Wiki Posts
Search

New timing MEL/SYD/BNE to LAX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by og
I quite like the idea of the afternoon QF SYD-LAX as sleep should be good. But onward connections may be problematic.
Connections with that later flight are cr@p for me. the mid-morning arrival was perfect, it also seems to be a less busy time at TBIT than 630am.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:11 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
The LAX-JFK legs picks up the QF11/18 numbers, wonder why QF decided to revert its decision...

New Qantas flight numbers between LAX and JFK

Qantas recently announced it would boost services to the Americas from early 2015.

Our new schedule of increased flying to Los Angeles has been published and sees some LAX-JFK flights re-numbered, effective for travel from 1 February 2015, as follows:

QF15 LAX-JFK will be re-numbered to QF11
QF16 JFK-LAX will be re-numbered to QF18

http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/info/201412/1223
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by soorox
The LAX-JFK legs picks up the QF11/18 numbers, wonder why QF decided to revert its decision...
Probably for the same reason that the A330 which operated AKL-LAX under QF25 then became QF107 for the LAX-JFK sector, it creates a single flight number SYD-JFK (and return) thereby putting it at the very top on a GDS screen.

Dave
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:15 pm

But NRT...

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
I think it signals the demise of 744 services to HKG and NRT.

They will need to do this schedule with 9 x 744s which are all they are keeping.

SYD-JNB - 2 aircraft
SYD-LAX - 2 aircraft
SYD-SCL and MEL-LAX - 2 aircraft
BNE-LAX - 2 aircraft

Probably a little slack with SYD-SCL and MEL-LAX (true needs are probably about 1.75 aircraft). Leaves 1 spare.

I see HKG and NRT going 330.
...has moved to Haneda and it is definately a 744.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by patrickk
...has moved to Haneda and it is definately a 744.
So the aircraft usage for the 744 next year looks like the following;
Refurbished
2x BNE-LAX
2x SYD-LAX-JFK
1x MEL-LAX
1x SYD-HKG
1x SYD-SCL

Mix of Refurbished and Non-Refurbished
3xSYD-JNB/HND

With two aircraft as an operational spare.

Is there any chance Qantas all refurbish two extra 744, to at least provide a consistent product on the 747? Or will the Tokyo and Johannesburg routes continue to be a roulette in terms of product offering?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Sadly giving up my QF Premium economy experience (first PE experience on any carrier) because the extremely poor on-time performance on JFK-LAX. I know its winter which could possible explain the 40% on-time performance but it seems 50% of the time Its an extreme delay and i'd miss the connection in LAX to my A380 F seat to LAX.

Since I'm on AS miles, i cannot do a AA/QF combo so had to book a separate Y award on AA. At least now I don't have to position BOS to JFK and will have time to experience the new lounge at TBIT.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by CDKing
Sadly giving up my QF Premium economy experience (first PE experience on any carrier) because the extremely poor on-time performance on JFK-LAX. I know its winter which could possible explain the 40% on-time performance but it seems 50% of the time Its an extreme delay and i'd miss the connection in LAX to my A380 F seat to LAX.

Since I'm on AS miles, i cannot do a AA/QF combo so had to book a separate Y award on AA. At least now I don't have to position BOS to JFK and will have time to experience the new lounge at TBIT.
I've got three of us traveling JFK-LAX-MEL next winter and the 70 minute connection does have me worried. I could have flown out of BOS, which would have been more convenient. AS did have enough F space surprisingly to LAX but I wanted the 747.

Ideally they'll fix the on time issues out of JFK somehow, such as moving the JFK-LAX departure to an earlier time. Guessing that isn't really possible though. I don't mind having a forced overnight in LAX, but really would like the A380 and to not be downgraded. I'd also rather have the LAX-MEL flight and not be rerouted.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Ideally they'll fix the on time issues out of JFK somehow, such as moving the JFK-LAX departure to an earlier time. Guessing that isn't really possible though. I don't mind having a forced overnight in LAX, but really would like the A380 and to not be downgraded. I'd also rather have the LAX-MEL flight and not be rerouted.
The aircraft for the LAX-JFK-LAX flights comes from BNE (QF15).
The LAX-JFK sector of QF11 (aircraft change at LAX from A380) is timed to connect from QF15, QF11 and QF93.

The return QF18 JFK-LAX is timed to connect to QF16, QF18 and QF94. The JFK-LAX aircraft either continues to SYD as QF18 or changes to BNE as QF16.

In order to improve the current 90 minute turn around at JFK, they would either have to move the ex AU departures to LAX earlier (and some people already think the QF11 departure is too early), or push the ex-LAX departures back more to midnight.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CDKing
Winter flying in the northeast USA is never a reliable proposition. I enjoy the QF option JFK-LAX too, but when flying in winter you need to choose the airline with more options. On any given day, they may all suffer from weather delays but AA will have more options for shifting around inbound flights.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:20 pm
tt7

Check-in for QF96

Does anybody know what time check-in opens at LAX?

The QF website says -
"Early check-in opens at 4pm for evening Qantas departures. Full-service check-in opens at 6pm."

I have no idea what the difference is between "early" and "full service" (other than perhaps that "early" means it only works if you have no issues/no bags ...). QF 96 (LAX-MEL) currently departs at 18.30, so I can only assume that the information on the QF website is out of date and hasn't been updated since the less-than-late-evening departures started. We have all day to get to the airport and are not adverse to some lounge time but no point in getting there before check-in opens. Anybody know what time check-in currently opens?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by tt7
Does anybody know what time check-in opens at LAX?

The QF website says -
"Early check-in opens at 4pm for evening Qantas departures. Full-service check-in opens at 6pm."

I have no idea what the difference is between "early" and "full service" (other than perhaps that "early" means it only works if you have no issues/no bags ...). QF 96 (LAX-MEL) currently departs at 18.30, so I can only assume that the information on the QF website is out of date and hasn't been updated since the less-than-late-evening departures started. We have all day to get to the airport and are not adverse to some lounge time but no point in getting there before check-in opens. Anybody know what time check-in currently opens?
Check-in typically open three hours before a flight
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by deeruck
Winter flying in the northeast USA is never a reliable proposition. I enjoy the QF option JFK-LAX too, but when flying in winter you need to choose the airline with more options. On any given day, they may all suffer from weather delays but AA will have more options for shifting around inbound flights.
Although your problem then becomes... if AA has a mx/wx cxl (or has delays)... then you could be fighting to get onto a flight if they are all full. Consequently QF will not wait for you at LAX if you're inbound on AA.

Compared to flying ex-JFK on QF... where if JFK-LAX departs late, you will still get to AU in some way (likely via SYD) if they don't hold QF16/QF94.

The end result is being potentially delayed up to 24 hours if inbound to LAX on AA, or a few hours (assuming a major capital city in AU is your final destination) on QF.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: QFF
Compared to flying ex-JFK on QF... where if JFK-LAX departs late, you will still get to AU in some way (likely via SYD) if they don't hold QF16/QF94.
They'd need to hold at least 16 if JFK-LAX was delayed, unless they send the A380 meant for the SYD flight to BNE and send the 747 from JFK through to SYD.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:56 pm

I am at LAX now and the Qantas checkin opened at 3:30 pm. I ckecked bags and came early to the lounge.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Himeno
They'd need to hold at least 16 if JFK-LAX was delayed, unless they send the A380 meant for the SYD flight to BNE and send the 747 from JFK through to SYD.
No they do not.

Both QF16 LAX-BNE and QF18 LAX-SYD are operated by a 747-400. The A380 that comes in as QF11 SYD-LAX, returns to SYD as QF12 LAX-SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.