office;
  • BPAY® payments, i.e. bill payments and other payments made through the BPAY Electronic Payments Scheme; and
  • transactions for items that are directly convertible to cash (including, but not limited to, purchase of foreign currency and travellers cheques) or cash equivalent transactions.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by pandaperth
BPAY® payments, i.e. bill payments and other payments made through the BPAY Electronic Payments Scheme
I got the email too. BPay is the last thing I use this card for. Without that, it basically has little purpose that the Qantas Amex can't perform for zero annual fee!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The ATO part is a killer - in recent years I have been able to pay up $2500 to them per month and generate QFF points at 0.42¢ each ...
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:08 am
Original Poster

The card is being further "enhanced"

Received an email yesterday, giving notice of a change to the T&Cs

Effective 1-April-2018, the earning will be as follows:
1 Qantas Point per $1 spent at Woolworths Supermarkets, BIG W, CALTEX WOOLWORTHS co-branded fuel outlets, BWS, Dan Murphy's and Cellarmasters
and 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent on all other eligible purchases.
I thought hard whether to keep the card when its renewal was due last December
This coming December, I think the decision will be a no-brainer
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
This card has been a joke for years yet Macquarie have found a way to make it worse.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
The card is only worthwhile if you can make the monthly 10% discount weekend for you.
Earning wise, better off elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.