Future of Qantas

Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
'Fact sheet' which breaks down all the important parts of the announcements today:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/209513859/Qantas-Fact-Sheet
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The obvious alternatives would be to move the departure from MEL until closer to midnight, or to move the departure from LHR to about lunchtime. But I can't see how doing something of both would easily work. So we could get a partial adoption of the old times.
Or move both the MEL departure closer to midnight AND the departure from LHR to mid morning or lunchtime. With this, it frees up one A380 from the LHR services if you turn around SYD originating services to MEL and vice versa. Not sure how that would impact LAX services though.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ANstar
Let me guess the LHR-MEL flights will be retimed and not be as attractive... then in 12 months they will cut them.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them terminate in DXB to be honest and let EK take the onward pax
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
The 767 announcement is a little odd as they still have 16 of them, so they are a major component of the airline whether we like them or not. Considering they are not being replaced, what aircraft is going to fly these routes?
Domestic sectors replaced by 738 or 330 (if BNE/SYD/MEL-PER or peak BNE/SYD/MEL flight). International sectors replaced by 330s.
There will be fewer domestic widebody flights.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Or move both the MEL departure closer to midnight AND the departure from LHR to mid morning or lunchtime. With this, it frees up one A380 from the LHR services if you turn around SYD originating services to MEL and vice versa.
Fair enough - that could work.
Originally Posted by Himeno
There will be fewer domestic widebody flights.
Indeed - the strategy update says:-
Qantas Domestic will increase utilisation of narrow-body aircraft, allowing Airbus A330 aircraft in the domestic market to concentrate solely on East-West services and peak services on the Sydney-Melbourne-Brisbane triangle.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:35 am

At what point will Emirates tell Qantas to get lost, they have more of Aus air travel than QF?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 747-444
At what point will Emirates tell Qantas to get lost, they have more of Aus air travel than QF?
Probably when EK is confident that QF has become so dependent on EK that QF could no longer survive the blow!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Or move both the MEL departure closer to midnight AND the departure from LHR to mid morning or lunchtime. With this, it frees up one A380 from the LHR services if you turn around SYD originating services to MEL and vice versa. Not sure how that would impact LAX services though.
Personally I actually think the above is the most sensible suggestion offered by AJ's board to date. Shame the rest of the solutions don't seem as pragmatic.

I'm still concerned that AJ's supposed tilt towards Asia never really happened. Unattractive flight times ahoy and consequently more cuts to come. I'm also have a feeling that whilst JQ is arguably the most successful LCC attached to a legacy to date, whether the dual focus has actually helped to kill both. Initially JQ was eating into QF, but now it seems that perhaps it has also possibly eaten into itself.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by 747-444
EK won't care. They have no financial stake in the relationship and are probably enjoying the feed QF are giving them. QF's perilous state, even if the feeds dwindle probably have little impact.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Personally I actually think the above is the most sensible suggestion offered by AJ's board to date. Shame the rest of the solutions don't seem as pragmatic.
They talk about cutting ground time, yet they only fix one route that had the problem? (eg, NRT, LAX, LHR)

They said in December that they were looking at 300m losses, they announced 252m. Overestimate, or gains since they mentioned "300m"?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Himeno
They talk about cutting ground time, yet they only fix one route that had the problem? (eg, NRT, LAX, LHR)

They said in December that they were looking at 300m losses, they announced 252m. Overestimate, or gains since they mentioned "300m"?
Softening up?

On another matter, AJ was interviewed with AJ on the ABC 7:30 Report this evening. There is one particular part that I found interesting and indeed directly refutes what many 'pundits' have been quoted: (Qantas chief gives no guarantees on keeping jobs in Australia - 27/02/2014)
SARAH FERGUSON: ... the response of many analysts today is that this announcement of yours was not strong enough. If we look, for example, just at the international arm, part of the business which is losing huge sums of money, you haven't taken the hard decisions to cut the loss-making routes. Why should you get handouts if you're not prepared - you and your board are not prepared to take those decisions?

ALAN JOYCE: But we have. I mean, if you think of the routes that we have taken out, we've withdrawn two of our services to London, we've withdrawn from Frankfurt, we've withdrawn from Auckland, LA. I could keep on listing...

SARAH FERGUSON
: Yes, but you haven't attacked the big loss routes in South America, in South Africa.

ALAN JOYCE: But you don't know the route profitability of Qantas. And can I tell you that every route that's left generates cash for us. ...
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Call me a lazy dog, is there anywhere in the breakdown of the talk by Alan, that mentions bringing in an annual fee for the QFF or QL (Qantas Loyalty) program, similar to Air Asia's Big?

Tongue in cheek, or in reality (one day-look at what happened to Ansett), I will keep flying QF till the last flight flies out of Adelaide, and fly JQ or VA or TT back.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Did he really actually say "we have withdrawn from Auckland, LA"? Is that the NZ Auckland?

How many places in the world are name Auckland, apart from the one in NZ.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
Did he really actually say "we have withdrawn from Auckland, LA"? Is that the NZ Auckland?

How many places in the world are name Auckland, apart from the one in NZ.
I assume he was referring to the old ex MEL A330/B744 service operated between AKL and LAX.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:50 am

I pulled the old MEL-LHR flight times out of a pdf timetable stored on the internet archive from early 2010

QF29
MEL-HKG 2250 0550+1
HKG-LHR 0735 1330

QF30
LHR-HKG 1220 0710+1
HKG-MEL 0900 2000

QF9
MEL-SIN 1530 2115
SIN-LHR 2305 0540+1

QF10
LHR-SIN 2205 1755+1
SIN-MEL 1945 0445+2

Using something like the old 29/30 times would allow for each aircraft to trade routes at LHR and remain there for ~6 hours each instead of the ~16 hours they do now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.