Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Confessions from First Class"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by sxc
Okay I just picked Katy Perry as an example of actually mentioning names, but if you want to look at something that I think shouldn't be revealed...Grant Hackett wanting to pee inside the plane while having had "too many" stillnox.

It doesn't matter whether what is revealed is considered negative. Just the fact that it is being revealed by an ex-employee is bad enough.

As smit0847 notes, if QF isn't seen to expect high standards of judgement from its staff, it could bite them in the bum.
Hackett's problem with prescription drugs isn't exactly news.

If the former FA was exposing security or safety problems then this book might be an issue, but I really can't see anything here that would cause a problem. New Idea publishes more scurrilous stuff about "celebrities" every week, these people love having their names published and they really don't give a stuff about what is said.

"Confidentiality Clauses" signed by a glorified waiter with a first-aid qualification - sorry, but that's just a joke.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Bootman4U
I would have thought some people would know better than do it with a FA.
Which sleb (or slebs?) did it with him?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
\
"Confidentiality Clauses" signed by a glorified waiter with a first-aid qualification - sorry, but that's just a joke.
Why is that a joke? Crew are privy to a lot of information about their company and passengers. It's only natural that the airline (or any business for that matter) will ensure that employees don't go talking about things they shouldn't be it a trade secret or anything else they don't want the employee talking about.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:31 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by eoinnz
Why is that a joke? Crew are privy to a lot of information about their company and passengers. It's only natural that the airline (or any business for that matter) will ensure that employees don't go talking about things they shouldn't be it a trade secret or anything else they don't want the employee talking about.
Similar to "Mr Businessman" in a lounge who is in a conversation on his mobile phone concerning company business (eg acquisitions, share trading, employees, personal relationships, superiors and so on) - all at a volume where everyone else in the lounge can hear clearly.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
From what I read in the article, it is all uninteresting gossip.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by eoinnz
So no different really to pretty much anyone working for any organisation.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
From what I read in the article, it is all uninteresting gossip.
Agree. Nothing to see here.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by smit0847
I doubt it was either - what I mean is that I'm amazed QF haven't sought a legal injunction to stop the publishing!
I don't know what the rules are in Australia, but the book was published by Random House which means it was published in the United States. There is no such thing in the U.S. as an "injunction" to stop someone publishing a book, especially when it is nothing but celebrity gossip.

I sometimes read postings in forums where people from outside the U.S. have trouble understanding that in the U.S., there is no press censorship. You can publish anything you like even including things considered government secrets. The government can prosecute the person responsible for leaking the information (such as Bradley (Chelsea) Manning), but cannot stop the publishing.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by eghansen
I don't know what the rules are in Australia, but the book was published by Random House which means it was published in the United States.
Not necessarily:
http://www.randomhouse.com.au/
"Random House is one of Australia's largest book publishers. We publish a wide range of fiction, non-fiction, illustrated, classics and children's books under imprints ..."

There is no such thing in the U.S. as an "injunction" to stop someone publishing a book, especially when it is nothing but celebrity gossip.

I sometimes read postings in forums where people from outside the U.S. have trouble understanding that in the U.S., there is no press censorship. You can publish anything you like even including things considered government secrets. The government can prosecute the person responsible for leaking the information (such as Bradley (Chelsea) Manning), but cannot stop the publishing.
To be honest I prefer our way, we are much better protected from people publishing lies. I don't see that as censorship, I see it as fairness and one of the many reasons why we are a much less litigious country than the US.

From the little I've seen about this silly book nobody has anything to worry about and Qantas would do well to totally ignore it.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:19 pm

Generally the remedy for the violation of a confidentiality clause is suit for damages after publication, not injunction of publication.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingtheearth
Generally the remedy for the violation of a confidentiality clause is suit for damages after publication, not injunction of publication.
Is there a confidentiality clause? If so, has he actually broken it?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:33 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Is there a confidentiality clause? If so, has he actually broken it?
I know EK has one and it's reinforced when you resign from the company. I would be surprised if QF doesn't.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
I know EK has one and it's reinforced when you resign from the company. I would be surprised if QF doesn't.
so we still don't know whether there is one, and if there is whether or not it's been broken.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Josh Davis
It is generally a defence to 'libel', that the comment was in fact 'true'
In some common law jurisdictions, notably the US, truth is an absolute defence to charges of defamation. But that's not the case in the UK, NZ, or Oz. In those places it's a very strong defence, but nowhere near absolute.

Originally Posted by eghansen
I don't know what the rules are in Australia, but the book was published by Random House which means it was published in the United States.
Publishing is place of business, not place of ownership. It was published in Oz.

There is no such thing in the U.S. as an "injunction" to stop someone publishing a book, especially when it is nothing but celebrity gossip.
Of course there is. It's called a restraining order in most of the US. Getting one depends on the what and who. Alleging defamation or breach of contract is a good way to get a restraining order.

I sometimes read postings in forums where people from outside the U.S. have trouble understanding that in the U.S., there is no press censorship.
I'm constantly amazed at the number of yanks that think they have a free press in the US. It's better than many places, but the idea that there is no censorship is a cultural fantasy.

You can publish anything you like even including things considered government secrets. The government can prosecute the person responsible for leaking the information (such as Bradley (Chelsea) Manning), but cannot stop the publishing.
I wouldn't put money on that one if I were you.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost

Of course there is. It's called a restraining order in most of the US. Getting one depends on the what and who. Alleging defamation or breach of contract is a good way to get a restraining order.
No, no, it really isn't. There is no way that a U.S. court would enter even a TRO against the publication of, e.g., celebrity gossip on the grounds that the author was breaching a contractual obligation of confidentiality.

(--Actual U.S. lawyer who knows the difference between a "restraining order" and a preliminary or permanent injunction)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.