Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Standby on Qantas flight booked with AA miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond

Hello all,

Does Qantas allow standbys for an earlier (domestic) flight if it was booked using AA miles? Currently, I've got a flight from SYD arriving in MEL at 8pm on May 18, connecting to QF9 - MEL-LHR the following day. Any earlier SYD-MEL flight would exceed 24 hours, so I was hoping to go standby. Would Qantas allow this? Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:18 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Not to my knowledge. If, however, QF are actively trying to move people onto earlier flights due to, for example (1) approaching bad weather, or (2) cancelation of the late / last flight, then you might have a chance of such a move forward. If you have high status, you might get more of an audience (in the Qantas Club lounge) if you make the request - otherwise I wouldn't expect anything.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:38 pm

I had a good experience on DXB-LHR, booked on QF1 which was showing a 40-minute delay into DXB was able to be rebooked onto QF9 which left/departed on time. Was in F booked with AA miles. The only downside was less time at the lounges, but worth it overall in order to arrive at the office on time.

I doubt that it would have worked if QF1 was showing an on-time arrival, however.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by og
Not to my knowledge. If, however, QF are actively trying to move people onto earlier flights due to, for example (1) approaching bad weather, or (2) cancelation of the late / last flight, then you might have a chance of such a move forward. If you have high status, you might get more of an audience (in the Qantas Club lounge) if you make the request - otherwise I wouldn't expect anything.
Agree in general, but on high frequency routes like SYD-MEL, I have several times (on reward tickets) been but on an earlier flight when checking in. I suspect the rationale - what if later in the day there are issues (weather, mechanical, others with misconnections, etc) then it is better to fill up the earlier aircraft. These routes have 767s and A300s.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:58 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cova
..... These routes have .. A300s.
Ouch. The 330s are not that old!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by og
Originally Posted by cova
Agree in general, but on high frequency routes like SYD-MEL, I have several times (on reward tickets) been but on an earlier flight when checking in. I suspect the rationale - what if later in the day there are issues (weather, mechanical, others with misconnections, etc) then it is better to fill up the earlier aircraft. These routes have 767s and A300s.
Agree with the above - I am sitting in the SYD QF Business lounge now having checked in at 12.30 for a 4pm flight to MEL on an Aadvantage ticket. I was asked at check-in if I would like an earlier flight and put on the 2pm departure. There are currently some weather delays in SYD.
On the 1 or 2 occasions that I have requested an earlier flight I have been told that I would need to contact AA to change the ticket.
(Bad) Weather is your friend sometimes
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
QF are generally sticklers for the rules if you call the call centre etc.

but once at the airport, the customer service agents, particularly those in the lounge (albeit not that useful if you have luggage) tend to be more flexible.

That said has been reported on another forum that there have been some recent directives to limit flexibility on the cheaper inflexible tickets, but as always YMMV depending on the agent
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
I've had 100% success standing by on an earlier domestic flight using an award ticket. Standing by for a later flight is the same as a no-show.

While Qantas agents religiously follow rules, some go above and beyond to help (e.g. if at first you don't succeed, ask at another counter).
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:59 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAGMAP
I've had 100% success standing by on an earlier domestic flight using an award ticket. Standing by for a later flight is the same as a no-show.

While Qantas agents religiously follow rules, some go above and beyond to help (e.g. if at first you don't succeed, ask at another counter).
Are you talking about MEL? There are only so many counters you can visit without the staff recognising you. In any case, your success record is admirable.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Originally Posted by og
Are you talking about MEL? There are only so many counters you can visit without the staff recognising you. In any case, your success record is admirable.
MEL didn't prove too bad but still ended up shelling out $450 to get back to SYD after no-showing. Started off in Domestic Business Lounge (incredibly rude), then Customer Service counter past security (slightly nicer but unwilling to accommodate) followed by Ticketing counter outside security (very nice lady took pity and moved me to next day's flight).
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by og
Agreed, I have both succeeded and failed in getting moved to and earlier flight at MEL when on an award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.