Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

50% off certain Domestic Awards - or so the say

Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:25 am
Original Poster

50% off Classic Awards to Hamilton Island and more

To celebrate the launch of our new domestic services, we're offering you 50% off the Qantas Points10 required for Qantas Economy Classic Awards9 on direct services between Sydney and Hamilton Island, Sydney and Hervey Bay, Brisbane and Port Macquarie and between Melbourne and Coffs Harbour for travel between 13 Jul – 17 Sep 2014. Offer ends 13 June 2014.
10 The 50% off offer applies to the usual Qantas Points required for an Economy Classic Award booking on the Qantas direct services specified above only and does not apply to the taxes, fees and carrier charges which are payable in addition to the Qantas Points required. This offer is only valid for Qantas Economy Classic Award bookings made between 6 – 13 June 2014 for travel between 13 July – 17 September 2014. The Qantas Points amounts quoted exclude any local airport fees collected at the time of check-in, which you must pay. Applicable Qantas Points amount will be displayed during the booking process on qantas.com. This offer is only available for bookings on qantas.com and bookings made via Qantas Direct are not eligible for this offer. If a booking includes transfers with other partner airlines (including flights operated by Qantas), no discount will apply for the entire itinerary. Qantas Any Seat Award bookings are not included in this offer.
I can't find any discounted awards SYD-BNE
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:36 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Why would you? The only Sydney routes are to Hamilton Island and Hervey Bay according to what you posted.

This isn't a network-wide promotion, it is specific to those four routes.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I picked 1 day at random, and it offered SYD-HTI for 6000 points which would seem to be half price for a 945 mile journey
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Originally Posted by DCF
Why would you? The only Sydney routes are to Hamilton Island and Hervey Bay according to what you posted.

This isn't a network-wide promotion, it is specific to those four routes.
I interpreted it as
Sydney and Hamilton Island,
Sydney and Hervey Bay, Brisbane and Port Macquarie
and between Melbourne and Coffs Harbour

Clearly, not the correct interpretation but so incensed am I with QF's handling of the Chauffeur Drive issue that it was difficult for me to see the email clearly through the spittle flying in all directions

At least an or so they say in the title is very meek compared to some of the vociferous rants that appear here. Otherwise I would be , now I am just

Last edited by 3544quebec; Jun 6, 2014 at 5:33 am
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
yes, correct punctuation would have been to use the ; rather than the , . Sadly, few understand this any more...
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
yes, correct punctuation would have been to use the ; rather than the , . Sadly, few understand this any more...
The punctuation was actually correct. A semicolon should not be in there at all. A semicolon may be appropriate to replace a full stop but should not be in that list. The comma is separating each item in the list

"Sydney and Hamilton Island, Sydney and Hervey Bay, Brisbane and Port Macquarie and between Melbourne and Coffs Harbour"

is correct for
Sydney and Hamilton Island
Sydney and Hervey Bay
Brisbane and Port Macquarie
Melbourne and Coffs Harbour

There could be a justification for additional punctuation if there could be ambigiuity with "and" or "," occurring within airport names to avoid risk of being read as

between Sydney and an airport called
Hervey Bay, Brisbane and Port Macquarie

or

between Sydney and airport called Hervey Bay, Brisbane
plus
between Sydney and Port Macquarie

but since no appropriate airports exist with names containg "and" or "," in them , then it was actually correctly punctuated

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 6, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.

Last edited by VH-RMD; Jun 7, 2014 at 5:42 am Reason: not actually worth debating
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Ah, an instance where the good old Oxford comma would have been useful!
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Ah, an instance where the good old Oxford comma would have been useful!
"Commas have had relatively low take-up, so rather than persist with the overheads of keeping the service on offer we're removing it will reinvest in things that are of more value to our customers" a Qantas spokesperson told Australian Business Traveller."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.