Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Who’s bringing an Airbus A380 to DFW?

Old May 7, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sant
I'd be curious to see if only one A380 will be parked at Terminal D at a time.

Per DFW's twitter account...

Does this mean there will be more A380s available in case of mechanical issues? On my last SYD-LAX flight, they had to swipe out an A380 for a B747.
Lucky they had a spare and suitably qualified crew.

I thought the QF7 aeroplane sat at the DFW aerodrome for about 10 hours before returning as QF8. At LAX this downtime is used for maintenance where two A380s & one 744 sit idle up to 12 hours between flights. With some alterations such as a slightly earlier departure out of SYD and two hour turn around at DFW maybe the QF8 could become a 'daytime' flight back non-stop to SYD.
(I concede having the aeroplane back in SYD at 10pm might not be of any additional use until the next morning)
Old May 7, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The QF7/QF8 turnaround is more like 6 hours - given the aircraft is generally parked near the "TF" area during this period little "hard" maintenance would seem to be done.
Old May 7, 2014, 7:26 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Aspen
With QA's current fleet of Airbus (A330) there would have been two recent opportunities to purchase some not too old second hand A345 aeroplanes very cheaply. Thai gave up on non stops BKK-JFK years ago and SIA only last year abandoned the SIN-EWR 18 hour flight. I am naively believing there would be significant similarities between the A330 and A340 in terms of maintenance and pilot flying.
The A345 never lived up to its claims - but if the price was right SYD-DFW-SYD would have been very achievable and those aeroplanes good for another 10 years.

(of course, 20/20 hindsight & not playing with one's own money is very helpful for me to propose such lunacy)
Originally Posted by og
QA

I'm sure the 345 can go almost anywhere, so long as you don't mind carrying feather weight loadings. I presume no airline wants an orphan aircraft (thinking back to the 747SP). For starters, the engines are different to the 330 so that's a whole maintenance area that needs to be established.

If TG and SQ didn't want the 345, perhaps QF made a sound business decision and thought the same way (ie avoid it).
The problem with the A340 is on long runs, you need to carry extra fuel, just to carry the weight of the fuel for the trip. That is why SQ mage it all business class. At current fuel prices, it is not profitable on longer routes and on shorter ones, an A330 is more capable and more efficient. There's a reason almost every airline operating them are dumping them.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Nehawk
Any news on the departure time each day?
Historically, it seems that Qantas try to stick with the US times, and let the Australian times "float" (e.g. this is what happens during daylight savings).

Maybe they want to make the DFW departure slightly later to avoid butting too hard against the Sydney curfew during the northern summer, but I'd guess the times will be fairly similar to now.

The press release says tickets on sale 14th May, so presumably the schedule will be loaded in the next few days.
Old May 8, 2014, 4:43 am

Programs: QFF
On the QF online timetable, they've changed it to the 6 weekly, but still list a 744 and the BNE stop.

They've changed QF9 on MEL-LHR, but not QF10...
Old May 8, 2014, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by jridge
The press release says tickets on sale 14th May, so presumably the schedule will be loaded in the next few days.
Do they typically load new award inventory at the time as well? For F?
Old May 8, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bmchris
Do they typically load new award inventory at the time as well? For F?
I'm envisioning the AAdvantage calendar lit up in purple every single day on the SYD-DFW route. Wishful thinking.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Nehawk
I'm envisioning the AAdvantage calendar lit up in purple every single day on the SYD-DFW route. Wishful thinking.
Except Tuesdays of course.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:13 pm

Christmas in May - who would have thought?

Fingers crossed of course.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage

On my LAX-MEL flight, the A380 required an unscheduled refueling stop in SYD due to storms around MEL.

On a DFW-SYD, where would the A380 stop for refueling if there is a storm around SYD? Would it divert to BNE for refueling?
Old May 8, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sant
On my LAX-MEL flight, the A380 required an unscheduled refueling stop in SYD due to storms around MEL.

On a DFW-SYD, where would the A380 stop for refueling if there is a storm around SYD? Would it divert to BNE for refueling?
Fog is the most common problem affecting the first arriving flights in the morning 05:00-08:00 especially at this time of year.

NAN seems to be most in line (but can it handle the A380?) followed by BNE and AKL has been used by the QF 744

UAL last year diverted a 744 to CBR
Old May 8, 2014, 8:32 pm

I have dfw-bne booked on quantas 744 on October 7 (TUESDAY)

At first I was really happy, now I have a feeling I am gonna get screwed out of my ticket. Anyone know what might happen to me.

I booked business with american miles
Old May 8, 2014, 9:31 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by drdrew450
I have dfw-bne booked on quantas 744 on October 7 (TUESDAY)

At first I was really happy, now I have a feeling I am gonna get screwed out of my ticket. Anyone know what might happen to me.

I booked business with american miles
If QANTAS (no "U" - please) no longer operates as per your ticket, then expect to be rebooked via SYD. May be wise to be proactive and phone AA rather than wait for them to call / email you).
Old May 8, 2014, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by og
If QANTAS (no "U" - please) no longer operates as per your ticket, then expect to be rebooked via SYD. May be wise to be proactive and phone AA rather than wait for them to call / email you).
Being a Tuesday, there will be no QF8 operating.

Expect to be booked via LAX onto QF16 ... just watch they don't try to put you into Economy for DFW-LAX.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:43 am

I see another problem with the schedule change. A lot of reaturants run kids eat free on Tuesdays (at least in Dallas). Applebees, Cristinas, Hooters, Black Eyed Pea, Dennys, JCs to name a few. http://www.metroplexbaby.com/ParentG...Fort-Worth.htm

They may have lost some of the economy crowd to Delta, UA, Virgin. Many people eat out after arriving on a flight.

Last edited by bmchris; May 9, 2014 at 10:52 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.