Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

? Possible to change Red e-deal destination online

Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

I have a SYD-TMW return ticket and in the fare rules it states with regard to changes:

Your new booking must be for travel anywhere on the Qantas network within 12 months of the date that the original ticket was issued. However, you cannot re-book and travel on the same day
When I go into Manage My Bookings I can see how to change the flight dates (with fare difference and $77 Change Fee)but not how to Cancel for Credit (minus the change fee) or rebook for a different destination. Is this possible online? Thanks

Don't worry - found the answer on qantas.com of all places

Note:Only date, time or via points within existing from and to cities, can be changed online at qantas.com. Contact your local Qantas Contact Centre for all other changes, including destination, name and travel class, changes for unaccompanied minors or in the case that changes are not required for all passengers. Service fees apply.

Another question though - the return fare is $380. Change fee is $77 x 2 I presume and telephone service fee is $40. So would I end up with a credit of $380 -$154 -$40 = $186 which I can use online to book another destination with no more fees due? Or, more likely , do I fork out another $194 and get a $380 credit that can only be used on N/Q fares or above as those are the original booking class?

Last edited by 3544quebec; Jun 17, 2014 at 1:52 pm
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
You should be able to cancel online - this would return a "voucher" with a face value of $380, but an effective value of that less the change fee x 2.

You can then use the voucher to book a one-way or return trip originating in Australia.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:36 am
Original Poster

thanks-I can see a Change button which brings up SYD-ARM flight options but I can't see a cancel option
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
I think you have to go deeper into it, than VIEW/CHANGE/CHECKIN.
Click that one, and then when you see, the flight details in detail, ie, with date/s, flight number, departure time, arrival time, somewhere about there, will be the ability to cancel flights.
EDIT: It then says, ONLINE CHECK IN, CANCEL, SELECT SEATS, CHANGE.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
I don't think you can change the desto, without cancelling the trip.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
I think you have to go deeper into it, than VIEW/CHANGE/CHECKIN.
Click that one, and then when you see, the flight details in detail, ie, with date/s, flight number, departure time, arrival time, somewhere about there, will be the ability to cancel flights.
EDIT: It then says, ONLINE CHECK IN, CANCEL, SELECT SEATS, CHANGE.
Thanks but my booking only shows ONLINE CHECK IN, SELECT SEATS, CHANGE.

Maybe it is a QantasLink thing.

Had to ring - no phone service fee charged but only allows me to book a fare eg BNE-SYD return that is available for $292 AI with a total payment including voucher of $169 ie my $380 voucher only has a real usable value of $123
Old Jun 17, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I would do is call and cancel the booking.

They should then create the voucher, I was referring to.

A fee should not be charged for doing this since you could not "cancel online".
Old Jun 17, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I would do is call and cancel the booking.

They should then create the voucher, I was referring to.

A fee should not be charged for doing this since you could not "cancel online".
Old Jun 17, 2014, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Thanks but my booking only shows ONLINE CHECK IN, SELECT SEATS, CHANGE.

Maybe it is a QantasLink thing.

Had to ring - no phone service fee charged but only allows me to book a fare eg BNE-SYD return that is available for $292 AI with a total payment including voucher of $169 ie my $380 voucher only has a real usable value of $123

You have to redeem the value of the old flight against a flight at least as expensive as before, so the new flight has to cost $380+ . You also have to pay the change fee on top of that, so the minimum cash outlay to your new booking will be $154 , so $169 cash outlay is not much more than the minimum

It may be that redeeming on SYD-BNE is not the best value for you to use it since you will likely be having to redeem on a higher fare than lowest. If used for SYD-BNE r/t , what booking class does it book in to?

You cannot use you $380 voucher against a $292 fare since the $292 fare is less than the old fare. You need to use it against a higher fare
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You have to redeem the value of the old flight against a flight at least as expensive as before, so the new flight has to cost $380+ . You also have to pay the change fee on top of that, so the minimum cash outlay to your new booking will be $154 , so $169 cash outlay is not much more than the minimum

It may be that redeeming on SYD-BNE is not the best value for you to use it since you will likely be having to redeem on a higher fare than lowest. If used for SYD-BNE r/t , what booking class does it book in to?

You cannot use you $380 voucher against a $292 fare since the $292 fare is less than the old fare. You need to use it against a higher fare
Thanks for the explanation - so it seems for the best value with lowest extra outlay from the voucher for a return fare I have to find a destination where the oneway fare is as close to but above $190 or for a oneway trip as close to but above $380.
I'm not sure of the fare code that the BNE fare I was looking at booked into but it was a semi-flexible rather than Red e-deal fare.

It looks as though only one change fee is charged if I try to use the voucher, so I'll be out only $77 + any extra fare above $190 each way
eg I can find SYD-CNS at $209 each way which gives me a return ticket for $77 + (2 X $19) = $115

Now if Qantas will just raise the SYD - Townsville Red e-deal fare by a dollar or 2 above the current $189 I could limit my outlay to $77 and have a week at the Holiday Inn on the Points Break list. I hope it gets a bit colder here in Sydney this winter to make a North Queensland getaway more enticing.

Serfty was correct - no telephone service fee was charged

Thanks to all who gave their advice
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Thanks for the explanation - so it seems for the best value with lowest extra outlay from the voucher for a return fare I have to find a destination where the oneway fare is as close to but above $190 or for a oneway trip as close to but above $380.
I'm not sure of the fare code that the BNE fare I was looking at booked into but it was a semi-flexible rather than Red e-deal fare.

It looks as though only one change fee is charged if I try to use the voucher, so I'll be out only $77 + any extra fare above $190 each way
eg I can find SYD-CNS at $209 each way which gives me a return ticket for $77 + (2 X $19) = $115

Now if Qantas will just raise the SYD - Townsville Red e-deal fare by a dollar or 2 above the current $189 I could limit my outlay to $77 and have a week at the Holiday Inn on the Points Break list. I hope it gets a bit colder here in Sydney this winter to make a North Queensland getaway more enticing.

Serfty was correct - no telephone service fee was charged

Thanks to all who gave their advice
If it is just 1 x $77 fee, then yes, try and use it where the lowest one way fare is at least $190 and you will get the best value

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.